Official Rhea Discussion

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by citrus3000psi, Jul 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Damn-Deal-Done

Damn-Deal-Done Active Member

I made a quick guide for setting up an SD Card with Rmenu for Rhea.

Anyone think of a way to make it better, let me know.

Thanks

2. Nopileus

Nopileus Rising Member

It can load .iso images for sure, they just won't have any CD audio tracks which the menu does not have anyway.
    So you dropped the BIN folder and RMENU.exe in the 01 folder on the sd card, then ran the .exe from the SD card?

I am current using rmenu 0.2 using that procedure without any problems.

3. GusLanzetta

GusLanzetta Member

I actually got it to work as folder 01 after that. Don't know what changed. Thanks for the help, guys. Will definetly save that guide.

4. Umgawa

Umgawa Newly Registered

Hi, as a recent purchaser of a rhea board I've come into a bit of an issue with converting cue/bin files to cdi.
    I've been through this thread and people suggest daemon tools to mount the files however the older version mentioned does not work on my PC (latest windows 10). Any advice? If I can get away with not burning every disc before converting that would be great!
    Also for the auto region in the .ini file my console is a Japanese console but has built in Taiwan on the rear should I select the Taiwan code?
    I can get the Rmenu to come up but any game I've converted (using alcohol120 to mount onto virtual drive) comes up as a audio disc in the saturn menu!
    Greatly appreciate any advice!

5. Damn-Deal-Done

Not familiar with win 10 so can't comment why the specific daemon tools doesn't work. I use it on my win 7 machine.

Archive.org should have a good collection of trurip saturn images.

Choose Japan code.

6. GusLanzetta

GusLanzetta Member

As said above, there is a great number of ready for Rhea Saturn games on archive.org: https://archive.org/search.php?query=rhea saturn phoebe

If Japan region isn't working maybe try Taiwan just to be sure. If not then the it's the image file. I use Win 10 and dumped my discs with Clone CD.

7. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Active Member

Try a program called UltraISO. You can easily convert your Bin/Cue to either MDF or IMG and they work perfectly.

8. ceramicsaturn

ceramicsaturn Member

I tried UtraISO, and converted a couple games to MDF, and the menu says it's not recognized as a Saturn game. When placed in the Rhea, it doesn't recognize anything to read.

9. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Active Member

Are you putting the games in folders 02, 03, 04, etc? Are you running Rmenu.exe so that it generates a menu list before trying the games?

10. Damn-Deal-Done

Hello. I have a bunch of TruRip saturn images to use with Rhea and a lot of the games have multiple versions. Does anyone know what the numbers mean?

Example: Street Fighter Zero. End numbers [1], [2], [3].
    It has four versions. In this case it is easy to see that version V1.003 will be the newest one, but what are the numbers next to V1.002?

Street Fighter Zero (1995)(Capcom)(JP) - [V1.002][1].ccd
    Street Fighter Zero (1995)(Capcom)(JP) - [V1.002][2].ccd
    Street Fighter Zero (1995)(Capcom)(JP) - [V1.002][3].ccd
    Street Fighter Zero (1995)(Capcom)(JP) - [V1.003].ccd

Example: Alone In The Dark. End letters [A], [B ].

Alone in the Dark - Jack is Back (1996)(Infogrames Entertainment)(EU) - [A].ccd
    Alone in the Dark - Jack is Back (1996)(Infogrames Entertainment)(EU) - [B ].ccd

Example: Daytona USA. End numbers [1], [2,4],

Daytona USA (1995)(Sega)(EU) - [1].ccd
    Daytona USA (1995)(Sega)(EU) - [2,4].ccd

Example: Sega Rally Championship. End codes [E,J], [P3H,P4H]

Sega Rally Championship (1995)(Sega)(EU) - [E,J].ccd
    Sega Rally Championship (1995)(Sega)(EU) - [P3H,P4H].ccd

There are many more mystery codes.
    [A,D] and an alternative with [B ] at the end.
    [1S] then alternative with [4S] at the end.
    [3] then alternative with [4] at the end.
    [A04] then [A07]
    [1,2,3] then [4]
    [V1.002] then [V1.003] then [1.005]
    [1] then [2] then [P1K,P2K] then [P1C,P2C]
    [V1.013][3] then [V1.014][10]
    [1,3] then [2] first image has both lower and higher number than second image.
    [4MB1] then [5MM1]
    [1MB,2MB] then [1M]
    [FG621N] then [GG6210]
    [1] then [2MB] then [2MM]

You can see how all these alternative images will take up a lot of disc space, 4 times as much in some cases, so I really want to keep only the best version but this is hard with no guide to what these numbers actually mean.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 8:04 AM
  11. Droid III

Droid III Member

Most of those numbers are disc pressing codes. Many games were popular enough that they had to make a lot of manufacturing runs, but those runs may have had some slight differences. Redump indicates these by the ring code.

The actual game data is same for all of those, the difference is mostly in small things, like one audio file being different, or offset by a few bits or something like that. So just pick one and play.

The V1.013 is the only exception. Some games got multiple data revisions for various reasons. These could be game bugs, or various other misc fixes. Confusingly, Redump lists these with the version number listed in the game header, instead of the ring code they use everywhere else (further confusing because the game header doesn't even advance the version number in some cases). They should have REV A, REV B, REV C, etc. for Saturn games, instead of v1.002, v1.005, v2.013 etc.

Usually the one with the highest revision is the best. For Saturn games, the later versions are sometimes from the Satakore budget releases. Also, sometimes later versions fix game breaking bugs (like for Outrun which crashes on Saturns made after 1997).

12. Damn-Deal-Done

Cool. Cheers for the info, should save me quite a bit of disc space. Now if I could only find that all elusive TruRip Saturn dat to help organise them.