Ohcouchi Gengorou Ikka UNRELEASED for N64 - Community Dump

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by LeGIt, Jan 30, 2005.

1. cahaz

cahaz Guardian of the Forum

Re: Ohcouchi Gengorou Ikka UNRELEASED for N64 - Community Du

you get it right, he want to get a free proto by ecahnging the rom with the community. But take it on another angle, what if the buy wasn't Legit, what if after buying the prototype he/she suddentlty disapeared leaving no traces at all of the proto, no pictures nor roms or anything else. Legit, on the other hand, whant to share that proto. with the community by asking 5 bucks until the 500 limit is reached. 5 bucks to play a rom you would never be able to pay and play normally without a free 500 bucks in you pocket. Sure, the Prototpye price legit own will decrease because it will be released to the public, but it's still the original and not a fake. So i think everyone is in a winning position. ;-)

edit: uh, sorry i clicked the quote button on a unrefreshed page, and didn't notice you added IGNORE while typing my response.

2. The_Squeege

The_Squeege Guest

One thing I don't get, just like I didn't get it during the whole PA "fiasco" was how come the buyer gets to keep the cart/GD? You paid nothing for it, yet you get to keep it. Makes no sense to me. Surely dumping a ROM isn't worth $500. Wouldn't it make more sense to sell it and then refund everyone's money after it's been dumped?

Just don't get it, no offence though.

3. djb1986

djb1986 Gutsy Member

^ Because even if he did sell it. Most people on Y! Japan or eBay won't pay the $500 for it.

4. *sigh* It's sad to see people actually believe this sort of scaremongering... :smt009

5. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Thats not exactly true, I have a Japanese friend who is willing to fundraise with other friends to buy it but he's holding off because I explained the situation on this board. If Legit doesn't win, he'll be upset with me for telling him to hold back.

The theory here is that Legit gets the cartridge since he's (well should be) putting up the seed money or the vast majority of it, otherwise he get's a free flash cartridge that took but a donation post and a little extra for shipping etc. I don't see the problem with it going to him since it's doubtful to me that he'll make anywhere near $500 in donations but I'd be slightly annoyed if I donated and he didn't win or he won but recouped all his cash. (I'd take donations AFTER I bought the cartridge, that way refunds wouldn't be necessary in any circumstance)

I don't think however that it'd be a bad idea to sell the cartridge outside this community and refund the earnings to the donators/Legit proportionally but it's ultimately Legit's decision.

6. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Had something similar come up on DP.

Cease and desist!

I've got the money sat there rattling away in my bank as we speak, I'd more than happily buy it but I wouldn't dump it. Even if half my costs were covered I'd probably still dump it. What point would there be me spending $500 on it, dumping it, making the original media more or less worthless and be $500 out of pocket when I could have put the money to better use towards my business? People sell reproductions of games they never even dumped for big $$$ yet give no thought whatsoever to the people who paid the hard cash for buying and dumping the proto in the 1st place, that's hardly fair. The $$$ is to recoup costs obtaining the material on the cart, not the cart itself.

Sure the cart would end up in my collection and at a reduced cost (and subsequently reduced value at that), but every man and their dog who wanted to play it will be able to do to so too. The cart would never be sold - if anything it would be donated to a museum/video games event such as CGE for yet more people to enjoy.

If it makes you feel any better, if the cart cost is met I won't even look at it, after it get's dumped goes straight to CGE for a display or something.

There have been no similar complaints in the past when peeps have done it with other unreleased games so I don't see why it should be a problem this time around.

7. arsenal

arsenal Guest

I like it when you say cease and desist with that attitude :drinkers:

8. youruglyclone

youruglyclone Spirited Member

sorry to the ignorant, but could you provide some background on the game?

but yeah this sounds like a cool idea I might churn out 5 bucks for this

edit: learned to how click a link nm

9. cahaz

cahaz Guardian of the Forum

nah, you miss quoted me. Yes, alot of people belive this, but im not one of those the proto is still the original and not a copy. Sadly, alot of people in the community see it on another angle, and no mather if you belive it or not, the ones that belives it will make you cart worth less. Less buyers means less profit when it comes to one single cart.

10. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

Legit, Did you get my payment?

11. LeGIt

Yeh I got it :smt023 Added you on the list of donors @ the bottom of the 1st post yesterday.

12. Ah, my bad, I guess I misunderstood you. But with the amount of people who believe that having unreleased games dumped on the internet, there's got to be SOMEPLACE where I can get a Propeller Arena GD-R for $15, right? Because everyone knows it's worthless after its release. And moreover, Dracula X and Radiant Silvergun are both relatively easy to find in their Internal System Overview form - how come they aren't $7 a piece? Am I just not looking in the right places?? :smt022 :smt009

Or is it maybe that the idea of games devaluing when they are dumped for people that couldn't afford them anyways is total bullshit? ;-) :smt043

Anyways, a bit more on-topic - it might be a rather academic question at this point with all the interest, but do we even know if this game is worth $500?? What sort of gameplay are we going to get? Will it be just text-based, or what? There's not a lot we can tell from the pictures, unfortunately, and while I love unreleased games, getting something unplayable by non-readers of Japanese might be a bit anticlimactic to the interests generated this far.

Now, if it were Echo Delta on the other hand.. :-D

13. LeGIt

Could be :p

Nah :p Less people interested because it was ripped = less people bidding / trading :(

Is it worth $500? Maybe, maybe not. It's unreleased which has to count for something and if it's any good even better! As for gameplay who knows, but hopefully it won't be unplayable for those of us who can't read japanese like myself. Someone could be kind enough to do a full translation guide - GaijinPunch was saying how he would like to translate stuff to keep his linguistic skills sharp so he would be the perfect candidate assuming he was willing. The other gamble being that the game could be too japanese for us to "get it" even with a translation, but as most chaps are donating $5 a pop it's no real financial loss and it's still another unreleased game out there for the people ;-)

14. einbebop44

einbebop44 Guest

I commend LeGiT for this. Really, he's taking an initiative to do something that may end up costing him money--a good deal of money,

Everyone whining fails to take into account that LeGiT is taking a risk here--making an "ass" of himself, having to pay $300+ out of his own pocket, getting the cart lost in the post etc.

15. Well, the original question was actually rhetorical in nature, spiced with the exquisite flavor we call sarcasm. But seriously this time - if a release being freely available on the internet affects the value of the original, I challenge you to find me a Propeller Arena GD-R for $50, or Radiant Silvergun for $35, or Dracula X for $30. Really, find them for me. I don't think you have any comprehension how the collector's market works at all.

16. arsenal

arsenal Guest

What company made this game/ was going to produce it?

17. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

No one knows.

18. arsenal

arsenal Guest

I asked since the ambiguity of the spelling isn't going to help so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew. But we'll know soon hopefully.

19. manopac

manopac Spirited Member

my two cents ... I think Legit is right, if a generic cart with a flash rom is dumped, its worth nothing ... like Propellar Arena GD-R, because its free available and everyone could burn a copy of it to one of the many empty GDRs flying around ... Radiant Silvergun or Dracula X is a different story, I can get you a self burned copy for $35, I can produce as many as you want, but finding the ORIGINAL is still much harder ... so the value of THAT will rise ... I don't think that you can get big bucks for a Half-Life or Prop-Arena GDR on ebay now (nowhere close the $1000 they went in the first place)

I actually don't count any copy on a generic disc as an Original, no matter where it was burned ... the value lies in the data, not the disc, data free available -> drop in value ...
    Radiant Silvergun: value lies in the disc/manual/inlays/etc. -> data free available -> no drop in value ...

20. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Of course, because any fool in the street can buy a programmable N64 cart from Game and stick this ROM onto EEPROM with their handy EEPROM programmer. Please.

Since you mentioned Propellor Arena, let's not forget we also got another unreleased DC game ripped and released recently. Then last week it sold on ebay for... £400? $800 dollars for a game that's freely available. Hell, I could burn it on a printable CDR and make a design for a CD printer to make it look white label, if I felt like ripping someone off with a non-authentic disc. The point is that the buyer was obviously a collector with large amounts of cash who wanted the real thing - he could have downloaded it but he didn't.

GSL said it best: