Open Source Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by AlexRMC92, Feb 19, 2013.

1. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Let's try and keep this on topic and refrain from double posting (if yours is the last post and a week hasn't elapsed, edit it). Thanks!

2. stuntpenguin

stuntpenguin Spirited Member

If you're referring to the discord I set up, then probably not. This was just created.

Anyone feel free to join this server. No real progress yet. I've been AFK and might be for the next week or so. Would still like to get a focused discussion on this topic going. Been toying around with the idea of patching kerberos in order to deal with other things for the time being.

Invite: https://discord.gg/VCcmkMA

Don't be surprised if the chat is empty... In the process of getting a group together.

TerdFerguson likes this.
  3. Xbox Loyalists

Xbox Loyalists Active Member

you and codeasm are the only ones still developing this right?

4. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

im really glad this is still being bumped. i'll donate a shitload of moneys if\when this is finished, i'll be very patient

even though i never got to use it. i kinda like how each game contained the xbox live service within itself, rather than having a background dashboard

i really hope one day unreal championship 2 and other ogxbl games are restored

invite is ded. hoping you supply another soon

5. Frostygraybob

Frostygraybob Active Member

can you refresh the discord link?

6. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

There seem to be two Discord Servers on the Open Source Xbox Live project. One where the original developer, TheFallen93, and his replacement, kiwidog, are now longer on -- Homebrew Xbox. And, a second Discord server that @stuntpenguin setup.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. Frostygraybob

been a member of the first one for a long time

CodeAsm likes this.
  8. Xbox Loyalists

is fallen and grim the same person

9. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

yes, if im not mistaken and looking back at the replies.

10. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

if the project isn't open sourced, or at least a binary distributed, then i can't see this project going anywhere. contributions to the main repo can be walled off from outsiders, but the opportunity to fork the code so others can research and document is a must for a large project like this

there's too many aspects of this project for just a few people, you'd need an army of contributors to document network protocols for the s**tload of games, with a wiki to organize all of the documentation

(in my opinion, don't flame me too hard) **priority #1** SHOULD be getting a working server that allows a NULL gamertag login on retail hardware that works on a wide array of games, so other people can begin researching and documenting lobbies\hosting matches\joining matches etc,etc. and perhaps even engineering servers for games while the main xbox live infrastructure is being developed. which might mutually benefit the two parties doing XBL main and XBL games

i'm not trying to sound negative, or sound like an asswipe, but its always disappointing and frustrating when people following a community project see the developers ghost the project and can't continue it themselves

Frostygraybob, CodeAsm and Borman like this.
  11. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

That sounds about right ;)

12. Frostygraybob

The project did have a future up until kiwidog up and left us without so much as a fucking word. Now i'm hearing he gave it to a couple randos who we havent heard from. Also, while im on the topic, while we may not have the skill to create a new live system onhand atm i COULD see us implementing an app onto the xbox one with lan functionality. Needless to say it would have to be limited to original xbox games. But its annoying to have to have a pc closehand for xlink and having it be easily accessible to others without a ton of setup may just help it's community.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Xbox Loyalists

Lan tunneling app on xbone wouldnt ms be on our ass

14. Frostygraybob

If its just limited to og xbox games its may possibly be ok. I was thinking converting xlink or somebody making something into a UWP

15. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

all im saying is, unless there's source code distributed, or a test binary distributed, this project should be considered dead and everyone should learn a lesson from it

someone should try to obtain one of those encryption keys, if i remember correctly that was the big setback but was figured out, then redo the project making a server that can sign in a NULL gamertag(nothing else has to work, just it will sign-in on a game(s)) so people can start working on servers for the actual games. then you can take all the time in the world to reverse engineer everything else for xbox live, at least games can begin to be restored(which is the point right?)

Xbox Loyalists and Frostygraybob like this.
  16. Frostygraybob

I agree with you. It is dead.

17. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

if this is true, then other parties that can attempt to continue development MUST obtain this source code ( http://icode4.coffee/photos/xbl_poc.mp4 ).

then the main goal as i said twice, should be allowing sign-in of a NULL gamertag(not worrying about console data) so people can start working on games. because i'd imagine once the xbox live login was accepted, the game would begin contacting its own game server and would fail anyway. if you wanted to work on an xbox server without that, you'd have to patch out the xbox live sign in which is time consuming to identify the memory addresses to remove from the binary or in RAM with a cheat disc(since there's no xbox emulators to browse the memory of)

i'm not ignorant to the fact of how long reversing the entire xbox live service will take. i was expecting 2019, but all the work done this far can't go to waste. and if there was this NULL gamertag test server, games can be restored, or at least started, before the entire xbox live infrastructure(which is what it is, i know its not just one server) is restored

edit: for example, phantasy star online has already been reversed for gamecube and dreamcast. so if the NULL login server was completed, we would most likely see phantasy star online as the first original xbox game to be restored since most of the core server source code is widely available on the internet for all clients and platforms

18. Frostygraybob

If you can somehow contact kiwidog and ask him for it or whoever he gave it to be my guest. I would love for grims work to not go to waste. Couldn't tell you where to find him tho since he left the discord

19. KIWIDOGGIE

KIWIDOGGIE Peppy Member

hi

20. Xbox Loyalists

are you actually kiwidog