Omega MVS system purchase?

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by Ashevent, Oct 1, 2015.

1. kyosuke75

kyosuke75 Newly Registered

Nice, I have an omega too as my buddy makes these and is the owner of Arcadeworks. He really takes the time and dedication to build the omegas even at the expense of him not being able to hang out with me or other folks as he is constantly building Omegas whenever he can. I have a 161-in-1 cart and didn't have a problem on the omega but the 120-in-1 carts has twinkle star sprites and the 161-in-1 cart does not.

2. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

Got some insight from my local contact as to what goes into these things (I know a few people who know the owner of Arcadeworks)

He buys up loads of MV1C Neo Geo MVS boards, working, or with issues and then consolizes them into the Omega. Anything that's wrong with the board is repaired then consolized. My contact has a Omega but it has some issues still. It's going to get repaired by the owner of AW soon though. I can back up the fact that he puts a lot of time into AW and the Omega consolized MVS. Still, the website and customer service need work.

Hopefully I'll have the chance to use one of these soon. Going to compare it with the supergun MVS setup I'm getting.

3. Ashevent

Ashevent Site Supporter 2015

I will say: I play mine every day and havn't had any problems. Again..the Scart cable is an absolute must! a huge difference over the s-video cables. At least on my TV it was. I play a different game each day on the 120-1 cart and working my way thought winning with each character in all 5 Samurai Spirits MVS carts I own. (and the occasional game of "Mark of the wolves") again..No problems whatsoever so far.

I know some guys don't like the fact that the dip switches are inaccessable. So I do agree that having a small hatch to be able to access them would be nice for the "Purists" who want to change difficulty when playing in MVS Arcade mode. I'm fine since using the unibios to play in AES mode not only allows you to change difficulty but some of the games in AES mode have extra characters, bosses, music, cut scenes or endings..I.E. Mark of the Wolves (which seriously SNK Playmore..please let that or Samurai Shodown be the next game to get a "next gen" update). So my experience has been very, very positve so far with the exception of the delays in recieving mine to begin with....turned out to be worth the wait.

4. moggsie

moggsie Site Supporter 2014

Sorry to hijack someone else's thread but is there any other way of contacting the owner of AW other than Facebook? I don't have and won't have a FB account. I've tried e-mailing but that obviously still doesn't work.

5. Pushky

Pushky Rapidly Rising Member

neo geo forums

6. Ashevent

Anyone ever have any trouble playing Samurai Showdown V with an Omega? Mine will simply boot to a white screen then fades to black before the neo geo logo goes on. It's a japanese cart so I changed the region to japan Arcade and then I got a black screen with white lines on bottom. Most other regions I got black green alone except Euro arcade where it was red and black lines over the entire screen.

I checked the Cart and it's a genuine board, clean pins, everything connected properly and boards facing correctly with chips forward.

7. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Sorry about the late reply (Didn't see this post), but I have an Omega and it works fine with SSV. I assume you must have a bad cartridge or something. Mine is a Japanese version as well I think, though it shouldn't make a difference really.

Ashevent likes this.
  8. Ashevent

Thanks, Ive painstakingly gone over the entire board & can’t find anything glaringly wrong. Sadly I don’t think there’s such a thing as MVS board repair service so looks like I’ll have to try to find a replacement. Thanks again

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Maybe you have a bad ROM chip. Maybe the Program ROMs are EPROMs and can be reprogrammed. In theory a NeoGeo game should run even if the GFX are messed up and I think even the sound doesn't matter. As long as the Program ROM data is there it ought to run.

Ashevent likes this.
  10. Ashevent

Well sadly no matter what I try it’s the same strange lines. No sound either. Again, I did check the boards to make sure they weren’t bootlegs and it did work at one time but no idea what happened. Thanks for the insight

11. MottZilla

Well don't throw the cartridge away. It's still worth seeing if the Program ROMs are bad. And even if there is a problem there are still probably good parts like the MaskROMs.

Ashevent likes this.
  12. Ashevent

Oh I’d never throw it away! Going to take it to shop that does video game console repair I know and see what they think.

13. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

I agree. At the very least you can have the bad chip(s) replaced. No need to throw out the whole board-set.

14. Ashevent

Oh I’ll never throw it away, I’ll always hope to repair it or use it somehow..lol. Again, I plan on taking it to a repair shop across town and see if they have a clue on how to check for what’s wrong on it.

15. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

My Omega should be here soon. I ordered it since I sold my MVS cabinet. @Ashevent all carts will work since it’s original hardware just in a fancy shell.

16. MottZilla

Let us know when you do and how it works out. I'm still thinking about getting one sometime.

17. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

I’ve heard nothing but positives, Quran has been a part of the Neo scene for years and personally modded a friend of mines consoles. I’ll do a full review but will be very surprised if I find any faults