Open Source Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by AlexRMC92, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I would think so, if only for the preservation effort.

2. WhatIsDaE

WhatIsDaE Member

Not sure the legality, or if MS would care too much, but I have all the code to do it.

3. Borman

I doubt Microsoft would want to see an Xbox Live server going using their code, but Im glad it exists.

4. WhatIsDaE

WhatIsDaE Member

Well it's definitely worth a shot, as long as its hosted somewhere Eastern Europe It'd probably be out of reach

5. Borman

The biggest case would be made for restoring functionality to online games without system link. Everything is worth a shot at some point.

6. WhatIsDaE

WhatIsDaE Member

Well it already includes Halo 2

7. Borman

Even leaderboards for Ninja Gaiden would be awesome.

8. WhatIsDaE

WhatIsDaE Member

I'm sure if we had one up and running, people would slowly move content like that into it, build it in even.

9. Borman

I mean, they were a thing back in the day, but they are totally gone at this point. Thats why the original XBL still matters.

10. WhatIsDaE

WhatIsDaE Member

Problem is sourcing a server that I can rack mount to run Svr2003 (What they used and required) that would support a good amount of clients.

11. Borman

Step 1 would be to get something, anything, running to see if it is even possible or feasible.

12. WhatIsDaE

WhatIsDaE Member

It's been done, just needs to be properly implemented

Borman likes this.
  13. Borman

Good to know it actually works. I only have limited knowledge of what is out there for the Xbox, I know there is a relatively full tree of the dashboard and all of that out there but beyond that, who knows.

14. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

First time I hear about that. Would it be worth my time looking for this, or has it been kept private?

15. DarrenRainey

DarrenRainey Member

Yes and No

We want to make our own xbox live server if possible to avoid legal issues but we need a base or some code to start with in order to create are alternative

CodeAsm likes this.
  16. WhatIsDaE

WhatIsDaE Member

Problem is, to start with their code you're already in legal issues.

17. Borman

Its private. I dont even have access to it.

Totally, but at this point, people dont even seem to realize what made the Xbox modding do as well as it did, which was using Microsoft stuff over and over again.

18. Lukew

Lukew Rapidly Rising Member

Using leaked code within a privately accessible network isn't likely to cause any issues. Simply being able to establish a connection and sniff packets would be a great help. Providing that the leaked code cannot be used to compromise the integrity of the current network, I can't see a small group of people using it to reverse engineer an old protocol and write an open implementation being an issue. All of us here most likely in possession of stolen code in hacked bios's, EVO-X, XBMC, and all the tools created to give access to Microsoft's proprietary file system formats could be classed as only existing to allow the circumvention of copy protection measures.

I say to hell with the legal issues initially, is it going to be worth trying to sue 6 or 7 people in 3 or 4 different countries for using leaked code that, although copyrighted and Microsofts property, is of no use to them, is of no use for circumventing security, and can only be used to allow a group of people to run a few servers to allow some older games to be played online again?

I know than in the UK using leaked code would come under criminal law (theft of property), having to go through the crown courts, and some well paid lawyers having to explain to a jury that although Microsoft would have to dig through the archives to find their own copies, they have no use for it any more and it cannot be used in any way to cause a network security issue, we are all deserving of being sued into bankruptcy.

So long as no money is made directly using leaked source code, and especially if it is re-written to use different protocols and security keys, I can't see any major problems, not in the UK anyway.

We could even host it on a cluster of xbox's, and it could be optimized to make the most out of the available hardware.

19. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I doubt they would care. There would be no profit being made from it, and secondly it's not officially supported any more.

Lukew likes this.
  20. Lukew

Lukew Rapidly Rising Member

It's been abandoned for over 5 years, I would assume that the network has been changed since the original service was opened up, making any leaks relating to the first incarnation completely useless for compromising the current network.