Open Source Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by AlexRMC92, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TheFallen93

TheFallen93 Spirited Member

Sure the xonline libraries handle sending and receiving data to the title server, which is what my SDK will do only without any Microsoft code. However, all of the work of implementing a title server then shifts to reverse engineering the data the game sends back and forth. So when it comes down to it, creating the title server is mostly going to be reverse engineering the game's online protocol.

Xbox Loyalists and CodeAsm like this.
  2. Lukew

Lukew Rapidly Rising Member

The kernel source has been out there for much longer, and has the source for the online libs with it. The XDK provides some tools for development and testing of title servers. It's the Live authentication that needs working out, and although it was supposedly leaked, my attempts to find it have been fruitless.

That's what I meant. To create a title server, the XDK provides the libs and tools needed, the reverse engineering is just the game's own data and protocol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
    Xbox Loyalists likes this.
  3. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Cant find titleserver stuff. some people claim Halo2 would be easy because of leaked source or translating PC server side for xbox support.
    @Lukew I know what your talking bout, there are more versions suposed to circulate but I havent seen any public.

The big lack of titleserver stuff makes me believe those are not released or at least I havent seen them.
    technical people should try to understand that MS made the Xbox live part and API like stuff so Games could just have their own Server, and only the user auth can be dealth with by a ms server. There are examples of games that not realy need a dedicated titleserver and just some login of live user and who is the host of a certain gametype.

Other game studions ran their own titleservers and gave MS their configs, so alott of data was actualy stored at the gamedevs site instead of at MS.

EDIT: removed pm part

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  4. Lukew

I know that the shit bags at EA hosted title servers themselves, as whenever they released the next game in a series, they cut online support for the previous one.

I don't think any title servers would have been leaked. It would have been common knowledge years ago and no doubt people would have hosted their own game servers with a DNS redirect.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Xbox Loyalists and Anthony817 like this.
  5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

That is exactly why I am hopeful Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on Xbox can be brought back online, as unlikely as it is looking. I actually used to play the original back on 360 in 2006, had a clan and everything. I was pretty active on it. It is unique enough in the series I would still enjoy playing it in some form online again.

I am guessing getting a game like that back online is going to be little more than a pipedream, considering it ran on dedicated servers afaik. I know we could create online games, but I think they still used dedicated servers and some form of matchmaking like done with BFBC2.

Xbox Loyalists and CodeAsm like this.
  6. Lukew

Anything with dedicated servers will be more difficult to get working. Peer to peer is quite simple. Title server dishes out lobby names, IP address of the hosting console etc and then everything is done directly between consoles. I'll have a look at the SDK tools for title server testing as I'm sure it provides a generic server on the local machine to test out match making and other non game-specific functions. Been quite a while since I last used it though.

7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, that is why I have more hope for the countless p2p games like COD 3. That was a seriously fun game.

CodeAsm likes this.
  8. Vetteshit

Vetteshit Newly Registered

I specially registered for this thread on this forum.

Very good job on the people who are working on this! Would of been a dream to come true. Play cod3/ghost recon/wolfenstein on xbox live without the tunneling programs. Would be cool. Im curious if an friendlist would be able to work. Il subscribe myself to this topic so i know when it would be finished i can get into it.
    thanks again, great job u guys doing.
    greetings from holland.

9. Xbox Loyalists

Xbox Loyalists Active Member

thats cool i did too and friend list working is a good question

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  10. TheFallen93

TheFallen93 Spirited Member

I plan on implementing Matchmaking, Messaging, Voice Chat, Presence, and Statistics, but not friends list.

I kid, you get all of it.

11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Man, you almost had me there for a second... :eek:

Vetteshit and CodeAsm like this.
  12. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

This is probably the most exciting thing I've seen happen to the xbox community for a while! Really interested in seeing this project completed, would be an absolute thing of beauty to get Multiplayer working again properly. I'll be watching this thread very closely ;)

erfg12 likes this.
  13. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Hows this going in TL;DR ?

[​IMG]

CodeAsm likes this.
  14. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

LeHaM and Anthony817 like this.
  15. Xbox Loyalists

some Xbox live games used game-spy and game-spy was open sourced/emulated via open-spy so i think we should try getting those games to work because it could possibly make certain things easier assuming game-spy online games on xbox used its own master server

CodeAsm likes this.
  16. namine207

namine207 Member

Not to mention, games like Phantasy Star Online used largely the same server as they had on other platforms. Theoretically one could take a PSO PC/BB/Dreamcast/GC server and have just about everything working on the Xbox version. The only possible exception to that rules is the voice chat that was exclusive to the Xbox port of PSO, but that may likely have been handled by XBL.

17. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yup, many of the Dreamcast online games were connected via gamespy, and they had much luck in the end getting them to redirect after they went down. However, almost every Dreamcast online game used dedicated servers since they were dialup @56k, not many P2P that I know of, and the servers were either reverse engineered from scratch, or were located from old developers who sent them to petterk to bring game back online. That guy is a machine bringing games back online that were dead for over 14 or so years.

However, gamespy games might not be the hardest to bring back if they were P2P. It is just trying to get the games back online that used proprietary dedicated servers. We would have a hard time finding said files unless we contacted the right people.

18. Xadturbo

Xadturbo Member

This is the most awsome thing happen since i bought my xbox im 2003... I only want to say THANK YOU for spending your precious time doing this project... I hope you have the best luck, and thank you again... XBox reLIVE

19. JeBobs

JeBobs Nova Force General

-NEWSPOST-
    1: Important - To anybody trying to make a collaborative platform for this project, please ask either me or codeasm, because there is apparently a slack, hightail, github, wiki, and discord, and this thread. Having too many platforms means that we are all spread out and not working together, so I want to keep it to just the discord and wiki, and maybe a github when we get to code writing. The "official" wiki and discord are:
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bcumt5e
    Wiki: http://wiki.netherwiki.org/view/OSXL:Main_Page
    This is to only avoid confusion and I hope you understand where I am coming from.

2: There have been a lot of good things happening recently, and I am happy for that, because every day we get closer and closer to reaching our goal: having an open source Xbox Live platform for our favorite old games. One thing is that TheFallen93 (As mentioned above) was able to get authentication working, and was able to make that happen, but is not willing to open their source code up (which is fine, it lets us know that it is indeed possible and we should respect their work and desicion to do what they want with their code). We wish best of luck and he may be our bet for an actual server.Another one is more personal, and that is I am learning cryptography and encryption cracking programs in my cybersecurity class right now, and I feel like that would be very benificial to this. On another note, If you want to have your own little slice of this, I would recommend getting up xqemu on your machine, just so we are all on the same page (it takes a google search to get to espes' github page)

I hope you all have a good day and I hope to talk to you all later, don't forget to join the discord so we can all achieve this together.
    -JeB

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Xbox Loyalists and GoTeamScotch like this.
  20. Xbox Loyalists

what are the remaining pieces of info that are left to complete this project