Old consoles on LCD screens?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by StriderSubzero, Feb 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. StriderSubzero

StriderSubzero Active Member

I was thinking about how the PSOne had that portable LCD screen attachment, and I recall it looking quite good (though it's been awhile).

I have a CRT setup for my old consoles as I always have, but I was thinking how it would look and whether there would be lag to go into a portable DVD player or something from that era with an LCD screen via composite. Would there be lag? Would it look okay given the resolution from an NES, N64 etc. would be the same as the PS1 (240p)?

2. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Why? You'd get superior picture from like a 9" CRT. LCD screens from that era are not very good. Low contrast, low resolution, low peak brightness, low response time, bad viewing angles.. You may remember the PS1 screen looking good because it wasn't as bad as the other LCD's on the market, but I'm sure it's not as good as you're remembering it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  3. StriderSubzero

StriderSubzero Active Member

I know this probably sounds weird but truthfully my main reason is I'm trying to find a way to play old consoles in bed, because a little time before bed is about my only available time to play games, and it would be a lot easier to have something small I could just sit in my lap or something, and plug the console up beside the bed or wherever.

I looked into using the Retrotink 2X because I have an HDTV mounted in there as well, but I was hoping to get a cheaper option and one that wouldn't disturb my SO with a lot of light into the room. I guess my other option is using a PSP or other and just use an emulator, but that seems so lame.

4. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Dude, find some of those Sony home theatre glasses they used to sell. Those would be perfect!
    But I see what you mean now, kinda hard to put a little CRT on your lap (although I would give you mad points for doing so)