Official Rhea Discussion

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by citrus3000psi, Jul 16, 2015.

1. AhmedXyz

AhmedXyz Rapidly Rising Member

Ok, so I did some testing myself using a dump of Monster Slider that matches redump.org database.

First, redump.org does preserve multi-indexed tracks in the .cue-file.

Converting this to .cdi before updating Rhea firmware, the multi-indexed tracks (containing various one-liners) are played beginning to end, and subtitles on cutscenes freeze during this.
    After updating firmware, nothing changed, so I went back to Discjuggler and altered some settings. Specifically, checking both PQ and R-W made the game run properly, picking one-liners from within tracks during gameplay and having proper dialogue in cutscenes that are synced to subtitles.

I conclude that Discjuggler is able to properly regenerate subchannel data from the .cue-file given proper settings. This should give working images of all games with multi-indexing.

Fogamer Six likes this.
  2. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Active Member

Thank you, my kids really like this game. Going to have to try this out.

3. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Could you test Clone CD, since that is another prefered format that works with sub channel data and since a majority use Win 10 (DJ does not natively support it anymore without some registry tweak)

4. AhmedXyz

AhmedXyz Rapidly Rising Member

Ok, so I may have spoken too soon. Trying it again, I notice that voices are not synced properly with animations in Monster Slider. This is fixable by shifting all non-zero indexes down in the .cue-file, say, about 1 sec.

This was all done on Ubuntu 17.10, using CDEmu 3.1.0 (for mounting bin/cue to a virtual drive) and Discjuggler 6.00 1400-PRO2 running in wine.

So the fault could be in any of the following:
    -An error in the actual .cue, like wrong pregap(?) or non-standard formatting (is there any standard?)
    -CDEmu misinterpreting the .cue layout so indexes get shifted
    -Discjuggler messing up the conversion somehow

I have noticed bad sound sync in other games that do not use multi-indexed tracks as well. I would be very interested in hearing if anyone (preferably with a windows + Daemontools setup) can reproduce this!

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can find a way of converting to clone cd on my Linux machine. That would help ruling out above issues as well.

krisk77 likes this.
  5. Poorcomputerman

Poorcomputerman Active Member

Has anyone been able to get Outrun(J) Saturn working? I have been able to get it to run in an emulator, but when I convert it to CDI or MDS the image is not recognized by Rmenu but it still works on the emulator in demontools.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. Nopileus

Nopileus Rapidly Rising Member

7. Krycek7o2

Krycek7o2 Member

Grab version 2. I ended up buying the original disc a few months ago.

8. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Active Member

I can confirm that I have the Redump dump of Sega Ages - Outrun (J) running on Rmenu/Rhea. It was converted from multi-BIN to BIN/CUE using CDmage, then converted to MDS/MDF format using ultraISO

Fogamer Six likes this.
  9. The Rook

The Rook Member

What does everyone recommend for which disc image set to use with Rhea?

Redump
    TOSEC
    Darkwater

And is there a master list showing what games from what sets definitely work or don't work?

10. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Active Member

No there isn't a master list. Personally I recommend this order. Trurip>Redump>Darkwater
    *I don't use Tosec as they aren't nearly as accurate.
    Planet Emulation has Trurip dumps
    Internet Archives has Redump dumps
    Isozone has Darkwater dumps

11. The Rook

The Rook Member

I have full Redump, Darkwater, and TOSEC. I'll have to get the Trurip set. Thanks for the info.

12. The Rook

The Rook Member

Is the Trurip set favored for Rhea because the discs are in the CCD/IMG/SUB format and don't require any converting?

13. Fogamer Six

NONE of the sets are just 100% working. It took around 6 months of weekends getting 99 - 98% there for us. Many I just ripped myself, some games are just plain missing from the sets and sites. We like puzzle games, and ended up tracking down a few and buying them like Zoop, and Coin Puzzle Moujiya as a few examples. Of course we had to buy the Ultraman and KOF95 game specific carts as well. There is no drop and play pack at this time, that I am aware of.

14. Droid III

Droid III Rising Member

Ripping my original games with clonecd / discjuggler works 100% of the time, it is literally a drop and play solution: rip disc, drop the image file to sd card, play.

15. A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows Spirited Member

i'm ripping my entire collection via redump.org, and keeping the ccd/img/sub format as a collection for rhea

16. Fogamer Six

Yes, I found that to be most useful. I meant that there are no sets you can just download and have everything, from a site, group, or torrent. Our hobby has gotten to this "retropie mentality" where there is just this idea of a single file that does it all for you. In my day we called that LAZY :p For those thinking they can do it, that just simply doesn't exist. That if you did you would get junk titles, you really wouldn't want to play... making your own mix is more fun anyway. Especially since you get to 'play test' as you go.

17. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

Someone test 256 or 512 Gb SD card, what's model please?

THX

18. Fogamer Six

Important to buy from a reputable dealer, in retail package:
    PNY Elite Performance High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I

nonosto likes this.
  19. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

20. MeteK

MeteK Rapidly Rising Member

Bigger SD, more money to make ?