Site Feedback One year later.

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by takeshi385, May 19, 2019.

1. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

If I am not mistaken we are about to hit or have already hit the anniversary of assembler becoming staff-less. Eventually the sun will set on this site.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Slightly more than one year I think, but yeah. I'm doubtful that it'll last another year at this rate.

FromAllAspects likes this.
  3. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

It isn't viable to be staff-less, especially since it's been technically abandoned. If only someone could take the reigns and bring it back to life again (especially at this rate, since most people are leaving the site for good), but I definitely agree with la-li-lu-le-lo, it may not last for another year. I did read somewhere quite a while ago (I can't remember what it's called, but it was definitely on here) that most of the programs (eg: XenForo) that keep this site online are out of date and no longer supported or patched for securities purposes, so not good in my books...

EDIT: Also, weren't there more features on this site around 2 years ago? I'm certain there was a live chat system that was active and then discontinued with no explanation.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Yeah, there used to be a chatbox. I think the reason it was removed was because people were spamming it with weird, non-gaming related stuff. I think XenForo doesn't have built-in support for chat anyway, so once that transition was made Kevin never bothered to try to reimplement it. Actually, of all the decisions he made, I think this wasn't a bad one - since, like I said, it often would devolve into topics that have nothing to do with gaming. The other problem was that it's harder to moderate a chatbox since, unlike normal forum posts, just deleting individual posts isn't really a viable option. So the only way to deal with people who were abusing it was just to ban them, either temporarily or permanently. I think ultimately, ditching it was a good decision.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The forum has been getting security updates.

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

And yet we still dont know who is doing it

good likes this.
  7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

There was never an admin team or company previously. Only Kevin.

Who do you think is doing it?

8. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Dont you believe in fairies? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    But yes its pretty clear hes still here, but only for that specific thing and the bill to run the site. Unless for whatever reason that really did change and we have an unknown owner, but it's unlikely.
    If anything my guess is he's waiting for an actual offer from someone willing to buy the site.

rey1178 and good like this.
  9. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I'd like the Media tab to come back for all the images, collections.

10. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

I think he's waiting for an apology

11. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

[​IMG]

stevo9389 and pool7 like this.
  12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

My guess is, hes leaving it long enough that by the time he comes back we will all praise he's back - as the only alternative is doom.

pool7 likes this.
  13. Nemesis

Nemesis Peppy Member

That's probably overthinking it. More likely being visible here and participating makes him sad, but taking the site offline completely would make him sadder, so he's leaving it to limp along until he can face dealing with it, one way or the other.

14. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

You guys just won't give up.

If it pains you so much, set up another site and do it better.

Oh, hold on.... we've been there before. Incredibly, as a silent admin Assembler still managed to outlast the competition and he didn't even have to do anything.

I can only assume you want some sort of megalomaniac in charge who will start 1000 posts a day and tell you what they ate for breakfast/lunch/dinner...

The site works, people post every day and there are various discussions going on - compared to every other retro-gaming site I visit, this site is very much alive (I'm not the only person to point this out)

Just a quick question - in 51 weeks from now will you post another thread entitled "two years later" and then tell us (again) that the site is dead? I mean, will this go up to 100 years? This thread is identical to the 'site status' thread in every detail - you didn't need to start a new discussion... unless of course you have an imaginary axe to grind? In which case, link us all to the best retro gaming discussion forum on the web. You know, the one that isn't this one... which is?

Umm.... ?

Yeah.

Please?

Sit back, enjoy the site and be grateful for what IS here.

Denryu likes this.
  15. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Why do you feel the need to defend someone who won't even defend himself? If Kevin is offended by anything we've said, all he has to do is say so himself. Why do you feel the need to do that for him? The fact that Kevin won't defend himself is proof that he has no defense. He has no excuse for his bullshit, and he's given up doing anything for this site beyond paying the bill and doing occasional security patches. And do you really believe a forum can survive without any new members being able to join?

Telling us to go somewhere else is also ridiculous. Many of us have been here for a long time. We're allowed to criticize the site, just as you're allowed to disagree. We can want to stay here and also want the site to improve; they're not mutually exclusive. And again, if Kevin has any problem with this, all he has to do is say so.

Yes, sit back and enjoy the slow decay. Ahhhh... refreshing.

pool7 likes this.
  16. arnoldlayne

You can't force someone to do something just because you say so.

The only thing I know about Assembler is that he has run this forum from day one and his possible real name is 'Kevin'. I'm not defending him - I know virtually nothing about him.

I'm just tired of your (once every two months) rants that the site is dead, etc, etc. when I see a forum that's more active than any other retro gaming forum I visit. Well, certainly more diverse in the range of discussion.

My point is that I disagree that the site is dead. If nobody posted, or it was reduced to just 1/2 posts every week then 'yes' - dead would be the right term. But the stats disprove it. After the failed mutiny I've noticed 'slightly less' posts than before which is attributable to the fact that social media has swallowed up many forum users (across all forums, not just gaming)

As I said, if it pains you so much then leave but please stop trying to flog a dead horse.

I will add one final thing I wanted to say before - it's a testament to free speech that he hasn't banned you - and does say a lot about his character. Imagine the roles were reversed and Assembler was repeatedly posting "this site is dying, etc..." would you have just let him keep posting away? No, don't answer that one... I know the answer already.

Yes, that could be construed as 'defending him'.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  17. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

The only reasons why people still post around here are:
    -other sites failed to replace AG
    -the site is still up

That doesn't mean the site isn't almost dead (it currently feels like a terminal patient), or that the community remains intact. Many members left and/or moved to lurking mode. Additionally no new members are allowed and some features have been disabled.
    Sure, people still post, but how long will that last? I'm pretty sure the numbers are far less than they used to be.

Also, "failed mutiny"? Do you see any mods around or an active admin? Yeah, I wouldn't call it "failed".

18. arnoldlayne

The intention of the mutiny was to take the site away from Assembler - it didn't take a genius to figure that much out.

Yeah, it failed as far as I can tell.

Just a quick reminder:

"You can't force people to do things just because you say so" I think you missed it the first time.

I refuse to post in these kinds of discussions again - although I'll make an exception and post again next year when you start another thread repeating the same old thing. Just for fun.

19. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Enough bickering
    1556036771140.gif

good likes this.
  20. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

He would need to be here to ban people.

The point of voicing our concerns was to make things better. The site needs to allow new members to thrive, it currently doesn't. I've had dozens of people reach out over the past two years asking why they cant sign up, people who have a ton to add, but all I can do is shrug. "Taking the site away" was the last option, one of many, that were presented as a choice. We wanted him to be here first and foremost. Another choice was having someone have the privileges to make changes. To admin the board. And a whole host of other options. Buying him out was one choice out of many.

We had zero ability to do the things that could have grown the site. Things that Assembler himself proposed before disappearing, be it a "museum" feature that has been promised for the better part of a decade and a half, chatboxes, image galleries, shirts, the list goes on. All stuff that we were willing to work on, but it had to be something we could control. Sure, the Wiki failed for many reasons, but one was we were limited in our ability to actually support it.