NOT ME! - Reddit User looking for help with katana

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Mrneo240, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Peppy Member

2. oldengineer

oldengineer Familiar Face

...Scary shit.

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Come on guys, has nobody from here any tips for the dude?

There could be come precious unreleased game code on this devkit. Hopefully it is only a simple issue he has.

4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Come on guys, has nobody from here any tips for the dude?

There could be come precious unreleased game code on this devkit. Hopefully it is only a simple issue he has.

5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Jesus, my wireless mouse was glitching out when I pressed reply, can a modorator PLEASE clean the duplicates up and this post too? Thanks.

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

It's not clear what are the symptoms? Could you direct to a post in particular?

The safest way to dump the HDD would be to remove it from the kit and plug it in a PC SCSI card for dumping with an imaging program like DD.

@T_chan is our resident Katana expert.

Edit:
    You realize there's no staff anymore?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    darcagn likes this.
  7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

So none of the mods come here at all anymore? I know Kevin is not here, but every mod? Admins and mods are a bit different so that is why I assumed there were at least mods here.

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Only Kevin's left with moderating powers. I personally hope he will come back in time. Maybe I should've accepted a moderation position when he offered me one, so there'd still be one mod left.

9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, I was just thinking I might want to be one too providing I have the time. I moderated TIZ from 2009-15 so I have experience. He should have let people who really care about the site do it for sure. You would make a good mod here. You are pretty much here every day or close to it from what I have seen.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Mrneo240 and darcagn like this.
  10. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Juuuuuuust in case, seeing there is no mentioning at all..... for the owner it might be wise to disclose what the machine DOES do when powering-on.

darcagn and Mrneo240 like this.
  11. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

i thought you have mods rights from the site supporter line in your sig. although accepting such position is not a simple thing so i can undreastand your refusal

12. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Peppy Member

Code:
    Hello, how are you? I've been looking at the thread on assemblergames that you made about my dev kit, and I want to give an answer so you can post it.

The problem is: The sega katana turns on fine, the 3 lights of operation turns on in order, I can hear the SCSI Hard Drive spinning, the same to the GD-ROM drive. The problem is that I don't get any video signal.

What I tried: 1) I set dip switches 1, 2 and 4 up, rotary switch to 0 and of course, slide switch on left in order to run the self-test mode and I connected sega katana with VGA cable to my monitor and I didn't receive any video signal. 2) I tried other video configurations of dip switches like output rgb video signal and nothing.

What sould I do? Is there a way to do a recovery via the Adaptect 2940 SCSI card? And how I reflash the system?

Thank you!
    I was just sent this from the person on Reddit

MastaG and Anthony817 like this.
  13. iriez

iriez Member

I would just like to state that I picked up a katana from pitsunami with this same exact issue. I was hoping to try a reflow on it, but the system is much more complicated than I thought and I really don't want to risk a "general" reflow for what *might* be a dry solder joint.

I've tested the system with various dip switch configs, such as vga out or test mode, neither output video for me.

I've reached out to the redditor, he gave his discord on that thread as well. Maybe his is as simple as hooking it up to a win98 vm and switching it from emulator mode.

Anthony817 likes this.
  14. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

Looks like the Katana is configured in CPU Mode. Click here to know how to switch in OS Mode from CodeScape Debugger.

By the way, is the Katana visible through the Adaptec SCSI card? Two SCSI devices should be visible when starting up the computer, GD-M (HDD) and GD-DA (the Katana itself). The user should see a removable drive in the Windows Explorer when the Katana is powered on. If not, may be the HDD is dead, to debug that, look up to the Adaptec log shown when starting up the computer.

Also, the Katana should be powered on before the computer, so the boot sequence is:
    1. Starting up the Katana,
    2. Waiting for 15 sec,
    3. Starting up the computer
    The Quick Start guide included in the official SDK (like the R11b or R10) contains valuable information on the Katana setup, maybe you'll find what's wrong here?

Good luck :)

Anthony817 and darcagn like this.
  15. Ioncannon

Ioncannon Active Member

I got PMed by him on Reddit, already told him to switch to OS mode. Don't think he's done it yet.

SiZiOUS and Anthony817 like this.