open pandora handheld

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Dakar, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Dakar

Dakar Rapidly Rising Member

Hi people, anyone ever come across one of these or had the chance to own one and use it?
    I have been offered one of these and wondered if it would be worth my time

any and all information would be appreciated

Regards Dakar:encouragement:

2. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Yes it is definitely worth it as you use it like a actual portable gaming pc/laptop as a size of a 3DS XL almost ;) and able to run many emulators like Dosbox, Neko Project II, Dreamcast, Qemu, including retro emulators etc.. internet (Firefox) & such :D

3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

But isn't their distrobution abit of a clusterfuck? Like you order one now...and get it 3 years later.

4. darkado

darkado Rapidly Rising Member

it's not worth the 450 euro price tag, not by a longshot.

5. syntax error

syntax error Spirited Member

Its similar to a TI OMAP evaluation board with keyboard and stick. I have seen the Pandora at Linuxtag.

6. Semaphore

Semaphore Active Member

I got one a couple of years ago and didn't have any issues with shipping or whatnot. It can handle emulation up to at least Playstation level without much problem, though I understand it has issues with some systems. Ashens tested out a few emulators on one on Youtube awhile back, I believe.

7. DeckardBR

DeckardBR Fiery Member

Its a cool system, if you can get it for a reasonable price I'd grab it. However I think the Vita running cfw (you need to be on 2.02 firmware) is a far superior option with the OLED screen and the dual analogs that match the Pandora. It just can't play ps1 games yet like the pandora due to a limitation in the psp emulator that exists in the vita.

8. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Does PS Vita homebrew run native on the Vita, or through the PSP emulator?

9. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Currently via PSP emulator. So emulators are emulated by an emulator. :|

10. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

Might as well just get a PSP then!

11. DeckardBR

DeckardBR Fiery Member

The current cfw for vita allows the emulators to run at a higher clockspeed than the psp I believe even though its running under the psp emulator environment. Also the vita analog stick is much better then the psp analog nub. So if you go through the trouble of getting it set up its worth it. However if oled screen doesn't matter to you and ps1 emulation is very important than the pandora is the next best thing. Pandora is also good for computer emulation like the amiga since it has an actual keyboard and you dont have to use a virtual one.

12. trevormacro

trevormacro Peppy Member

Hello,

I love Pandora. This is my best hobby tools. I play games on emulators, I listen and save music on radios, I write text files, and much more.

From the left to right, Pandora's collection limited :

Numbers 214, 330, 203, 719 ( all in good condition, like new ) :

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6378/20110219002.jpg

This one is a very special pandora clocked by default @1Ghz, my last one:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/903285sticker.jpg

nb. I have installed android on my last pandora and work very nice with all emulator too :)

If you have some questions I can answer you ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  13. vectrex_rox

vectrex_rox Enthusiastic Member

i also bought a pandora like 2 months ago ...

they are available right now .. classic version goes from aprox 280 euro

https://www.dragonbox.de/

great piece !

14. Dakar

Dakar Rapidly Rising Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I feel ashamed I've never came across one before

15. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

That price is still way too steep considering the hardware is about on par with cheap Chinese Android phones...

16. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Yeah, I would love to have one but...

When they came out, they were super sweet! Has the price gone down since then, or has it stayed the same?

I'll probably get a Vita sometime in the future with the hopes that it gets opened up a little more.

17. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Got one, love it.

Expensive, but pretty powerful given you got full access to hardware (you can simply run the os without gui so the emulators got more cpu time).

I got one of the first 1ghz one, it overclocks to 1.2ghz without a itch. It plays every psx games 100%, most n64 games (goldeneye varies from 70% to 100%) and 2D NDS games 100% too. Snes/nes/gb/gba/megadrive/NameIt also works perfect except some pathological games maybe.
    It got incredible battery life (around 10 hours at 1ghz playing psx with bright screen and volume) and a lot of flexibility. It got a usb port and Wi-Fi so no need for a laptop to mess up with external HDDs and networks, heck it can even emulate an usb cd-drive for a host pc! Oh, and you can code on the damn thing, c++, pyton, bash etc.

In the end it all depends if you care enought about the portability, controls and keyboard to justify the price, but simply stating "too expensive for the cpu/ram it has" is comparing apples with oranges. In the end it's a umpc with embeded controls, completely open, with some great softwares and an outrageous battery life (and audio quality). It's just a shame they got essentially scammed by the first PCB factory they had hired, otherwise we would be talking about pandora2 right now.

You also gotta keep in mind this was made by some dudes from a gp2x community, not samsung/sony. Of course it's gonna be more expensive, but given it's now made in germany and that by buying one you support a small team of really implicated devs, I think the price is understandable. They haven't made much money yet... And I doubt they will. This would have been a perfect project for kickstarter!

FG

PS: If you wanna buy one, buy it from ithic.com or dragonbox.de, the UK guy is *hard* to deal with and got financial problems right now, so you might wait longer. The way it works when you buy one new is that you get yours asap and the profits are used to fund the remaining pre-orders that are not yet fullfilled. It sucks for old-time preorders, but it's better than to got out of buisiness. Which they could've done buy EvilDragon saved the day and made the dream come true.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

I just ordered mine yesterday from DragonBox...just went for the Rebirth edition, as I can't be bothered to emulate android on it....Looking forward to actually using it as an honest to goodness PC. Been using a DEA MyPlay with Android and emulators to get my classic gaming fix, but it's just too much of a hassle, having a pandora to be the one stop solution for playing, managing roms etc and being a fully featured PC will be pretty awesome....

Can't wait until it arrives!!!

19. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

I've been looking to trade my stuff for one of these for such a long time, I keep hearing of all the uses for one of them. Plus I'm sure it'd be a fantastic little tool for coding on.

20. sg1975

sg1975 Member

I had one when they first started releasing them ( i pre ordered one straight away, then waited AGES for it to be sent lol, that was after following the development on their forums which was interesting but very frustrating!)

I got it and I sold it within a few weeks, it just seemed like old technology to me,maybe it was the waiting that killed it for me i don't know.

The emulation was OK but to be honest i prefer using an old PSP console, also the build quality wasn't the best, it was creaky and the unit just looked cheap and tacky.

As above though, if you are a coder and have other uses for it then maybe give it a go, me i just wanted it for pure emulation purposes lol.

Its defiantly not worth the amount they are charging for it now IMO, well as an emulation machine i don't think it is.

EDIT

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013