Official Rhea Discussion

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by citrus3000psi, Jul 16, 2015.

1. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I wanted to get a Rhea Discussion going so we can be on top of news and updates. Right now I know some stuff is getting dumped into the HD Loader topic.

Everybody that owns a rhea right now is on lookout for a menu system. Does anybody know if this menu is even possible. I'm not sure how the hardware is differs from the GDEMU to the RHEA. Is it even possible to send commands to the RHEA in the hardware and/or firmware's current state?

someguy1 likes this.
  2. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. neuroacid

neuroacid Rising Member

I did some work on this a few months ago before I had a Rhea/Saturn, its fully functional but there's no way yet to communicate with the device. I've talked with Deunan about a possible work-around to do it, so there's at least a theory on how to do it. Although I'm not sure if he has had time to do some work on it yet, so there's no news on that front for the moment...

I've recently picked it up again, as there's a few things I want to do while waiting for a solution to interface with the device, like improve the visuals, add some extra functionality, work out some issues with resolutions etc...

Anyway here's a screen-shot of how it looked back then, just a very basic PoC. The game list is created with a script that scans the SD card for the game's meta information and builds the menu disc image, but it also works as a stand alone by just cycling through the disc images with the button to build the list up.

RMENU.png

nonosto, MeteK, nanash1 and 6 others like this.
  4. cafealpha2

cafealpha2 Site Supporter 2015

Is there a way to access rhea's SD card via SH2 ?

5. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

Just wanted to tell about the same thing as this guy here :
    http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/official-deunans-gdemu-thread.57247/#post-821569
    i think you should have left the "Official" term for the designer of Rhea himself, un less he asked you to open and manage this thread.
    Anyway, it's a good idea, like the GDEmu thread. It was too difficult to find usefull informations in the "Let's make GDROM emulation happen" thread; Too many posts :)

6. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

I just receive mine, is it compatible with .cue/.bin image?

I found:

"IMPORTANT: Images based on CUE sheets are not supported."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  7. cr4zymanz0r

cr4zymanz0r Member

When you say your Rhea menu is fully functional but can't communicate with the device I'm assuming you mean it populates the list fine, but you can't control Rhea with the Saturn controller.

However, at its current state could the menu load, we select our game using the button on the Rhea itself, your menu show which game is currently selected, Then press a button on the controller to reboot the Saturn to load the selected game?

If so, I know it's not an ideal end result but in the meantime it'd be nice to have a beta/alpha version that would do that. If you've got 50 games on the SD card, you're trying to get to game 37, then get distracted and forgot how many times you pressed the Rhea button after 25 or so times.....that could get annoying :p

8. Nopileus

Nopileus Rapidly Rising Member

It's best to convert cue/bin to CDI images, this will work as long as the dumps you are using are good (there is a lot of crap floating around).
    Mount them using Demon Tools and use Discjuggler to create a CDI image using the following options:
    Scan gaps/indexes
    R-W (CD+G)
    PQ
    RAW read

I've had a 100% success rate using this method for now, your results may vary.

nonosto likes this.
  9. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Wait? You could easily burn Sega Saturn games in .cdi format?! i'd never knew that was possible

10. Nopileus

CDI is simply a CD image format created by the makers of Discjuggler, why shouldn't you be able to?
    (it is not in any way specific to the dreamcast and this wont make saturn games run on dreamcast)

In this case i suggested converting the image to CDI because the Rhea disc drive emulator is not compatible with cue/bin images,
    burning anything to disc was never implied.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  11. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

And just using a .ISO?

12. Nopileus

13. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

What is the most accurate/complete image format for archiving Saturn games (Image size is not an issue) that is also compatible with Rhea?

14. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

cdi

15. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  16. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

thanks for your help.

17. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

someone succes to run rhea with Action Pro replay with 4MB ram game needed?
    When I launch Marvel vs Street fighter for example, game run but when I push start for run game black screen.
    With 4MB capcom classic cartridge run.
    Action Pro Replay needed for memory card and Ram catridge.

Action Pro Repaly is very good hardware run better than 4MB ram classic and is the very good Memory card.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  18. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

Tested D&D Collection Disc 2(required 4MB) Metal Slug(1MB) KOF97(1MB) on Rhea with EMS ARP successfully.
    And one of my friend reported to me that Capcom Classic Cartridge failed to work with Metal Slug on the same Saturn console.So it seems CCC has compatible problem maybe.

19. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

It seems a randomly issues according to the catridge: I test it with two new Action Pro Replay Plus.

With the first Dungeons and Dragons Collection disc 2 run well, and Street Fighter Zero 3 boot but with graphics glitch then crash.

With the second APRP I test KOF 96, SFZ3, Marve vs SF, Xmen vs SF and Metal Slug and this game run well.

In both case when I click on button to reset and back in Saturn Menu black screen....

20. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

It sounds mostly caused by your cartridge slot.Try clean it.This problem is very common.