Open Source Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by AlexRMC92, Feb 19, 2013.

1. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Ow I send you a PM, but are you talking about a server, metal, cpu? or the software?

(and, if some images and code quotes i got are true... ms actualy might still use certain keys or ways in current live.. So im still not sure if MS would be happy for us making a "freeware" "opensource" xbox live.. unless we cut all the authentication and just let games connect to our titleservers (and use our own "ticket" system for encryption/anti hacking)
    .. and I try to keep page 1 of this thread in mind... lots of work to do still (if opensource)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Lukew

Lukew Rapidly Rising Member

I'm going to have no debug console for a while. My brother literally found a v1.4 console in the roof of a campervan thats being broken for parts. We opened it up today, made sure it hadn't been water damaged, flashed a new bios to the TSOP and reboot reboot frag. Not sure what went wrong but I'm going to leave my debug's LPC chip in until I either find a fix, or buy him another console and use this one for RAM tp upgrade the debug. If Benny's modchips are available soon I will buy 10 of them, I'm having no luck with TSOP flashing at the mo.

3. Lukew

I suppose if the same keys may still be in use, we could just change them as a precautionary measure. If we have the kernel source, and can replace the dashboard, I'm sure it's possible. I assume the dash would be able to tweak live settings after updates, I can't see Microsoft not having a way to change the authentication keys during an update.

I think we should compile a collection of all the dashboards, stock kernel images and information we have in one place. I'm willing to setup a small (raspberry pi) server to host resources on, maybe I will have more luck with that than my recent xbox mods!!

Ss4gogeta0 and CodeAsm like this.
  4. Ss4gogeta0

Ss4gogeta0 Game Modder & Indie Game Designer

hell, im all for this.

although im sure a valid arguement can be raised that this would technically fall under the "abandonware" banner due to being obsolete and unsupported by microsoft to a degree (not knowing whether they still use any of the source code at all is a bit of a wild card)

Plus using the source code for research purposes would be harbored under the fair use doctrine. and transformative work (ie: if you were to use parts of microsofts source code in building your own xbox live derivative. The smaller the percentage of the source code you use, the more likely that your project will be considered "fair use") plus the fact that Microsoft is also not making any current income off of it means that there is even more of a chance that an open source Xbox Live would be considered "fair use" and more than likely ignored by Microsoft.

anyway sorry for my copyright rant, havnt slept and its already 12 in the afternoon. 2 rockstars and 3 cups of coffee dont bode well for the mind.

(Note: they dont even mention the original xbox on the official xbox website, which is rather sad but also confirms that it would fall under abandonware to an extent where Microsoft does not give 2 fucks what people do with it)

5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Abandonware isn't a real thing. And it isn't Fair Use, at all.

CodeAsm likes this.
  6. Lukew

Considering there are a lot of games out there that are online multiplayer only, you could also say that the game they paid for is now less than useless. There is nothing inherently wrong with reverse engineering a protocol. In fact, there is more wrong with every single modified console out there than there is with re-implementing Live. XBMC uses the SDK, so do pretty much all of the alt. dashboards, every hacked BIOS out there can play copies of games, and as we all know, it wasn't simple HEX editing, but the use of a leaked kernel source that created most of them.

I'd say it's more acceptable to get back functionality than use a leaked development kit to compile software to run on a games console that has had it's kernel modified by using leaked (and very much copyrighted) source code, had it's hard drive replaced with one to copy games to so that the disc (and proof of ownership/license) is not required, and also had security keys extracted from secure ROM to enable said hacked kernel to be used on the console.

7. Ss4gogeta0

eh, abandonware is more of an ideal than a thing.

still I am all for this open source Xbox Live concept and I will be checking in on it every now and then

8. DarrenRainey

DarrenRainey Member

By all means go for it I would love a place to have a collection of mod files and some source code in one place. I would also recommend setting up a wiki on it as well

9. Lukew

I was actually thinking about this today at work. I received my other 2 consoles yesterday, and both of them work. I have 7 working xbox's so I think the one with a dead DVD drive will become a Linux server, as long as Cromwell can be flashed to TSOP and not give me a massive ball of fail :)

10. DarrenRainey

DarrenRainey Member

good i was thinking about doing the same thing but I dont think an xbox would be a good server

11. Lukew

Small, low power, reliable and with only a few users accessing FTP, won't be needing a huge amount of power.

12. Lukew

I have a server almost setup. the address is openxbl.organiccrap.com running on an Xbox on Debian Etch. If it craps out or ends up being slower than a PS2 I'll get it moved onto something a bit more powerful as long as I can keep the power consumption down :)

I'm going to setup FTP/user accounts for anyone who wants one, and create a shared read only FTP account so everyone can read everyone else's data, but not write to it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  13. DarrenRainey

DarrenRainey Member

awesome could I get an ftp account or even a ssh account so I can git clone some off my files

14. Lukew

I'll setup an account, but it would only be FTP for now. I have 2 consoles that have dead optical drives, so what I was planning on doing was running some web services on one, and some on the other. I have 5 fully working so I'm not going to bother keeping these 2 for gaming, but they ain't dead enough to warrant salvaging parts from.

15. DarrenRainey

DarrenRainey Member

awesome could u give me some login details asap please to upload my files

16. Lukew

I have setup a not-too-weedy web server, Core 2 duo with 3 gig of RAM, not too bad for a single website and some FTP access. I gave up on using Xbox consoles for now. I wanted to use Webmin and Virtualmin to keep the account management simple, the issue is together they used up over 200 meg of RAM, I had the poor thing trying to run the entire system from a 250 meg swapfile and 64 meg physical memory.

The Wiki is open at http://openxbl.organiccrap.com. I've set it to account required and registration is open. I'm re-jggering my home network at the mo, using the server as my gateway and installing a separate fibre modem, so there may be some outage in the next few hours, but not much :)

ToXZiN 1 likes this.
  17. Ss4gogeta0

guess I cant hop on until I get my wireless network installed on thursday

[​IMG]

The apartment complex's public wifi network seems to hate your site :D

18. Lukew

I'm using a free dynamic DNS service, I can't host the nameserver myself. I'm assuming it's due to this, wildly different addresses between DNS servers and hosts.

19. Ss4gogeta0

possibly. but as I said, on the 15th I wont have this problem anymore so dont worry about it :p

20. Lukew

Emails are being stuffed into spam folders too. A proper domain name may be appropriate at some point if this project gathers any steam :)