Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Tchoin, Jan 13, 2017.

1. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

It would be bad for everyone if Microsoft "pulled the plug" on the Xbox. Competition in the market is important. It helps the consumer.

2. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

I don't understand why people compare the Switch to the PS4 and Xbone!? It's a handheld first, a home console second. I have a PS4/Vita/PSTV and the idea of having all of them in one console seems pretty great to me. It will be the ultimate handheld. How many time I wished to play multiplayer on my Vita? The Switch does everything I wished for my next handheld. I have Android and iOS phones and tablets, but I don't like gaming on them. I prefer the DS over a tablet!

Will buy for sure. If I get free games like PSN+ and Xbox Gold, I will take the subscription. If it's just old SNES and NES, I will probably pass.

3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I certainly don't WANT to be so negative towards XBOX either, but things have not been good for them lately. The Original is my 3rd Favorite Console ever and before Scalebound was canceled
    I was considering picking an XBONE up.

For a handheld, it's pretty damned powerful from what I've heard. The games look great too. People saying OH they need more games, forget that TGS and E3 are right around the corner.
    The other thing nobody is talking about, the Shmup Potential for this thing. You have an Automatic Tate mode with the screen.

Oh and the other thing that will ensure the Swtich will eventually be a huge hit. A POKEMON GAME IS INEVITABLE.

4. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Good news: it doesn't suck!

The joycons feel good in your hands and the size is not a problem. I would consider my hands fairly average sized, maybe on the large side, and I had no problems with the joycon grip or the joycons held sideways.

The overall device is much smaller than I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. I think the screen is the perfect size.

I quickly realised that the lines were really fucking long for everything outside of the "soft maker" section (3rd party stuff), so I stayed over there and didn't bother with Splatoon 2 or Zelda (Splatoon 2 had a 2 hour line, Zelda was around 3). It was the same story with Arms and the "Switch experience" sections (1 2 Switch and all the gimmicky shit). Mario Kart 8 was there too but it's just a port with some added extras, so I filmed a little bit of gameplay and fucked off back to the 3rd party section.

I got to play Super Bomberman R and Ultra Street Fighter II in both tabletop mode and TV mode (tabletop mode was where the switch was propped up by its stand on a table, and you used a single joycon held sideways. TV mode is where the switch is docked). I'm happy to report that the sideways joycon felt pretty good, even with SF2! The stick was pretty nice, better build quality than the Wii U pro and gamepad sticks. The Switch pro controller and joycon grip were similarly nice, all of them felt much better than I was expecting.

Unfortunately Super Bomberman R only supports up to 8 players from what I can tell (it has some info in the little booklet I was given at the door). Sorry @MonkeyBoyJoey :oops: I played 2 player at first in tabletop mode, then 4 player in TV mode.

One thing to note though: Super Bomberman R was definitely not running at 60fps, I don't even think it was breaking 29fps. It felt a bit sluggish and slow and movement was difficult due to what I'm assuming was input lag... Kind of disappointing, I hope they sort it out and get it running better before launch. Regardless I'm going to buy it anyway because Bomberman is always a fun time, and this game was no exception.

Ultra Street Fighter II was absolutely perfect and ran beautifully. It has a rather interesting aesthetic, it almost looked as though the backgrounds were 3D but the sprites were 2D (that might have even been the case, I couldn't quite tell). I got a few matches in with Ryu and Ken, and with Ken I managed to grab my opponent out of the air (I did it by accident, it was awesome). Don't know if that's a new thing or not because I pretty much only play the arcade and SNES versions of SSF2, I haven't played the anniversary one.

I've got some photos and videos that I'll be editing and putting up at some point in the next few weeks. I'm in the middle of moving countries and don't quite have enough time right now.

kennypecheur, Tchoin, sa1 and 3 others like this.
  5. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

One day a Bomberman game will beat the Saturn 10 player
    Just not today :|

jp., Tchoin and DeChief like this.
  6. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

You are right, a lot of people see their own view as a worldwild view shared with everyone. Sadly, companies can be severely affected by all these "gamers" comments (falling financial markets,....)

As I always says, if you don't like a system, just don't buy.

Anyway, I wonder what color anyone who pre-ordered the unit has choose. I took the blue and Red one, as it reminds me the Teleroboxer Nintendo Toy.

Edit : I have just realised something. For people who compare it to the PS4 graphics, don't forget that it is a Handled ! Even if it is a bit better than the Wii U in terms of graphics, it will be awesome to have such graphics on a handheld system !

storm132 likes this.
  7. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Thanks for reporting in. Here's hoping any sluggishness in the Bomberman game is just due to it not yet being optimized for the system.

DeChief likes this.
  8. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

[sarcasm]Not to worry, they still have six weeks to do so. Getting from sub-30 to 60 should be easy.[/sarcasm]
    ...and that's true only if you allow for a day one patch, because the carts should be already be getting manufactured right now, or in 1-2 weeks at the very latest.

