Open Source Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by AlexRMC92, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

1501830722219s.jpg
    wat up dog we was just lookin for u

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. Xbox Loyalists

Xbox Loyalists Active Member

who's working on this project now

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Intrepid Member

Yes that is the legit Kiwidog. He and I are good friends and that is his alias here with an "e" on the end.

4. Xbox Loyalists

who did he hand over the project to

5. Frostygraybob

Frostygraybob Member

I stand corrected

6. Anthony817

I will let him discuss that. It is kind of complicated.

7. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

I hope we know more by December 2017... maybe januari 2018. after that, I might consider calling that source lost or project dead. But grimdoomer shared enough information (and hes not gone for good) to do some research "ourselves"...

TerdFerguson likes this.
  8. AlexRMC92

AlexRMC92 Site Supporter 2013

Oh wow, been a while. Sorry, life happened and took me away from here. Been skimming through the thread and going back through my code and notes from before. Going to start on this again.

Kao, acabey, TerdFerguson and 2 others like this.
  9. Xbox Loyalists

not trying to sound like a idiot but what source grim/kiwi or someone else

10. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Grimdoomer aka TheFallen has made some progress a couple of months ago. he seemed to have succesfull machine login and send/recieved QoS packets. was starting to write an API so titleservers could be made. But he got a "awesome" job at a company that you may gues who, thats preventing him under an NDA to continue. So he gave it to Kiwi. I dunno if Kiwi wants to share more or details, he can ofcourse and I dont know what kiwi knows ;) but he is supposed to have gotten grims code and probably was taskes or asked to continue (wich was about to start only this fall or something.)
    This is the story in short, and probably not entirely correct.
    All other things can be found in this thread or documents/files that where shared are in the discord... dont think much worth yet. PoC video is also somewhere. Grim did release his Exploit, that he found.

DinohScene, acabey and TerdFerguson like this.
  11. Anthony817

What I was told in layman's terms was Kiwi had completely stopped working on it and another group of people had taken the project on. I was only told they never speak much with him anymore, and Kiwi had only dabbled in the idea of taking it on for a few months. After real life school and other projects started consuming more of his free time he basically abandoned the idea of working on it further. This was explained to me about a month or so ago, so that is the most recent info I have to share.

The other group of people are still working on it from what I was told, albeit they don't share a lot of progress in the public eye.

Remember, Kiwi works on the Battlefield 3 mod Venice Unleashed, and the Frostbite engine tools called Rime. That in and of itself is a huge undertaking making modding tools from scratch for a super complex gaming engine the developers themselves said was too complicated to make modding tools for as they claimed the general public wouldn't be smart enough to use them.

He also was working on the Halo Online/Anvil project that was going on for the past 2 or so years. He had put a lot of energy into that as well but he had to stop working on it due to many other reasons plus those stated above.

I fully hope however this project gets off of the ground. A homebrew live would be very beneficial to the community. As many can tell the OG Xbox community is actually thriving as people still buy thousands of them every year to mod and hack. Thousands are sold online on all the Xbox communities, not to mention online market places like eBay, and Amazon, as well as brick and mortar stores. It goes to show that there are people who would really embrace a project like this.

12. AlexRMC92

I also have my own code from way back when, granted it's not nearly as complete from the sounds of things. It would be a lot nicer if whoever has the code would work more in the public eye, or at least be slightly more open. If they want to stay behind the scenes there are people who would publicly release it and keep those who are hidden out of the public eye. The fact that it stays locked behind doors make me feel like there's either little to no work happening or it's pushing legal boundaries as a project. Until i see something more concrete i'm just going to keep working on my own implementation.

13. Xbox Loyalists

at least someone is actively working on the project, what is your progress anyways

14. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

(i hope this post doesn't start a new page)
    this is just my opinion, and i said this before, but i think the main goal should just be getting the in-game xbox live sign-in function to work with a NULL gamertag so other people can begin working on the servers for the actual games. i'd imagine the system link games are mostly peer-to-peer, and i presume packet capturing the lobbies for system link games would make server (reverse)engineering fairly simple for the experienced person in this kinda thing. i also presume both XBL-Core project and hypothetical XBL-Games projects would mutually benefit this way, as errors in the architecture of the core xbox live server could be caught early on because a game wouldn't know what the hell is going on. rather than doing the whole core service, only to find out months later that some architecture error prevents any progress on games and attention would have to be diverted to rewriting the error in the xbl core

15. AlexRMC92

Not much, just got back into the swing of things. AFAIK, there is no source avaiable for what has previously been done.

Original XBL is stupid simple from what i know so far, the client authenticates a gets a session key, that session key can be used to authenticate to a game server. Game servers are going to vary widely in implementation, but the majority of them likely only facilitate grouping the various clients together and picking one of them to host the game. All the game logic is handled by the client and shared between other clients via a protocol similar to IPSec

TerdFerguson likes this.
  16. Xbox Loyalists

aren't most people who were developing this project on the title servers stage

17. AlexRMC92

The only sign of progress being made is a half working auth demo earlier in this thread, which has been handed off to someone else multiple times. I can't find anyone who has this code and is still working on it.

TerdFerguson likes this.
  18. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

so in other words, a 'spoof'\NULL sign-in server so others can begin game server development isn't too far off? How far does your code go?

keep in mind that the server core for Phantasy Star Online has been mostly reversed for all clients. from what i understand, the xbox and gamecube ports\clients are mostly identical, except the xbox client obviously has xbox live thrown into the equation. it'd be a good idea for you guys to toss that idea around if you get passed game client authentication as i mentioned, i think pso will be the first game restored for that reason. everything is mostly already done for the game client

if you mean individual game title servers then those are(or should be) two completely different beasts

19. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

I just want to spoof the sign in to try out a prototype of Emergency Mayhem

CodeAsm and TerdFerguson like this.
  20. Xbox Loyalists

how do you spoof a sign in