Nvidia Shield TV + RetroArch/Emulation

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by layzee, Jul 6, 2019.

?

Do you have an Nvidia Shield TV?

1. Yes, and I like it.

25.0%
  2. Yes, and I don't like it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, and I want one.

25.0%
  4. No, and I don't want one.

50.0%
  1. layzee

layzee Active Member

I've had this for a while now and it's a pretty amazing combo but now that I'm getting used to the whole interface, I'm run into some annoyances/issues you could say, so would like to ask some questions before this forum dies.

1) What's the proper update procedure?

The Retroarch installation by itself does not come with emulators (or "cores" as they call it). That has to be manually done in the "Online Updater" section. Suppose you already have a bunch of cores and you want to know which one of those have been updated and which have not, how are you supposed to figure that out? As far as I can tell, there are no version numbers anywhere and Retroarch doesn't automatically notify you of updates. So the only way to guarantee you have the latest versions is to redownload everything. Is there a centralised website that has update news at least? Retroarch's "News" blog section doesn't have this info (i.e. the all-important version numbers).

2) Is there a recommended emulator per console?

Many consoles such as the Nintendo Game Boy consoles have multiple emulators each. Is there an agreed upon list of cores for e.g. accuracy? This is particularly important because I believe that save states (not sure about standard save ram/memory cards) are not always compatible with each core. And I'm sure that some cores are old while others are recently updated.

3) Are there any recommended non-RetroArch standalone emulators?

Based on my testing, Drastic (a paid Nintendo DS emu) is faster and better than the ones in RetroArch (i.e. DeSmuME and melonDS). I haven't bought them yet but apparently ePSXe and FPse (both paid apps) are recommended. Having said that, RetroArch's "PCSX ReARMed" seem to work pretty well for me so far (I've encountered save state bugs though). The general consensus seems to be, use RetroArch for 16-bit cart-based consoles and older, and standalone emulators for 32-bit CD-based ones.

4) How is the Sega Saturn emulation?

Either it has a very low frame rate/sluggish (Beetle Saturn) or doesn't work at all. Not sure whether it's something wrong with my settings or what. I'm using redump's multi-track .bin/.cues set. Might have to grab a standalone Saturn emu.

5) How is the Nintendo 64 emulation?

Haven't tested yet but based on what I read, it's a bit hit or miss.

6) Where's higan?

I believe higan is the successor of bsnes.

7) Is it true that when "Scanning Directory" for roms, RetroArch only detects and sends back no-intro results?

I don't necessary have any problems with that since that is the standard, but if that's the case, I hope it is constantly updated (since no-intro's .dats are constantly updated). Again, I can't tell what has been updated or not, see question 1. I imagine this would be a nasty surprise for people who don't have no-intro rom sets.

8) Is there a technical reason why "Load State" can't be used at the same time as video recording?

I was hoping to record insane gameplay related things (e.g. scoring a 1/1028 item drop, getting to the top/bottom floor of a rougelike dungeon at level 1, 100%ing Zelda 3 with 1 save, other RNG and OCD-related stuff).

9) Is there some way to mount CD/DVD images as a virtual CD/DVD drive? Is there a way to play physical CD/DVDs on an external CD/DVD drive?

I believe the latter can't be done due to copy protection or something but if it did work, it would make the Shield even more superior. As for the former, my intention is to mount disc-based games (e.g. PS1) before running them on an emulator for compatibility purposes (some emulators are finicky in how they handle multi-track CDs).

Anyway, I'm enjoying the experience so far. Setting up the controls took me ages and a big part of that was trying to figure out how to stop the system from monopolising the Select button (otherwise that button won't work in-game). I don't have the Shield wireless controller so I'm using a PS3 controller. It's nice to see that the PS1 emulation is lagless and full-speed and the overall Nintendo DS emulation experience was feature-packed when it comes to controlling the stylus and manipulating the screen (e.g. show both screens, show one screen, swap screens etc). It's so good, you can retire your IS-Nitro-Capture and let it gather dust. Kodi formerly known as XBMC is great too. And now that they have announced a new Shield console, I'll probably get it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019