1. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Okay so I have a busted NV1 gfx card that needs new Capacitors, they are swollen and distorted.
    I've looked all over for them! They are all the same Capacitor with the following written on them:
    5N
    16V
    ( all on 1 capacitor)

5N means NF ?
    and the 10 is UF
    and 16 is volts I would assume.

2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

16V is 16 volts. No idea about 5N but the 10 might be 10uf.

3. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Yeah that's what my guess was about the 10 . I just cant locate these caps anywhere , I'm stumped.

4. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

these caps are 10uf / 16v , plenty of them on mouser/digikey/farnel/ebay

5. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

You'll need a desolder tweezer to do them if they are surface mounted.

6. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

So what's the 5N mean?

Thx man!

7. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

5N is manufacturer code , just get some 10uf/16v smd caps from a good manufacturer and you'll be fine.

Also you don't nesceserily need desoldering tweezer to remove the old smd caps, but you do need some experience as you can rip off the pads if you are not careful:

ofcourse nothing beats a specialized tool but this is a cheap way that works.

8. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Anyways upon further inspection I noticed that one of the capacitors looked a bit out of place on this board to where 1 of the the legs was not attached and looking even closer it seems that the pad is also disconnected from the board itself. Wow and I have not even touched the thing yet!

the board looks pretty fragile due to age, (err due to umm damage from the heating of the capacitors perhaps? That one was very swollen and looked to have welts around it) I don't think i'll be wiggling the caps back and forth to remove them. I can just desolder them, there is plenty of space to fit the soldering iron that I have here.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

No you don't.

I bought a pair years ago, never use them as far more hassle and harder.

10. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

What's your preferred way to remove them?

11. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

so yeah , I'm worried that because that soder pad broke off the board during shipping or from the previous owner , that I may not be able to replace the one cap. I cant locate the umm circuit path leading to where the pad was located at.

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

If you are careful the fastest and cleanest way is to twist them off. You end up with the black plastic base and 2 pins sticking up. Just cut off with side cutters and then use soldering iron to remove the remaining terminals.

I think most people who have issues with this method think you need to go crazy with the twisting, when in fact you only need a little twist back and forth for it to come away.

I'm not a fan of the wiggling as shown in the video above as it causes pads to come off more easily. Twisting them makes the inside of the cap fail and pull off. Wiggling puts the strain on the pads.

If you don't want to go with twisting (I'd suggest practice on something you don't like so you get a feel for how much twisting to do) I just go with soldering iron on one pad then lift it up a little, then swap sides and they come off easily enough.

Tweezers are just overkill but also quite clumsy in my experience. They also serve little purpose for anything else, so lot of money invested for little gain.

13. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Btw, likely 5N is the year/week code the capacitor was made.

14. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

15. eb1560

eb1560 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

How did the card go toast?

The 5N is most likely a manufacturing lot code and of little use – I’d be tempted to say prematurely that it is from Nichicon. The caps you must be referring to are surface mount (v-chip) electrolytic capacitors, with a mounting land size either 3.3mm x 3.3mm or 4.3mm x 4.3mm (probably the former?) – I know Mouser and Digikey have several caps just like this in stock.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/UWX1C100MCL2GB/493-2099-1-ND/590074

16. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

In the other thread, he stated that part of the board was damaged.

17. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

I recapped the whole board with the correct capacitors, One of the metal pads had came off where a capacitor solders to, so I had to try and fix that by scratching off a little area to reveal some of the circuit run that went to the pad so that i could bridge the gap to the capacitor, it seems like some solder may have also touched somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be touching and caused blue flames to jet out of a small pin hole on the back of the board. I was very carful when soldering and i triple checked everything before putting it in the PC.

More details: The card booted up fine at first , could even see it in the devices in windows 98. A few reboots later, the flames shot out creating the small pin hole opposite of where the damaged pad was located. ( the capacitor at the repair location looked undamaged when unsoldering it to check out the damaged area on the top of the board. (The capacitor was also mounted with correct polarity)

I also attempted another few repairs for the flame damaged area, no picture at all.
    and of the multiple NV1 cards ive seen in auction this past year, many of them had some bad looking capacitors like mine had, although mine looked worse than what I had seen online, (bubbled and slightly melted looking metal.)in looking at other NV1 cards with the capacitor issues, I'm wondering how long these boards were ment to last hahah

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  18. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

I bought one on ebay, it was too pricy but I needed it to further my research, and I got sick of waiting.
    I don't think the card should have been selling at such a ridiculous price !

19. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Hmm weird, could you identify what part the flame went from?

20. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Yeah it actually came out the back of the board very near where the capacitor by the repair was located, there was a pre drilled hole or something that was filled with solder , that's where the flames shot out from. my guess is that the solder was there to pass the electricity from the front to the back of the board ?! I'll take some pictures later when I get home.