No audio on my Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by ollidab, May 4, 2014.

1. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

I recently bought a dreamcast from ebay and it works great but for some reason there is no audio. I already checked and the cable isn't the problem. Anybody got suggestions to what my problem may be?

2. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

I tried, resoldering the av connector and that didn't help, I still have video but no audio. I also inspected the capacitors and none of them seem to be bad.

3. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

(this world is SMALL)
    found a link with something similar to your issue, but the user was a LOT more clear about that!
    the last response on the linked thread is a WELL established member of these boards.. :cocksure: ^^ whether it helps, is anybody's guess? (and i've never had a cast shit out on me that way before, so i can't help from a personal experience POV!)
    all the best!
    [edit]
    smashed keyboard, getting touchpad instead!

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  4. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

I had already seen that thread. The users sound problem wasn't fixed or identified.

Anyhow, sound miraculously came back. I was able to play MVSC2 for a few hours with friends but next time I turned on my console I didn't have sound again.

5. amiga1200

if you're any good with electronics, check circuit pathways with a multi-meter.
    you could reheat the solder points on the audio controller? (ensure no dry fractures in the solder joints)
    sorry, tapped-out of ideas, others can take the baton.... :(

6. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

Will check for continuity with a multimeter and cold solder joints just in case. Thanks amiga, any suggestion is a good suggestion :D

7. amiga1200

all the best on recoveries!
    if you succeed, PLEASE can you document the steps on the repairs?
    as this subject never really got answered (or solution found outside) it would prove useful to anybody running into that situation! :friendly_wink:

8. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

Thanks, I don't think I'll be able to check this out until the end of the week. I just wish I could grab a broken dreamcast for parts, sadly they aren't that common where I'm from :(

9. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

The Dreamcast uses a standard PCM1725U DAC. This chip is located towards the back of the motherboard, near the back vent, surrounded by capacitors on 3 sides. Pins 6 and 9 of that chip are left and right audio out respectively. Check to see if those two pins are outputting audio. If they are, then you know the audio is being generated properly and somehow isn't getting to the AV connector. If they are not, then either that chip is dead or the problem lies before analog audio is even generated.

10. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

I connected audio cables straight to the DAC and got audio but then I tried the AV cable and also got audio... I did re-seat the DAC so I'm hoping it was just a bad soldering job there and not that the dreamcast started working again for no reason. Anyhow, I'll retest the audio at least 3 more times randomly in a few hours. Thanks for the support amiga and darcagn!

11. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

That's great news! I hope reseating the DAC took care of it!

12. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

Thanks, a bad solder job in the DAC was definitely the problem. Have turned on the console about 15 times at random intervals since and always had audio. All of you are lifesavers!

13. amiga1200

:cocksure: been accused of stealing them, never saved! LOL!
    ignore...
    anytime! happy to know alls well!
    have fun! :friendly_wink:
    [edit]
    typo

Last edited: May 13, 2014