NTSC Diablo PS1 beta disc set

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Diablodin, Jul 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Anyone know where the set went? I'm trying to get a hold of the owner.

2. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Peppy Member

A JPN beta disc was sold on eBay many years ago, I'm still biting my fingers. Went for 25£ something like that.

Or do you mean a more recent sale?

3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

It was a rather large set. I remember trying to work out a bulk deal with the seller, to which we excluded those discs from the deal (since it was a lot of stuff). My understanding is there was an EU and JP version (and NA since you know, Climax and all that was EU based so some NA was a thing) for the lots. @steven78 was the one who had initially listed them, so he'll be able to tell you who got them if sharing that information is okay.

Diablodin likes this.
  4. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

There was a bigger NTSC-J set sold prior to Climax closing? So they're not the same as the ones sold a year ago?
    If you have more info on Diablo dev/beta/proto items I'd appreciate it a lot.
    And yeah, I've tried to contact Steven a little, but hate to bother him repeatedly. And I don't want full ID on the guy owning the NTSC set. I just want to discuss.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  5. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

If there was im not aware of it.
    Times like this make me wish I picked up those instead of PRLSR but childhood me demanded PRLSR

6. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Ok. Maybe Tyree can specify.
    And yeah, if you had, then this chase would've been a bit easier for me haha. And imo nothing beats nostalgia when it comes to videogames. In the end it's all possession vs memories.

You have any more info, Tyree? I'm mainly looking for the American NTSC set athat sold last year. But I'm always down for new leads on these type of Diablo collectibles. :)

7. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Peppy Member

That was a single beta disc, I was incredibly stupid not to bid or even save the auction photos. It was more than 6 years ago on eBay UK, the disc was clearly labeled as NTSC-J and indicated it was a PS Diablo prototype or beta. Went for 24.99£ or something like that, if memory serves well.

As this was developed in the West I would not expect any major differences except the obvious language localisation for Japan, but I've always heavily regretted not buying it. I am so sorry I don't even have a photo to prove what I'm saying. :(
    I'm also a big fan of Diablo and Diablo II.

Diablodin likes this.
  8. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Just a single disc? Well that's good to know. Thanks for the info. I'll add it to my rader list.
    And yeah, 6 years ago the market for PS1 beta discs was probably a bit different.
    I'm a D1 and D2 fan myself, and I'm really looking for any clues leading to the PS1 NTSC beta set...

9. NexTheReal

NexTheReal Just call me Nex

maybe it is this?

sa1 likes this.
  10. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

The old disk I had access to was sold privately by the owner.

finalkillcams likes this.
  11. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Yeah, I own a "Fanny Batter" disc. I believe it's a PAL build if I remember. I haven't seen this video yet tho. And the person who uploaded it says he/she don't have access to the disc(?) any longer.

Is this video yours, Borman? That what you're saying? Anyway, yeah. It seems like some of these discs have leaked some years before the big Climax crash. I just didn't get to know of the sales before the NTSC set was already sold. Digging hard for clues atm. I need that set.

12. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Yes, my video. There were only a handful of other discs out there.

13. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Cool. I didn't know of that video before today. It's such a hilarious revision, haha! Did you trade/sell the "Fanny Batter" disc btw? Looking to track down individual discs as well.

14. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

15. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Bump!
    Looking for the 60 disc NTSC set of Diablo alpha/beta discs that was aqcuired from Climax.

16. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Bump! Still looking to get in contact with people who owns Diablo PS1 beta discs.
    Any help and leads is appreciated!

17. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

I'm still looking for leads on who might have the NTSC Diablo PS1 beta disc set from Climax, as well as other individual betas.
    I've been able to get a Diablo beta on an official Electronic Arts disc, so that's good news! :)

AntDRAG likes this.
  18. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

That disc is now owned by a non-collector in the music industry who was a huge fan of the game, Hangs up in his music studio.

Borman likes this.
  19. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Ok. I'll just cross my fingers he's willing to sell it some day. I'm literally on a quest for all Diablo 1 and 2 beta/prototype/press discs and I'm will to pay and trade.

I've just recently finished dumping all my Diablo PS1 betas, and I'm now onto organizing them in order of date/region build.
    It's gonna be so much fun to start researching all these builds and logging differences, and hopefully being able to paint a picture of the development process. :)
    There's still pieces of the puzzle missing, and I'd love to get in contact with whoever owns Diablo dev discs of any kind.

@Buyatari I assume it'll be weird if you asked this non-collector if he could contact me if he'd ever consider the option of selling/trading the disc?
    I'd love to be in line if it were to happen.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    sa1 likes this.
  20. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

Anything is possible but don’t get your hopes up on that disc.

I never worked directly with the new owner. His wife/girlfriend requested something one of a kind for a birthday party. You can imagine it is hard to buy things for people who buy everything they want and have everything. A second person was tasked with finding it. That person contacted me. This same person no longer has a working relationship with the new owner so I don’t have a direct way to contact them.

From my initial understanding it was mounted and framed so it might not even be playable depending on how it was done.

Diablodin likes this.