[Nokia N-Gage / QD] NotForSale MMCs Complete Thread: Alpha, Beta, Gold, Dev, P/Review, Proto.

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by DirkDagger, May 24, 2019.

1. DirkDagger

DirkDagger Robust Member

Finally decided to make one complete thread abt N-Gage/QD NFS/NFR games. Never saw any more or less complete pics of that type of N-Gage builds. Collect retail NGE games quite cool too, for sure, but there are mostly nothing special - just find some cash and go to eBay (or not "some", if we talk abt WH40K/Atari2/A2 /MHP/SegaRally... :D). Here I will upload my complete NGE NFR sets, to other people who also collect this system know what still can be digged for it. Last my complete pics was done in 2010 and older, and they still walking in the web, but they are already outdated for sure. Also will be very nice if someone who also have that type of NGE MMCs will also upload here his/her own photo sets - in the thread, or in my PM if don't want to show MMCs serials publicly (yes, each NFR MMC was linked to specific person), especially if it containcs any MMCs that I still not found. I collect NGE since 2003/4 and still very deep in it. Sadly not to many same NGE NFR collectors nowdays due the rarity/cost of items. So, that will be very cool if also will be founded someone who also digg NGE same/harder than I. Here's the pics. I think they are quite exclusice, cause I never saw same shots, where will be most NGE NFRs in Alphabet order, but If anyone need them to use in any Media - like FB/YouTube/WiKi feel free to take them, just save the line with my nickname in the bottom and link to this thread. I deliberately did not put any complicated watermarks, because I do not see much point in this. As always, feel free to contact me with any NGE questions/offers via PM. I still enjoy by collecting N-Gage since more than 15 years, and will be very pleasure to talk abt all NGE related not mainstream/retail games/builds. :)

P.S. New shots will be added as soon as they will be done. Also, will add any extras if will got something new.

G1.5 Builds = ALPHA:
    Red stripe. This stuff much rare than Beta/Gold, due it was even more limited in distribution - mostly only inside Nokia. For example Beta/Gold (RC) builds also gone to Press for reviews.

Nokia_N-Gage_Alpha_MMC_Set-eskMaemo.jpg

G2.0 Builds = BETA:
    Orange stripe. Rare stuff, same to Alphas - mostly used inside Nokia.
    But some builds also gone to Press for reviews or GDC/E3 Kiosks as playable demos.

Nokia_N-Gage_Beta_MMC_Set-eskMaemo.jpg

PROMO:
    White stripe, already with colored front (also some exceptions - for example Green FiFA 2005 with no colored label). This stuff not so rare as Alpha/Beta builds, cause it's mostly was Pre/Retail builds for kiosks in gameshops, but some of them are still not often seen on sale, so they cost quite high too. Also here's near all Prototype-Promo MMCs. It's Promo builds of 1st wave NGE games - launch titles, and they all are Betas, with totally different design then their retail builds.

Nokia_N-Gage_Promo_MMC_Set-eskMaemo.jpg

Conte Zero and ItsMeMario like this.
  2. DirkDagger

DirkDagger Robust Member

All Existed Media Preview / Review / Gold Master Preview Kits.
    Media Preview / Review Kit = Work in Progress Orange Beta Build (G2.0) + MiniDVD with media abt the game.
    Gold Master Review Kit = Already RC/PreRetail Gold Build (G3.0) + MiniDVD with media abt the game.
    All that was intended for Press/Media (Paper - magazines, Digital - various game oriented sites).

Front:
    Nokia_N-Gage_Media_PReView_&_Gold_Master_ReView_Kit_Set_Front-eskMaemo.jpg
    Back:
    Nokia_N-Gage_Media_PReView_&_Gold_Master_ReView_Kit_Set_Back-eskMaemo.jpg

Also here is two cancelled games from Sega:
    - Alien Front with original Display Cover: Cancelled on G2.0 Beta Stage. Very low quantity of MMCs exist. –°ount goes on single units. Same to VirtuaCop that also can be found on my Beta photo above.
    - Sega Rally: Cancelled already as full retail box. Some boxes was sold in AU (OFLC) region, but most of the cartridges were recalled and destroyed. Just few hundreds alive, as I know. Maybe less, nowdays, especiall if talk abt sealed ones.

Next time (on next week I think), will made and upload G2.5 / G3.0 = RC/PreView Gold photo set and Dev MMCs. Further will see. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    pool7, Conte Zero, good and 2 others like this.
  3. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Impressive collection. The N-Gage was very interesting in it's time, lots of big name games were released for it so it's failure wasn't for lack of trying.

4. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

So what's your favourite game for it? Is Sega Rally any good?

5. DirkDagger

DirkDagger Robust Member

Yes. NGE bringed good collection of serious titles that still plays cool even nowdays:
    Pathway To Glory, Rifts, Roots, TEST: ShadowKey, Mile High Pinball, Ashen, etc... :)

As for SegaRally, imho, not the best title. Especially because there is standalone original CMR 2005,
    so SR not impress in compare. It's mostly close to Synergenix RallyProContest .sis game. Not the N-Gage level.
    Thats why it was finally cancelled, as I know. Nokia decided not to fill official set of NGE library, with same sort of low ports.

6. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

Thanks for sharing ! :'D

I only have the "Sims Bustin Out" NFR.

I didnt even know there are "red" ones :'D

I guess you wont find these on ebay...

7. DirkDagger

DirkDagger Robust Member

Sadly on eBay and other auctions mostly sells retail games. Sometimes some Golds / Promo builds.
    99.9% Alpha / Beta builds were bought / exchanged got as a gift from ex'devs / same collectors as I.
    These NFR MMC's officially all must be destroyed, as usual big media companies do with all NFS/R items.
    So, that's already quite big luck that this internal stuff exist at least as these MMC.Maybe some MMCs,
    that I photographed above, already exist only as singles +-. So, hoped here will came someone who digg NGE deep too. :D
    But I think this info and pics will be usefull for usual NGE collectors too, cause not many knows for example that
    Payload / Snakes also exist on physical media, not only as digital releases. :)

[P.S!]: Forgot to add. I dumped (.iso/.mdf) most part of my N-Gage P/Review Kit MiniDVDs yet in 2012/2013 (all that were unsealed), so all who cares can get and check 'em here for free: https://mega.nz/#F!m5FlQaLJ!_ibARdckbG1WN7Wp082OXg!T8F2zQrD

If someone also have any NFR digital media related to NGE, also don't hesitate to share it here. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    pool7 likes this.
  8. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

That's quite the collection!

I have a G2.0 card for TES: Shadowkey. Looking at the build number the same build as yours.

9. DirkDagger

DirkDagger Robust Member

Yes, speedyink. As I remember U had my spare MMC. I was forced to sell some my TEST/WH40K Beta doubles to buy
    some another NGE Alpha / Gold Press Kits photographed above, so we have same builds, yep. Just different serials on our MMCs.
    Also, that TEST Beta was builded 28/09/2004. Test GOLD/Retail came from 26/10/2004. So, the Beta is quite late,
    but still a month prior to it's Gold Master MMC card was done. I'm also still looking for TEST Red Alpha G1.5 MMC,
    there must be much more differences, cause it must be quite early.

10. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

That right! I totally forgot actually, I remember that being a funny coincidence since I didn't realize I purchased off an AG member at the time.