Open Source Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by AlexRMC92, Feb 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Xbox Loyalists

Xbox Loyalists Active Member

wasn't lukew still working on the relive

2. IntelMiner

IntelMiner Member

What does any of this have to do with the current thread topic?

3. obcd

obcd Rising Member

To bad they didn't brought back live on the xbone as it might have helped in understanding the authentication flow chain.
    As no servers exist anymore, you can't do packet sniffing to figure out how communication works. You can only try to "reverse engineer" the xbox part of things.
    The live thing is a static library with functions, linked to the xbe. It's described how to use those functions in the xdk documentation, but it's not described how those functions work and what they expect from the network server. We do have the revolt game and it's source code that was used to promote xbox live, so there is at least one example about how the library functions should be used and can result in online gaming. I believe grimdoomer not only managed to ping a server from within the debug dash, but also got the kerberos authentication working. Grim passed his code to kiwi who passed it to an unknow group that works below the radar. Whenever they work on it and if they are making progress is all speculation at the moment.

4. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

https://www.polygon.com/2013/4/4/41...es-source-code-for-jedi-knight-2-jedi-outcast
    The source isnt there anymore but can still be found on github for example. alto XDK code seems to be removed. Ive also heard that Halo2 server code has been leaked aswell. even without these, Grim told us that his work can be done, if you dig in the kernel yourself and figure out the keys used for the authentication. his trouble was mainly with keeping the session alive (QoS packets?) but maybe he solved that aswell. The biggest thing still was titleservers. with what I found and got, yeah, setting up a live server is probably doable, but getting games to work... another. I always asume a modded xbox helps alott more.

5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

Yeah when they first uploaded the source code for Jedi Knight, it had certain code that they probably shouldnt have uploaded. So they pulled it and reuploaded it elsewhere. I might have the original upload, I cant remember.

CodeAsm likes this.
  6. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

as far as bringing games back, phantasy star onlinr server source is easily obtainable. most variations of the game have homebrew servers, so it'd be minimal effort to get that one game working compared to most

7. Robert1997

Robert1997 Newly Registered

Hey guys signed up just to comment on this thread.

8. Robert1997

Robert1997 Newly Registered

Is there a discord server to stay tune for the Xbox Live revival project

Edit: nvm found it

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  9. Xbox Loyalists

Xbox Loyalists Active Member

where do i look for the specifics of the kernel code inside a xdk or deep within a regular xbox hdd

10. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Depending on how legal you wanna try this. reverseengineering is what you could do. I believe Grim said he dint use sourcecode, so he must have monitored the network port, and written programs with a XDK to use kernel calls to authenticate. He probably explorer memory locations aswel, used kernel debugging in some way aswell I gues. there are tools availeble to view an xbox memory and manipulate it. He eventualy got the keys to use in his own written kerberos server. I dont fully understand it all but I know that I need to learn some debuggig/reverseengineering skills on the xbox to know my xboxes key, and write a server program for it.

I actualy dont know if Grim used a XDK version or opensource tools.

TerdFerguson and Xbox Loyalists like this.