Btw, I feel like I've missed the point about the "only 8 players" bit. Why's that a letdown? Did any BM title save for Saturn Bomberman (well, and Hi-Ten if you'll count custom setups) allow for more than eight? (edit: Yes there is, Atomic Bomberman (10). If you haven't played this one yet - don't bother.)

...aaand I also just now realized that USF2 multiplayer on a single console would probably have to be played with the analog sticks. Not sure how I feel about that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  9. Olschoolgamer

Olschoolgamer Spirited Member

Although we are probably a ways away from doing such, I think one of the most exciting things about the switch will be when we reach the point of hacking and modding it. All of the emulators we can run off of it. While there are plenty of other options as gamers to do so, this will undoubtedly be the best option once we reach that point. It makes me wonder how powerful of consoles it will be able to run emulators for once we reach that point. Every console from the original Xbox and before? I think that's a reasonable expectation. Since it's been announced it can take 2TB SD cards, we would then have PLENTY of room for games. Hopefully when we reach that point 2TB SD cards will be available and will have come down in price, because a few of them will be needed for those looking to fit entire libraries. Of course if you simply pick your favorite titles from each system 2TB should be plenty sufficient I would think.

10. Krayzar

Krayzar 75% Weasels by Volume

I don't understand why people compare this to the PS4 or XBox.

This is clearly a mobile device first.

It just so happens that you can hook it up to a TV. They keep stressing it's portability. They've mentioned the possibility of extended battery hookups. They keep displaying the thing in all sorts of locales, and then as an after thought, they show it plugging into the dock.

So yeah, does anyone HONESTLY think they're primarily targeting the home console market?

I view this as them admitting defeat in the console market, but at the same time realizing they're the only game in town when it comes to mobile. And on shear power alone, this will be the most capable handheld console ever produced. If they can solve battery life somehow, I don't think there's a question. It'll eventually dominate the space.

11. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Heretic!
    SATURN BOMBERMAN ROCKS FOREVER!
    THERE'S A METALLIC GODZILLA FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Jokes aside, I really don't knwo why we don't have an HD 10+ players online bomberman yet ...

jp. and DeChief like this.
  12. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

You need to remember zelda was made for Wii U.

The basically threw all wii u owners under the bus, stopped the releases and began a long port to switch. All the games could have been out for wii u more than a year ago, but they stopped and ported it instead.

Wii u owners get token releases (after all they sold the zelda wii u, they have to come through) and the switch gets games funded by wii u owners and their now dead hardware.

I wouldn't buy anything nintendo until this stops. They fucked over wii u owners to give switch a killer app.

HEX1GON, D_Ban, Digmac and 1 other person like this.
  13. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I don't think this is the first time that's happened.
    Dinosaur Planet/Starfox Adventures
    Kameo
    The Last Gaurdian
    Games get bumped to next gen consoles quite a bit. Hell, Nintendo did this exact thing with another Zelda game in 2006. Why not have it released on both consoles? I don't think this is a screwing over of Wii U owners, Wii U got a few high profile franchise games in it's life cycle. This seems like them trying to get a high profile game to more owners. If they decide not to release it on the Wii U at all then I could see your point.
    Also, by this logic, Nintendo should have stuck with the Virtual Boy for longer as well, releasing the promised games (And you know what, I would have liked that!). Unfortunately, video games are a business :(

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Krayzar likes this.
  14. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

If anything, they should be comparing it to the Vita, and in doing that the Switch is a very clear winner. :p

It felt a lot better than SFV does with analog sticks, and the pro controller's d-pad ain't half bad. It's not a big issue in my opinion.

Krayzar likes this.
  15. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

That's all modern gaming. Back peddling and fucking customers.

16. Krayzar

Krayzar 75% Weasels by Volume

It's only like this because we all tolerate it. We're the complacent ones. We enable them to do this because of some misguided sense of loyalty or the false belief that we can't change it or the equally false belief that we're not a part of the problem. The reality is that companies do this because it STILL sells for them - sells like hot cakes.

At least Nintendo isn't making the new Zelda a switch exclusive. From a business standpoint it'd probably make more sense for them to have it exclusive to the switch.

17. rso

I would be very surprised if the Switch version didn't turn out to have some unique features. Like Twilight Princess having direct sword control (well, at least somewhat - remember, no motion plus back then) and bow aiming on the Wii. Sure, you can play on the Wii U, just not with all the bells and whistles. (Whelp, I still had loads of fun with TP on the GC.)

18. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

What I'm hoping for is for the Switch port of Skyrim to have some Zelda items added. What's the point of porting the game if you're not gonna Nintendo it up a bit?

19. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

[​IMG]

DeChief and AUSTIN PEYTON like this.
  20. rso

[​IMG]
    I used to be a plumber like you, until I took a bullet bill to the knee.
    That doesn't sound very lore friendly to me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    DeChief and AUSTIN PEYTON like this.