Ohcouchi Gengorou Ikka UNRELEASED for N64 - Community Dump

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by LeGIt, Jan 30, 2005.

1. arsenal

arsenal Guest

I think Legit did not say it and not someone else but only you. That's what you say where it turns odd before going way off (topic if you will). Are you sure your two cents are Lincolns, hmm? Maybe wheat pennies you have...

But it's not like a Propeller Arena... Is it? And at great length...

Apples & oranges. GDR, original or not, it isn't generic N64...stuff

In sence that once dumped people are NOT...able to...burn copies :-(

So my question how is Ohcouchi Gengorou Ikka (on official N64 flash developer's test media, there simply isn't any generic flash media for n64 I know of) "...worth nothing, like Propellar Arena GD-R (arguably so), because its free available and everyone could burn a copy of it to one of the many empty GDRs flying around ...

Oh wait let me get my generic flash media to play on my n64 console and I'll burn a copy. Oh wait there's no such thing for my N64 console as generic media to be able play what rom I have here here! How how how is it acceptable to say. I ridicule you sir. :smt071 :smt045 Yes I do :smt009

Anyway no nead to one-up me because I won't argue that. If it's worthless then it must be only because you say so hardy-har-har. :-D

2. XerdoPwerko

XerdoPwerko Galaxy Angel Fanatic Extreme - Mediocre collector.

First of all, what Legit is doing is pretty cool. :smt023

Second. I think he knows his investment is pretty much secure, no matter how many times the contents is dumped, because he owns the pre-original proto. Therefore, he owns something that cannot be duplicated.

Third. Why did Propeller Arena in GDR lose its value? The proto cannot be reproduced, even if the data inside it can. Sure, it can be burnt to GDR. That's still different from the original media, is it not?

3. Flyinghigh

Flyinghigh Peppy Member

thats true! only a few people have the possibility to burn a N64 Rom to a official Nintendo 64 Flashboard. So i belive it is no problem to dump N64 protos since you can not make a 100% copy of it.

4. Fatalist

Fatalist Robust Member

We don't know if that buyer from Kuwait knows about the rip of the game.

5. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Thread is going pretty OT here. If peeps want to debate whether or not a proto goes down in value or not after a rip, then please make a new topic.

Back on topic though, after PayPal fees only got about $35 in donations! Come on guys, cough up ;-)

6. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

N64 cartridges are very different than the old 16bit, it's not just a piece of cake to make new ones, I have absolutely no clue what kind of ROMs they use. They're definately non-JEDEC and with so few pins, they very well could be set up like NAND memory or something, 8bit data bus, serial addressing. Try finding a N64 cartridge pinout, I sure can't. This is definately beyond petty prototype fakers. I don't think people with talent are going to spend hours or even days examining cartridges
    just to crank out a couple obscure Japanese "prototypes" which are obviously fakes because N64 prototypes strictly come on flash carts (and more often digitally.) Also why can't we just keep the game to people we know? Why does it have to be released all over the net? Too bad we don't have a N64 programmer to make us an unremoveable intro hehe.

7. LeGIt

In a short time keeping to the forum will eventually lead to all over the net anyway, but I guess atleast peeps who actually chipped in get to have some time with it before all the freeloaders start whoring it out and making NFO's claiming they dumped it :smt043

ASSEMbler & Shiggsy have plenty of goodies so maybe that's not too impossible, failing that maybe a ROM hack?

Anyhow, I just sent Yakumo the $$$ so it's in his hands :smt023

8. Calpis

Not a flash cart programmer, someone that knows R4300 assembly to write an intro.

9. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Some thoughts here.

I think if he releases the rom, it could be done on a page with a story and pics of the cart. That way when people come to get the rom, they read about it, and the cart gains legendary status. Then it will hold value.

N64 flash carts aren't exactly commonplace, and it's a large piece of hardware, not like a cdr/gdr that is really a blank cheapo medium that most people associate no value with.

Look at some nes games, you can get the roms, but they still sell for hundreds on ebay.

