[NOOB GUIDE] TurboED 2.X + Doujindance-modded PC Engine DUO-R

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by strider1911, Dec 23, 2015.

1. strider1911

strider1911 Member

Many people Including me had trouble getting Turbo Everdrive 2.X to work with those console.
    If you don't know, Doujindance is an eBay seller that specializes in PC Engine Duo-R consoles that he mods with RGB and Region switch (lately I've also seen Component versions).

Disclaimer:
    - This was made possible thanks to users goombakid and L-Digital, who discovered this method in the first place (as far as I know).
    - I take no responsibility for damages, I only describe a method that worked for me - try it at your own risk.
    - This was only tested with TED v2.1 and v2.3, it should work with all 2.X versions, but I can't be 100% sure.

(additional info, you can skip it if you just want the fix done)
    If you got one of these consoles you won't be able to get Turbo Everdrive 2.X to work with it, the reason for this, if I understand correctly, is that the Everdrive consumes more power than a traditional card. Luckily, it turns out that fixing this is easier than originally thought.
    Some people recommend soldering the mod board directly to the power regulators to get more stable and less reduced 5v power. I decided to use a different method under the assumption that the chips used in this type of mod can handle voltages higher than 5v, L-Digital recommended using a power adapter that supplies no more than 7.5v. I've been using 9v. People around the web are reporting these chips working fine even at 18v. For both me and L-Digital so far it seems to be working great.
    I also found it way easier to solder the wire to the fuse holder since it is closer and much much easier to work with. If you prefer to do it without touching the fuse holder you can solder it to the IN pin of the 7805 power regulator instead. In other words, the fix used the INPUT voltage from the DC adapter to the IC board instead of the regulated 5v.

You will need:
    - Basic soldering equpment.
    - Torx 10 screwdriver like this one http://console5.com/store/torx-t10h-t10-tamper-proof-security-screwdriver.html
    - Wire cutters of some kind, scissors are enough.
    - Small piece of duct tape (for isolation).

1. Unplug the console from the power adapter and remove the screws at the back of the console using the Torx screwdriver, be careful when opening the console because there are 2 sets of wires connected to the top lid, one is on the right of the console and can be disconnected easily, and one is for the region switch, but it should be long enough for you to work without removing it.

2. Locate the wire that is connected to the card slot away from all the rest, like in this photo:

[​IMG]

There is a circle indicating the correct wire. Ignore the other circle. DO NOT CUT THE WIRE IN THE INDICATED POSITION, KEEP READING.

We are going to split that wire using the cutter, it doesn't really matter where you cut it as long as you can get enough wire to reconnect it someplace else, I recommend splitting it in the middle so you will have roughly 10cm (4 inches) on each side.

3. Remove the fuse with some tool, the screwdriver should be able to easily push one of the sides from under it. The reason for this is to avoid damaging the fuse with the solder iron.

4. Take the side of the wire that is connected to the mod board, the board should be taped above the card slot. Make sure you get this right as picking the wrong side may fry your console. Strip the edge of the wire (about 1-2mm) and tin it with some solder.

5. Add some solder to the fuse holder as well, you should pick the side that is further away from the DC plug connector so that in case of a power surge the fuse will protect the mod board. Make sure only to add solder from the outside of the fuse clamp so that you can easily re-insert the fuse after you are done.

6. Solder the wire you stripped directly to the fuse holder, if you do everything right it should look like this:

[​IMG]

7. Re-insert the fuse.

9. I recommend you cover the tip of the other side of the exposed wire with some tape or even hot glue if you can, just to make sure it won't short out on one of the components. After doing this, mine looks like this:

[​IMG]

10. Close the console up, you are done!

Enjoy!

2. narshe

narshe Newly Registered

I recently got a PCE from doujindance and he's now applying this change in the mod so it'll work with the TurboED. The TuboED works fine, but there is a bar about an inch tall (on 20" crt) that constantly scrolls upward on the screen. It overlaps so at times there are 2 of them on the screen. This still happens even when the power is off on the console.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this? I'm guessing it has to do with rerouting that power line since it's happening when the power is off too. It could also be I'm the only one experiencing this issue.

3. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Try a different power supply. Some cheap aftermarket PSU are very noisy.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The mess of wiring and the perfboard probably doesnt help.

If hes doing these "professionally" then I would expect better work.

skyway1985 likes this.
  5. narshe

narshe Newly Registered

That was it! I tried with a GameGear PSU and all the interference is gone. Thanks a lot!