Nintendo Switch #happening

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by M. Bison, Oct 19, 2016.

1. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

Considering they merged the 3DS unit and the WiiU unit into one, I doubt they skimped on the software development. They need a feature like this to actually make sales in this current portable gaming world that has emerged through mobile and tablet gaming. And it's a feature you don't even need to use if you don't want to! Leave it docked, and it'll be a home console. I personally won't get much use of the portable side of it, but it sure is nice to have in case I do want to use it. Plus, the design opens the console up to various other possible attachments, which is great.

2. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

The Switch seems like an asweome device. My only concern is battery life.

The Wii U controller with a screen lasts like 4 hours.
    The pro controller in the other hand surpasses all the other controllers I have, including the SixAxis for the PS3.

3. AtomizerZero

There's batteries in the joy-con controllers too, so hopefully, they'll use some sense and make the switch device borrow the charge from those. They could easily obtain another couple hours from that.

4. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

you're right, The Pro Controller for WiiU is the on tha last the longer among my whole collection :)

5. redsox24

redsox24 Rising Member

This. This is what bothers me. Do you want to be a good portable console or a good static one? You cannot be both. Although possible it is insanely improbable. They could design this console now thinking 10 years ahead. They can come up with all the attachments they want. However if the initial console does not sell well there will be no money or further investment on it. Which is sad.

6. AtomizerZero

I can only speculate but, the response for this console so far has been highly positive.. Even more so than I first expected. I doubt this console won't sell well. It might have a slow start like the 3DS did, but I think it'll pick up and be Nintendo's next successful console. I might be dreaming, but this is what I hope. Nintendo just needs to advertise it right, and show off the games.

7. redsox24

redsox24 Rising Member

I really really hope you are right. The glory days of Nintendo owning the market have been long gone for a while now. It just seems so silly to me. With all of their own titles they can make games that will be hugely successful with little third party support. How can Nintendo not be a hit?

8. joe19

joe19 Rapidly Rising Member

Did anybody else get deja-vu from the Wii U reveal trailer? I remember watching that one and getting frustrated because it was literally 3 or 4 minutes of "Look! The controller has a screen!". It made you wonder whether you were watching an ad for a console or a controller.

Likewise, the Switch trailer was just 4 minutes of "Look! It's portable!". It makes it seem more like a portable that comes with a dock than a home console.

9. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Looks cool.

The announce feels a lot more like the Wii reveal in 2006.
    I don't think anybody was ever excited about the Wii U, but this feels different.

Super excited that the thumb sticks are back to their proper place. Wii U was so uncomfortable with both sticks being above the buttons.

Weird that people are complaining about a frame rate drop when it goes into portable mode. I'm guessing all the footage was prerendered and should be consistent.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

BITD, Nintendo only had to really deal with Sega, then Sony, then Microsoft. This is part of what forced their 'retreat' into their niche of motion control/casual gaming/weird concepts. With the release of the Wii and it's killer launch title, Wii Sports, they had found somewhere in the increasingly more populated marketplace that they could flourish. Now with the rise of mobile phone gaming, another one of their core markets (casual gaming) has been eroded.

Nintendo seem to have done well in the handheld market before, what with all the different variations of the Gameboy and DS platforms. This was the only direction they really could have gone, unless they wanted to go tits out on VR stuff, but again, you've got some very big players in that market.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen them wipe the dirty memory of the Virtual Boy away with a kickass VR system with some innovative games, but alas. Really, all they have going for them nowadays is the few system exclusive franchises they have, which is a real shame.

The problem I have with this is that they are trying to have the best of both worlds (console/handheld) and it's simply not possible. Choose two, great graphics, great battery life, portability, you can't have all three at once.

11. Syclopse

Syclopse .

The dock is for charging & TV out only, so it's 100% power when undocked.

12. AtomizerZero

Apparently, this isn't the only thing it does. It's possible it either overclocks the system or the dock has some actual hardware inside it for better performance.

13. rso

rso °

...or the console simply detects when a charger/PSU is connected and doesn't run everything on max while it's on batteries. You know, like laptops and phones.

Syclopse likes this.
  14. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

Can we all agree that at least the name doesn't suck?

15. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

With the exception of them not making it clear that the WiiU was NOT a Wii peripheral, I'm certain some people saw similarities

I disagree because of marketing concerns.
    As for joke sides though we can see people are making the switch, to the Switch.

AUSTIN PEYTON likes this.
  16. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

well im buying it.

17. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

I'm still like
    [​IMG]

Once again Nintendo decided it was more important to show the controller as the main feature than actually showing real games and what to expect by launch. Holding the announcement for so long and only releasing that video was weird, specially when the console / portable is supposed to be in stores in 5 months time.

As for the system itself, i worry about those sliding mechanisms breaking. The controller ones and the base itself. Also, three batteries (1 for each side of controller) and for the system itself. What's the battery life of each? Can the controllers be recharged without the screen / system and it's base?

And the cartridges / game cards are cool, but don't expect big size games for the system. For example, the latest Call of Duty is 90GB without a day 1 patch, 130GB with the Modern Warfare remake. Doom had a 20GB update for mega textures and new features. If Nintendo wants third party support they'll need to have a big internal flash memory for updates and patches. And a SD card slot for expansion.

18. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Hasn't that been NIntendo's selling point for the last decade been, the unique control schemes? They're not going to have the best/latest games, but the way you play them is going to make up for that.

Look at the Wii U launch video. Showed the system playing games, yet was one of the most boring announce videos I've seen.

19. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

Sonic Mania possible Switch release?
    hopefully...

20. M. Bison

M. Bison I'll see you all at 3:15!

I didn't see that in its trailer, though it could release down the line. (Sonic 2017's trailer DID have "NX" listed as a system for it, if you're wondering.)