Nintendo Switch #happening

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by M. Bison, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Definitely pleased with what I saw today. Want to know a ton more info, of course, but the idea of taking the Nintendo console experience with you on the go is really appealing to me.

2. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

Looking forward to this and the inevitable price drop on Wii U stuff now that it's going out of style

3. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

I'm not really sure about the 'you can take your gaming on the go' thing. When I'm sat on my fat lazy ass in a chair, I want to have amazing graphics, a nice controller and games with depth. When I'm out and about, staring at a smaller screen, graphics are less important (plus, battery life is important), I don't necessarily want to play a game that requires a good solid chunk of my time to get into if I'm just waiting for a bus. I just don't see the synergy between a gaming console and a handheld.

I guess it sets it apart, but really, people are going to view this as a posh handheld, rather than a gaming console.

Taucias likes this.
  4. Eviltaco64

What are the multimedia capabilities looking like?

1080p all-digital streaming?

5. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

It's not streaming. The handheld is the console. It's all powered from the "screen" part.

6. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

It's basically an Nvidia Shield, which failed at retail and is now clearance.
    [​IMG]

It's going to look stupid as hell in a protective case.

[​IMG]

I don't see it succeeding at all.

Almost the same price as "pro" versions of xbox and ps4.
    Low PPI screen.

Crack the screen and you need an entire new console.

Good stuff:

4k video chip (video not games)

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

This looks absolutely rubbish.

So it's mobile tech in a home console, but you snap shit onto it? Nintendo clearly only want to bother with mobile market.

[​IMG]

8. Eviltaco64

Oh that's not what I meant. I'm talking about the console's multimedia capabilities. It was never exactly a strong suit for Nintendo, but I've heard this is technically capable of 4K video playback.

9. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

It seems like an odd choice to me. Not having touchscreen is a backwards step compared to the last 3 handhelds - I assume that it will have touch because it would affect the opportunities to resell old games, but strange that it was not shown.

I would be worried about how fragile it is for kids to use it and it won't fit in a pocket, so portability and convenience is a potential issue. Also by not being an Android tablet it will limit who carries it around unless they include apps for Email, Facebook etc.

Promoting with Skyrim is laughable. An old news 2011 game? The graphics are going to be an issue on High Def TV, especially as we are mid-way through the current generation of games and moving to 4K gaming. I assume this thing will be WiiU level performance. That also means we won't see many cross platform support like with WiiU, which may mean the thing suffers from a small library.

Also no chance for VR if it is portable.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Their last console probably. Transition to software devs soon after.

11. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

The durability won't matter because in two years everyone will jump ship for the Switch Lite, two more years the Switch-i, two more years the Switch-iXL and finally they sell you two with a large headband, strange goggles that have oscillating mirrors all mounted to a neck brace and call it........Virtual Switch!

kennypecheur and DS2 like this.
  12. DS2

DS2 N64 Maniac

I love the idea of a Virtual Switch, but there will be a "New 3DSwicht XL" before :D

DeChief and kennypecheur like this.
  13. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Lets see what the machine is capable of before making any prophecy. Third party developper support will be the key for the success of this system, in my opinion. About the durability of the mechanical parts of the Switch, I am also a bit sceptic about it, as the plastics looks quite cheap for me. But by looking at the money they have spent on R&D, I suppose that they have designed something pretty strong.

Also, I totally see Nintendo doing some specific Joy-con controller related to specific games. I just hope that there will not be too much accessories, even if an accessory with a build-in video projector (as seen on some later patents) could be something pretty good.

Regarding patents, some late patent from Nintendo, but also from NERD (Nintendo European Research and Development) are about stereoscopic display. I wonder if this Switch will have some sterescopic functions (which is pretty useless in my opinion).

One last thing, does anyone saw a "share" button on the controller ?

14. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Only if it fails miserably but who would they develop for? XBOX is dead in Japan and Nintendo would have to do a whole lot of apologizing to Sony.....

AUSTIN PEYTON likes this.
  15. rso

rso °

I assume that's for the Shield? Or have the Switch's price and specs been announced somewhere?

Fwiw, I think Nintendo's marketing photos make he Switch screen look pretty good, but then again, they're marketing...

kennypecheur likes this.
  16. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Hope that the marketing guys aren't the same as the Wii U ones !

BLUamnEsiac and DS2 like this.
  17. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

So who here thinks this will replace the WiiU

Go on, show of hands.

AUSTIN PEYTON and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  18. redsox24

redsox24 Rising Member

Nintendo will have me again when they stop this niche crap and go back to the basics. Controller with a dpad and buttons. I don't want a screen on my controller. This novelty crap needs to stop. They have enough original titles that they do not need a niche to sell their product. Anything Mario,Samus,Yoshi,Luigi and Zelda will be insta hits. How about something Kirby? If you provide the games people will buy the system.

Hell, years and years ago I went to a friends house and played Modern Warfare. The next day I went out and bought a PS3. The game turned out to be one of the best fps of all time. I will be buying the new COD just because of the Modern Warfare remastered.

19. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

Have you not seen the pro controller? It looks like a xbox one pad for god's sake. Go rewatch the trailer and see that you don't even need to use the portability of the console. It becomes a home console when docked. Your argument is invalid.

M. Bison likes this.
  20. redsox24

redsox24 Rising Member

It's not invalid. Why do they even need a console that has such a feature? Is it nice? at first glance yes. However I think less time should be spent on development on stuff like that and spend that money on game development and hardware/software improvements.