Official Rhea Discussion

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by citrus3000psi, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

I'm not sure what's going on with Space Jam, other than I can tell the audio tracks have a ton of index marks for the commentary. I tried ripping the actual disc with DJ6, using the standard settings I've used for every other physical Saturn disc. It took over 30 minutes, as the scan worked it's way through the index markers. This is the first disc rip (that I've personally made) I've had not work on the Rhea. It won't even load, shows as drive empty.

I did find a CCD image of the game that loads, but same issue you guys are having. Interestingly, If I mount the images in Daemon Tools and fire up SSF. It acts just like the "working" image with the Rhea. Commentary track just plays, and freezes after first quarter until the current audio track it's stuck on ends. Emulated footage on youtube of the game shows the same deal.

Are there any other sports games on the Saturn that used indexed audio tracks for commentary? I've tried a handful of EA and other titles, so far I haven't found a similar issue.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

The handful of EA and other sports titles I checked aren't using redbook audio with index markers for commentary..

However, both the WWF games are by Acclaim/Sculptured. Same folks who did Space Jam. Those are also using indexed redbook for commentary.(although it looks like all is on the first track only). Those work fine, so the ODE can see audio track index cues.

WWF in your house also works in the same version of SSF I tested Space Jam with, mounted to Daemon as well. No audio issues. Really weird :confused:.

Space Jam is such a mediocre game though, I don't really feel like spending any more time on it. I think the next step would be to give Deunan a shout if anyone cares to and see if he can tell what's going on.

3. chromium

chromium Active Member

Was using a 128GB Samsung loaded with games and it works fine in my Rhea, copied all the files to a new 200GB Sandisk formatted to Fat32 but it won't work :( I have another 200GB Sandisk that works fine in my GDEmu, so thought this would be ok, haven't tried this new one in the GDEmu. Hope I can get this working in the Rhea as it was the only reason I bought it.

Is there anything I can try to make it work or am I screwed?

Edit: Reformatted and copied only the 001 with rmenu in it and that loaded. Dunno if maybe it was too full before or something? I'll try adding a few games and see what happens. The 128 GB I came from was full, all I did was copy everything to the 200 GB

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  4. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

NBA Action (not 98) has a similar announcer issue like Space Jam.

Night-Dweller likes this.
  5. Beaat1x5

Beaat1x5 Member

Would anyone happen to have any experience in fixing taito chase HQ+SCI(J) for use on the Phoebe/Rhea??? I can't figure out if im doing anything wrong on backing up my copy... but nancy won't shut the hell up

6. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

I just tried converting a bin/cue from the net and get the same problem. Make sure you're scanning for index/gaps during the rip on your actual disc, but I imagine you'll get the same results.

This seems to be related to the same issue with Space Jam, and NBA action that I just mentioned above. The voices are run together on long audio tracks, the system is just playing a small piece of that track when needed. Why the Phoebe/Rhea has trouble with some games I don't know, there's others like the two WWE wrestling games with indexed commentary that work fine.

Interestingly, I tried Chase HQ in SSF 012 beta R3 and it does the same thing as on the Rhea. Same thing with Space Jam. There must be some sort of mechanism that's causing issues with these games.

7. Beaat1x5

Beaat1x5 Member

apparently there's a fix for chase HQ in SSF that requires changing an option in the emulator itself

8. Beaat1x5

Beaat1x5 Member

Contacted GDEMU about the issue and he said there would be a fix incoming for it.. may even apply to space jam and other games

Night-Dweller likes this.
  9. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

Awesome, firmware updates are easy enough.

10. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Rhea/Pheobe update. Not tried it myself since I dont play these games but great that it's been looked at.

Consider it a late Xmas present: There is a new FW for Rhea/Phobe that should fix those few games that use CDDA for voiceovers. It’s probably not a complete list but the affected titles are:

• Taito Chase HQ
    • Side Pocket 2
    • Space Jam
    • Nobunaga no Yabou Shouseiroku
    • Monster Slider
    I did test it but not very extensively and the code change is significant so new bugs might manifest too.

Greg2600 likes this.
  11. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Active Member

Great to hear. When I get some time I'll give them a whirl.

12. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

The rip I have of Space Jam off the net now plays past the 1st Quarter, however there is now no commentary at all. (maybe it was a bad rip)

However, I can't get my physical copy of the game to rip a working image. I'm using DJ6 with the usual 4 options. Rhea/Phoebe sees it as drive empty. o_O

13. fille

fille Rapidly Rising Member

I got space jam working,clone cd image,playing 2nd quarter and still have announcer in the game.
    Sega Saturn (v2014-05-11 15-32-23),search for this package or a newer 1 at usenet or somewhere else.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  14. AhmedXyz

AhmedXyz Rapidly Rising Member

I would be interested in hesring if anyone has any luck with these CDDA voiceover games with redump.org rips that's been converted to cdi.

It worries me that the subtrack may contain important info that they ignore...

15. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

Deunan pointed many times subtrack IS necessary. If Redump omitted it, then they once again did bad work.

jopamo and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  16. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Active Member

So does anyone have a good rip of Super Tempo with the rap at the beginning? Was the old bios the issue? Hadn't tried to get it working again.

17. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

Never noticed any issue. The rip I have was a bin/cue I found on one of the standard ISO sites and converted to .cdi.
    The intro rap is there.

18. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Active Member

Every rip I've tried has been either the rap, or the wrong audio where it plays the laugh tracks. Never both working. For hundreds of obvious reasons (dollars) I've not been able to rip this one myself. Willing to message me Atolm?

Thanks in advance.

19. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

There's really nothing to message about, just google "Super Tempo ISO". There's only 2 redbook audio tracks. The intro rap, and the drums w/laughing for the end credits.

Fogamer Six likes this.
  20. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Active Member

Tested Space Jam NTSC (Redump). The announcer no longer goes on a tangent, but I do think some things he says "points wise" don't make sense. Also, at the end of a quarter it can freeze for up to 20 seconds. Tested with and without Rmenu

Fogamer Six likes this.