Open Source Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by AlexRMC92, Feb 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Did you ever get a response to that? If not, I just saw the Xbox kernel sources posted on another forum, and at first glance they look legit, so if you want me to hook you up let me know.

edit: Still poking around... I was looking for any startup code to make sure it's actually the kernel and not just libs, so I nuked everything irrelevant and have pretty much nothing but assembly left. Some funny stuff in there. Some of their test cases (?) are DOS-based. Anyone wanna run native DOS apps on their Xbox? Apparently you can, kernel support is (was?) in there...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Thanks rso, but I did get a PM about it and later started about it the new Prototopia project.

Its alott of awesomeness, including indeed some dos test things, and Nvidia drivers, and random kernel awesome stuff.
    But it is not the complete source, we dont have any dashboard stuff, but maybe the kernel is enough so far, making xbox live work will properbly require a modified xbox anyway because of the encrypted communication channel. So it might be the tip for xlive, dunno, saw some network stuff and yet have to get some time to research (maybe at a CTF night at the hackerspace)

3. shadow.wizzard

shadow.wizzard Newly Registered

idk if someone here already post this but theres releak xboxkrnl source code here. some code still missing and modified by leaker, but i think if we work together we can make it run on pc hardware natively (other than franken alpha hardware). my goal is to make arcade/multimedia pc base on franken alpha.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. CodeAsm

Ok thx, did not knew that beta got it aswell and see some original 4400 code is uploaded with seem to confirm that it is the japanese like leak. (i got symbols from the sdk) maybe somewhere there are complete dash sources aswell, not in these files. We maybe can tweak and add specific drivers to support more hardware, but if we cannot easily change drivers, one have to compile your own kernel to hardware. (take a nv20 nvidea videocard and its maybe easier. Chipset is another one) anyway, i might give it a spin after some kicad or eagle.

5. Emperor Bohe

Emperor Bohe Member

how have things been going on this front? any cool finds?

6. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

I think there have been minor improvements to some qemu-based Xbox emulator that I had never heard of before, but apart from that, nothing much seems to have happened. Not much interest in Xbox these days, it seems.

JayFoxRox likes this.
  7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I guess we are stuck with VPN solutions like Xlink..
    I've thought about having a VPN with support for a few systems and share it with assembler members :) Xlink seems to be unreliable (can never connect properly :/ )

8. Tommo92

Tommo92 Active Member

http://xqemu.com/ This has not been updated for over a year

9. JayFoxRox

JayFoxRox Spirited Member

xqemu is only a xbox/chihiro emulator though. There is no XBL emulation. I feel this topic is going offtopic?

There has been https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/Fahrplan/events/5956.html this talk at 31c3 (Which was a shameless 1:1 copy of the same talk at least brucon and toorcon).
    I dislike the way they handle their talk and how they approach the entire thing. But if you are completly lost and a total beginner it might help you.
    Just make sure to watch it critically because the speakers don't seem to be too familar with common approachs of RE (which is scary considering they seem to have some sort of security background).

10. CodeAsm

Still looking for FULL source code trees and newer/older, other parts of the xbox source tree.
    Here is the Kernelpart as rereleased before but lost:
    http://archive.codeasm.com/ results in https://mega.co.nz/#F!c8gSQDCA!qXcuokdc9fv84eHRumLovQ (ill try to keep it online for ever)

Also I hope someone could use it, or other information I gathered to recreate some kind of Xbox live. (I do whatever my research and skills allows me to)

11. pedrobr

pedrobr Newly Registered

any news?

12. CodeAsm

Not on my side :p

13. pedrobr

pedrobr Newly Registered

Okay, but no progress?
    I do not quite understand that, however, not had to do a reverse engineering to figure out how the servers work?

I'm sorry for bad English

14. CodeAsm

No big update, just my brain "farts":
    There are some obvious places where in the source has been edited, also mods has been made to make it run like a later kernel (as in, symbols has been used to make 4400 run and act like 5xxx but modded to run unsigned code)

Its obvious that for legal reasons, either I/we cant share info on this, or we can... but because its hard to know im thinking about investigating the workings, and others who "aren't" reading the source, can try making a server.

either we do it good or sketchy, like all mod-chip makers seem to have done.

[EDIT] There is client side code, and recent sdk has "server" side code (as in, game server, not login stuff) so maybe a kernel which checks Nulled(EDIT: As in, accept a non-ms auth server to send tickets) can connect to a self build "title-server"? its a project I would like to test but mcpx stuff is earlier on my list (as in sound card as well) so either get sdk 5849 with the recovery stuff and symbols, i believe that one has the "title server" code. maybe a NKpatcher can trick a game to auth to your server with a static ticket?(EDIT: im kinda new to kerberos anyway) maybe we need to patch confounder, mac and/or keys. we do have virtual C drives and eeproms and that part is still new to me.

(Forgive me not understanding everything or that one part you do know. We dont have xbox live anymore, so please better share your info, correct my assumptions or fill in the blanks. Also English is not my native language, try dutch sometime.) and this post is just a brainfart

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  15. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

From what I know about the leaked source, there should be a relatively stock branch, along with modifications that were made.

It is certainly possible to emulate some of Xbox Live's functionality. A prototype that I have yet to feature has the ability to simulate some features by connecting to a local server that the developers setup, which I of course dont have. It's possible that it is just a hacked together multiplayer thing that uses no code in common with XBL, but I find that unlikely.

SILENT_Pavel and CodeAsm like this.
  16. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Robust Member

Keep up the work guys... really intrested in this project... If it gets into beta ill gladly give it a try.

17. Godzilla_Guy45

Godzilla_Guy45 Newly Registered

Hey guys, I wanted to let you guys know there is a way to get your hands on a XDK kit but you have to use the XBOX as it. However it does provide programs for a PC to help write XDK code. Along with a couple other programs modify codes and data within the system. If you go to ISOZONE and go to Xbox Downloads there's a bunch of tutorials for the XDK and for how to install the kit to a Xbox. Reason why nobody has tried to modify Live or rather make a NEW one is due to there aren't many strong programmers over there to take the task. By the way, I truly appreciate your hard work guys! As some of the other people said, I will gladly beta test this new program once you have it rounded out. :) Good luck.

18. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Wait, you guys are trying to get Xbox LIVE 1.0 back up and running? Awesome work guys!!

If it is possible to do, can I make a request for the "New" XBL 1.0? There was free DLC for multiple games including Halo 2 towards the end of XBL 1.0. Would it be possible for you guys to make those DLCs downloadable again or would there be legal issues?

19. CodeAsm

I'm sure all these requests are getting noted somewhere.(insert sarcasm)
    and for those who think it needs "great master programmers" ... There are no Old magicians and young virgin boys at Microsoft making these backwards compatible software updates. just your regular good educated programmers that program for a living.

20. DarrenRainey

DarrenRainey Member

Hey I think we should start this project on a dedicated site im making a site for xbox homebrew and research soon so maybe some of you guys/girls can come over and help with the research and development. I've got an second hand xbox a while ago im going to dump the entire hardrive and have a look around and see whats their.

well there probably would be some legal issue's but Microsoft has abandoned this console and were not making any money out of this project so it should be ok if we can get the actual dlc files.

looks like development has restarted on github https://github.com/espes/xqemu the last update was just 6 hours ago from when this message was sent

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015