Officially licensed street fighter 2 snes repro cart

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by sayin999, Aug 31, 2017.

1. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

IMG_5922.PNG Iam8bit, best known for releasing video game soundtracks on vinyl and their physical release of Rez infinity on ps4, has announced they are releasing officially licensed street fighter 2 carts for snes for....$100??? I've enjoyed and had some to their releases and usually they're good quality but this repro cart and packaging just screams wacky. Especially for $100 for a game that's not hard to find complete for a reasonable price. If people really want nicer art and packaging they could get the super famicom version for next to nothing. Not sure how Capcom approved this but they did.

https://store.iam8bit.com/products/street-fighter-ii-30th-anniversary-edition

Gotta love the glow in the dark blanka cartridge.

2. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Licensed by Capcom but not Nintendo? How fun.

3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

This is one of these BECAUSE I COULD items. I won't buy one it's just Vanilla and I have a Super Famicom not SNES.

Seems kind of pointless. But lets see 5200 of these, Should stand to make a Half Million off these if they sell out.
    Can't even call that a cash grab.

4. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

> if they sell out.
    They're such a hot item, they already did.

5. HiSpec

HiSpec Member

I don't think that's right... orders appear to still be open on the website.

6. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Now the real question here is this: will it have on-cartridge DLC?

Seriously though, this is an awesome thing to do. I'm not big into Street Fighter so I won't be getting it but it is cool nonetheless.

7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Looks cool, but not worth $100. I have the SNES version of Street Fighter 2. I also have the Saturn version of Super Street Fighter 2, and I like that more. I'm not particularly good at any of the Street Fighter games. I enjoy them anyway.

8. Neo-Alec

Neo-Alec Rapidly Rising Member

Pointless. I'm all for physical releases, but if this sells, the shelf queens have gone too far.

9. Mystical

Mystical Resolute Member

too expensive but plenty of people who collect cartridges will most likely want one for the collection, im guessing its aimed at the Retro Collectors as the market is quite large now

10. dibmem

dibmem Rising Member

<self-edit>

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  11. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

The retrogaming market just redefined the word insane.

[​IMG]

12. GodofHardcore

If ever there was a time to use this movie quote it's now:

13. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I'm in the "waste of time" group of thinkers. First, street fighter 2 is ultra common plus the US art is legendry bad. You can buy a pure mint SFC original for peanuts.
    Also, charging 100 US Dollars is mad! Only a real nut case would spring big money for something you can already get without searching.

14. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

I'm in the same boat with you but you'd be shocked how some people are estatic about this with some doing an impulse buy already. They did a great job with the Rez vinyl soundtrack but this release seems pointless on so many levels. What's even crazier is they plan to do more of these licensed reproductions.

15. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

I'm also in the waste of time group. If you seriously wait it out you can buy a brand new sealed copy of the original on ebay for under $100 for god sakes.

If this was $50 or $60, or a game that was a more limited print run back in the day then that maybe makes sense but at $100 this is nothing more then a cash crab for shelf collectors. =|

16. GameScanner

GameScanner Active Member

Probably due to the fact SNES certification process no longer exists.

17. GodofHardcore

If any good comes off this we could see decently priced official repros of rare games.

But I don't see this ending well, this could be what bursts the Retro bubble.

18. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

More likely Nintendo wouldn't want to be associated with such a thing. Or they'd want more control and more money.

Official reprints of rare games would be nice, but seems fairly unlikely to happen. And if they end up costing this much I'm not sure it's going to help. Plus as others said, for the asking price and the game in question this is insane. One of the most common SNES games doesn't need a reproduction. I guess they are playing off the 30th anniversary thing.

19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

But why. If it's $100, why didn't they at least design the PCB properly? If there is really a lack of voltage shifters, then the cart may not last... which means the $100 won't last too long.

20. rhydin

rhydin Newly Registered

I read a comment on a facebook post of this cart that seemed silly to me - that it could damage your console. There's no merit to this, is there?