Official Rhea Discussion

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by citrus3000psi, Jul 16, 2015.

1. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

always less than you......

2. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

Words from a math teacher. ;)

3. Comp1demon

Comp1demon Spirited Member

MY Marvel Super Heroes Crashes back to Dashboard.. Normal or Bad Image? (not using ram cart) - Phoebe user.

4. msimplay

msimplay Member

Try a clone cd image I'm using Rhea and I've had no issues with Marvel Super Heroes with or without ram cart I can only imagine it's the same for Phoebe

5. Droid III

Droid III Rising Member

MSH definitely works on the units.

6. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Must be a bad rip. MSH fine here.

7. Segafan1985

Segafan1985 Member

I just updated my firmware to the latest version and got rmenu 0.2 yesterday.

Now it seems like a ton of my games will boot but then crash back to the cd player menu. Anyone else encountering this? I try all the options, fast, full, cart boot and still having issues. Seems like the rmenu 0.1.3 and the firmware from early 2017 was the most stable.

is there any place that has the older rhea firmwares to see if they work better?

says "drive empty" once back at the cd player screen.

i have trurip and darkwater sets i believe that seemed to work just fine before the updates.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  8. rayik24

rayik24 Active Member

Attached is RMENU 0.1.3

Attached Files:

9. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

Latest firmware was a major update. A couple of games I had started to crash on boot after the update, I went back and got the bin/cue rips (darkwater/redump/ etc..) of those games and converted to .cdi. They now work.

It's possible the method you've been using to convert images isn't getting along with the new firmware. I don't have any other issues with RMENU .2 and the new firmware.

krisk77 likes this.
  10. Segafan1985

Segafan1985 Member

Thanks for the replies. My method which worked great before was convert bin and cue to clonecd (.img) with ultra iso. What is the best program to convert clonecd to .cdi?

11. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

The images I was having trouble with were CCD/sub/img. I don't know what program was used to convert them. I still have a ton of images in that format that seem to work fine, so I'm not sure why those specific games had issues.

You could try Clone CD instead of ultra iso.

My method for making .cdis is a pain if you're on a Windows 10 machine. I mount the bin/cue to an older version of daemon tools. Then load up disc juggler 6 to make a .cdi

Also, I would not recommend trying to convert those ccd images you're having trouble with to another format. Start fresh with the original bin/cue files you downloaded.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  12. Segafan1985

Segafan1985 Member

Thanks for all the help! Redoing 410 images from scratch sounds tough but i’ll give it a try. Which version of daemon tools do u recommend?

13. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

OOF! Before you go down that road, just rule out that it isn't your SD card, the RMENU install etc... Grab another formatted card, no menu. Stick a game that is giving you trouble in folder 01. (appropriate .ini settings if it's from another region or whatever). See what happens. Also, I don't know if the following would cause anything... but did you make sure to slide the SD card lock tab back to normal after the firmware update?

Also, double check that the ribbon cable is seated fully. console/rhea

Daemon Tools Lite 4.4 ..something should work. Disc Juggler 6 has issues with windows 10, I hope you have an older OS if you're planning that method. Make sure you're checking: scan gaps/indexes, R-W (CD+G), PQ, and RAW read in the DJ6 advanced tab before creating an image.

14. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Latest fw/Rmenu 0.2, I still use Win 7 using DJ 6.00 + DT 4.4.3 to make CDI images. Tested over 200 converts and not one failed to boot using a combination of trurip and darkwater rips.

CCD/IMG, i found to be mixed results and not as reliable as CDI imo. For Windows 10 there is a registry edit that you can do to fix Discjuggler's compatibility, yet you need a installed program folder from a previous older OS to do it.

15. cr4zymanz0r

cr4zymanz0r Member

Is there an archive of all the different firmware versions for Rhea? On the website I just see the latest version for download and the changlog for all the versions.

I was going to troubleshoot a minor sound popping issue this weekend that I could've swore I didn't have until recently-ish, So going try to figure out what the culprit is by trying different firmwares, different SD cards, another Saturn with a CD-ROM, etc.

16. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

I don't see how that could be the Rhea or newest firmware. I don't have any issues with the device streaming redbook audio. Any chip tunes or sound effects would be loaded and executed from RAM.

At the console's age, capacitors on their way out is a real possibility. Or maybe something on your audio+video setup side.

Do you have a specific area in a game where you're noticing this? or is it everywhere?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  17. cr4zymanz0r

cr4zymanz0r Member

I'm not necessarily even blaming it on the Rhea, I'm just trying to be thorough in troubleshooting. It's so minor that even if other people have it I don't know if they'd even really notice it.

The main place I hear it is in X-Men vs Street Fighter. If you're on the title screen or options menu where everything is silent, when you move through the menus it makes a sound effect. sometimes (25% to 50%?) at the end of the sound effect I'll hear a very minor pop. It's almost like a quiet crackle, but just one note of it (if that makes any sense). I'll hear it in other parts of the game and some other games (but not everything), but the title/options is the easiest area to reproduce it. I haven't been playing the Saturn a ton recently, but I never recalled hearing it before, then I upgraded my Rhea to the latest firmware a few weeks back and started noticing it shortly afterwards. Could be related, or could just be my ears getting more keen to audio nuances as I dabble more in that area.

I doubt anyone would even notice it on TV speakers. I could notice it on a random $100 Vizio sound bar, and Sony reciever with some Klipsch speakers I got this week. I also modded the Saturn for digital optical audio, and the popping is there on analog and digital. Again, it's so minor that it's probably a non-issue for 98% of people even if it does turn out to be an issue with every Saturn or Rhea. It's one of those things that once I heard it I can't unhear it :p.

I assume someone will say the Rhea doesn't have anything to do with audio other than redbook audio, but I don't know if the Rhea/CD-ROM has some other sound logic or not. I just know when I forgot to hook the Rhea back up after the digital audio mod I wasn't getting any sound in the bios either (didn't check if that was the case for analog audio), but then was fine was the Rhea was connected again.

18. cr4zymanz0r

cr4zymanz0r Member

Ok, had a friend with an older version of the Rhea firmware try and he has it as well.
    I dug out a Saturn model 2 out of the closet with the original disc drive and tried it on there as well. It also had the crackle/pop. I guess it's just inherent to the Saturn and/or the samples and sound implementation some games used.

19. Droid III

Droid III Rising Member

Sound effects crackling randomly is normal, it's due to the way the SCSP resamples sound internally.

20. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Active Member

You should hook me up with Coin Puzzle Moujiya and Zoop images :)