Official Rhea Discussion

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by citrus3000psi, Jul 16, 2015.

1. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

Are there rhea clones like the gdemu clones? Rhea is way to expensive so an alternative would be welcome. (Satiator doesn't count)
    Thanks.

2. bahamutfan64

bahamutfan64 Active Member

The Rhea/Phoebe haven’t been cloned.

3. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

I'm surprised they haven't been cloned yet. The first person to manufacture a cheaper viable alternative is sure to make a killing.

4. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

Are you planning on asking when the Satiator is released if a cheaper clone has been released for it too? Do you think jhl should even bother continuing with his efforts if he's just going to get ripped off in the end?

5. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

I don't care for cheaper- I care about something that works, works well, and is available. Not having to use my stack of CDRs? Priceless. Plus a lot of people don't have their Saturns modded and are forced to pay for physicals. Screw that noise!

Clones are always a gamble and they rarely work as good as the real thing. Plus you can't usually update them to newer firmwares and such. At the end of the day it's really not worth the cost savings to potentially ruin your console or have to deal with the cluster of issues that comes with using clone hardware.

What I'd like to see instead is more competition. I'd love to see someone make some ODEs to compete in the space. There clearly is a market for it all.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  6. CabbageHead

CabbageHead Member

I recently got a Reha and I honestly don't know why, but I can't get the menu to work.
    I do everything in the instructions and I can play the games just fine with pressing the button on the board.
    However the Saturn does not read the RMenu Iso and is saying that the drive is empty.
    Could anyone help me with that ?

7. Damn-Deal-Done

Damn-Deal-Done Spirited Member

I did quite a thorough pdf guide somewhere on this thread. Should help.

8. CabbageHead

CabbageHead Member

Yes, those where the instructions I was following.
    I even got a new SD Card that I know is compatible.
    Correct me if I missed something but:
    Fat32 SD Kingston 16GB micro SD.
    All games inserted using GDSDCard maker. Vga, menu a.o off.
    Folder 01 start RMenu.
    .ini file..

I really don't know what I did wrong..

9. Damn-Deal-Done

Possible that your Rhea.ini is called Rhea.ini.txt if you don't have visible file extensions in windows. That's the one bit missing from the guide.

Off the top of my head the setting is at. Control panel, folder options, view, show extensions for known file types.

10. CabbageHead

CabbageHead Member

Thank you for the hint but the .ini file is correct.
    The Saturn is just not seeing the iso, so I have to channel through the games (cdi) via button on the board.
    Could it be the RMenu Version or that I'am using a PAL Console ?... otherwise isn't possible to make an image from a SD Card ?
    Couldn't someone make an Image from a working 16GB card ? I know it seems like a stretch but I'm running out of ideas where to look.

11. Damn-Deal-Done

Don't think version or pal unit is a problem.

Been well over a year since i set mine up.

Does rmenu.exe bring up the command prompt window and create the game list after running it?

12. CabbageHead

CabbageHead Member

Yes rmenu seems to work fine.
    I recently contacted neuro acid and he was kind enough to take a look at the Iso.
    So I'm waiting for a reply of that.

13. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

Just got a shipping confirmation on my Phoebe order! Now I need to get a good-sized SD card. Anyone know if microSD cards in an adapter have issues being read compared to full-size SD cards? MicroSD cards seems to be much cheaper than their full-size counterparts.

14. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

When I had a Rhea it never cared that I used a micro in a SD package adapter.

I don't know about cheaper, but I figure if I can use an adapter that means my one card is usable on multiple devices where as the SD is only usable on some.

15. nonosto

nonosto Dauntless Member

from my experience chinese clone not work perfectly...also not work at all...

16. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

Just got my Phoebe today! I got it all up and working but with some issues yet.

First of all, a 128GB microsd card and rmenu is working fine. Used this command on my Mac to format the disk:
    sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 PHOEBE MBRFormat /dev/disk2

I did run into one issue, however, and that's converting from my redump set (multi BIN + CUE) to CloneCD. I used UltraISO like has been suggested in this thread but it isn't working fully. Several games get no sound. Here is what I am trying:

- Going into convert and selecting just the .cue file. It says it can't find the BIN files even though the CUE files writes them correctly. Seems UltraISO doesn't like the different tracks?
    - I tried doing the same as above except selecting every file in the directory. This works, however, I get the following message when I convert: invalid or unknown image file format. I test this file and this is the file that has missing/no/incorrect audio depending on the game.

I guess my question is do you know what's wrong? Are there better ways of doing this? I am open to any Linux, Windows, or OSX tool. Ideally something that's easy/lightweight/open source if that even exists.

17. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

Luckily I stumbled across a post on Reddit where some guy had the same issue. First mount the multi-bin + cue game with Daemon Tools. UltraISO could then rip the game to whatever format I chose. I tested it last night and got some games to work. I'll update if I run into any other games that don't seem to work.

18. evilashxero

evilashxero Active Member

I have a Phoebe and a Rhea...and was wanting to know what's the biggest SD Card I can put in these things? I have a 32 GB, but I'd like to expand upon that, as much as possible. Maybe have the whole library over a few cards.
    Is there a size and brand that anyone would recommend?

19. evilashxero

evilashxero Active Member

I see a lot of discussion of the 128 GB Kingston. Are there any quirks with it, that anyone has?
    Anything better come along?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  20. Sloth

Sloth Active Member

Expense isn't the reason GDEmu got cloned, people were happy to pay the requested price. It was the artificial scarcity. The manufacturer wasn't supplying the demand, so somebody else did.

If the demand was high enough for Rhea, it's safe to assume the same thing would happen eventually.