I would say, put up a page with the rom, the story and a pic of the cart. The story and cart will become famous and keep the value , if not grow in value. It's like neo geo, you can buy metal slug for $1000 or get the rom online, but the cart is a tangible item that holds value.

Nind you if you get someone to code an intro, it would rock 100%.
    :-D :-D :-D

10. Shiggsy

Shiggsy Enthusiastic Member

Not that you would have to know R4300 assembly to make an intro....but how were you thinking it would be made unremovable?

Shiggsy

11. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

just edit the textures :)

12. LeGIt

I guess we have your blessing to slap the ASSEMbler logo into the ROM then :smt023

13. cahaz

cahaz Guardian of the Forum

just to tell what i think, take Half-Life DC GDR and compare it with the DC castle vania GDR, both where unreleased. Still, i think someone would pay ALOT more for that (or another) Castlevania GDR than an Half-Lige one. Why? Simply because you can't play CV with any other way, since it wasn't dumped. And don't tell me Half-Life don't have is lot of fan too.

And yet, Castlevania DC was on a CD-R. ;-)

Anyway, That's how the ''market'' goes, but am i for this? No. I personnally don't think a Prototype is less valuable when dumped and would still whant a proto. if it was dumped, because it's the original thing. Still whatever i think (and you either), we won't change anything. That's how it is and it's only a fact....well, in my opinion. :smt043

Nah, it's not the same thing. A comertical game comes with a box a manual and adds, and this makes, for the most of times, the value of the game. A normal game loose worth less than a normal game with everything mint, and you don't have this in a rom.

I think it alwatys depend on wich games. A final Fantasy proto will never decrease in value. Still, i think a collector would pay more for a never dumped Final fantasy proto than a dumped one, because there's a mistery behind it and he would know he have something everyone would like to play in his hands.

like Funkstar Deluxe wrote in another thread: ''It's a psychological thing, you can't have it - there for it's better. ''

that's my opinion. ;-)

14. Calpis

Of course one needn't learn R4300 but does anyone here even do N64 development at all?

Theres no such thing as an unremoveable intro but there are strategies for releasing a game that no one would care to tamper with. For example, one could "sign" or tag random code, one could as Assembler pointed out, tamper with the graphics, these would discourage people from removing an intro because it'd be impossible to extract a perfect image without knowing a proper checksum or even what was replaced.

There must be trainer source out there that could be altered into a simple intro but likely it'd be a simple removeable frontend. To have an unremoveable intro one'd need to hide it somewhere only able to be found through debugging, but if you're clever you could the get the intro to the point where no one could fix your damage/understand your spaghetti code.

15. LeGIt

I think maybe peeps would have to go through too much trouble to rip off a modified ROM and claim it as their own, plus atleast we would all know the truth and laugh at the lil kiddies ;-)

Hacking the title screen to have the ASSEMbler logo in the corner and maybe end credits and some random bits of text in there would do the trick, a fancy intro may be a bit too pimpin :smt033

16. d4s

d4s Robust Member

thats not a good idea imo.
    the actual game mustnt be altered in any way.
    i'd say an intro is ok, though.
    theres no way to make it tamper-proof, but i dont think thatd be much of a problem.

btw, i have never worked with the n64 but im heavily into snes coding.
    if you guys ever consider to release a snes proto and want an intro in front of it, be sure to drop me a line.
    ive got selfwritten intro code up and running and we are not talking ugly static 16 colour pictures here. :-D

17. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

I could help with the MIPS assembly if there's any need... though I know absolutely nothing about the N64's hardware.

18. LeGIt

The bid has been placed and Yakumo has the $$$ - but still not too much donations yet! Uk guys especially with the exchange rate $5 is not a lot! Even if you don't like N64 or ROMS it's still only a small amount for everyone to enjoy :smt033

19. djb1986

djb1986 Gutsy Member

Damn, we didn't get it. :smt022

20. Calpis

Ahh what the hell happened?!