Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Censored.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood SNES and 64DD Savior

Do you think the disc the owner has (if it really is a Super Disc or something) might be Forteza? You said years ago that it was in a playable state.

And thanks for coming back! :D

3. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Um, wasn't the machine unveiled at CES 1991 and the following day Nintendo announced their partnership with Philips instead?

The SuperCD was a format that put Nintendo in a weak position when it came to licensing - something they decided they didn't want in the end. I don't see why you would assume this hardware was made after that venture was called off.

As for the internals, I'm guessing it is a Super Famicom PCB with a CD unit retrofitted. Especially so since the owner revealed the PAL SNES/SuFami expansion port on the bottom of this hardware. Perhaps the cartridge contains the boot software required (sort of like a PC Engine requires a System Card) to load the SuperCD stuff. I also noticed that the polarity of the console is center positive, a SuFami board would be center negative which makes me think that the Super Famicom PCB has the power piggybacked from the CD unit.

Either way, I'd like some pictures of the hardware inside. Beyond that I don't really care.

Gemini likes this.
  4. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Probably not that much, but I think the kid was familiar with them, and he lives out there, and no doubt is flying back there in a couple days. There are far more experienced folks back east, but he doesn't live out here right now.

First of all, I highly doubt there's much more than a demo/diagnostic program on the cart/disc. There's no hidden playable game we've never seen. Secondly, the value of the device (if working) is not going to be soured by releasing a dump at all. My concern would be that he sells to a private collector who then stashes it away. A find like this belongs next to the Sega Neptune or Atari Cosmos in a museum.

I'm 99.9% sure it is. However, it's likely not the infamous Nintendo Playstation prototype. This is an excerpt from Leonard Herman's soon to be released Phoenix (Rise and Fall of Videogaming) ver. 4 book. You'll see that the SFC CD prototype by Sony was far less polished. The early PS1 prototypes used SNES style controllers and such.

[​IMG]

5. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

Gonna go very slightly OT here, but not much.

So, it might also be helpful to distinguish between the first SNES CD format (Super Disc) by Sony and the last SNES CD format (Nintendo Disc) by Nintendo, Sony and Philips. The last one would've used CD with a caddy in a custom case with 256 Kbit of backup RAM. This is also the format that would've been more than merely an expansion of SNES game capacity, it would've been essentially a 32-bit upgrade with the Co-Processor residing in the System Cart.

None of those things would be present in Sony's Super Disc / Play Station.

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Its simple, I've offered my help, as Im sure many have. Nothing more can be said based off the pictures and video, at that point it pure speculation that I dont want to get involved with. Im sure he knows where to find me.

7. TheTimeRanger

TheTimeRanger A Wannabe Beta/Prototype Hunter

Okay, this might be funny, but i literally discovered this site's existence due to this event.

For those who had doubts on this guy, again, i literally done a little bit of extensive research (Stalker-level) on the guy, and the guy is actually not a avid gamer, while the dad, before i read that interview, is legit-working on Advanta.

Meanwhile, is there any chances that this thing could be booted up again?

8. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

@TheTimeRanger Well, he'll need a 7.6 volt power supply, but first, he'll need some help to determine whether or not that it could safely be powered on without it breaking.

9. Brian

Brian Member

Thanks guys for the welcome back. Onto questions asked:

- VHS tape was just 5-10 minutes of gameplay of Forteza (no sound if I recall). Nothing else, it wasn't a promo tape or anything for the unit. Btw it was never captured because there wasn't PC video capture hardware at the time, and like a dummy, I forgot about it as years past. That and the prototype Sega CD "Make Your Own Music Video" from Digital Pictures featuring Martha Quinn and a different music act (this never came out...got lost in a move).

- CD-R with the unit in question: good question, no idea, all I can do is speculate like everyone else. Could be Forteza (major find if it was and I hope!); Hook; Utilities; or something else altogether.

- Leonard Hermans book update with the unit I saved, this was not a Playstation prototype (unless my friend got more info from Japan I'm not aware of). It was a Play Station development unit. It required an SNES to operate, caddy driven CD drive, separate power supply, and if I recall correctly had a parallel port where it would attach to a PC. It still baffles me, because no matter which version (Japan/U.S) SNES you put it in, the unit tipped forward. I still wonder if there's some other piece. A bit of a mystery still.

- Skyblazer - yes, I worked on that game with the developer, and heard it rumored for first Play Station launch. However, I don't recall seeing any emails, faxes, or even discussions about it being done on Play Station. I do recall that the group was hired to develop for Play Station, but Skyblazer came after Play Station was already cancelled. Funny story about that game, we got rejected by Nintendo because of a "phallic" representation in the game. Seems whenever the character jumped, when he fell, his knee shifted. Nintendo thought it looked phallic in nature and required Sony to modify his stance. Silly (and no don't have those early builds anymore).

I'm kicking myself because I could have probably found a way to end up with the machine in question in this thread. But I woulf have put it in a museum at some point given the historical nature behind it. Either way, glad it was saved from the dumpster.

10. IsometricMode

IsometricMode Rapidly Rising Member

Ultra Maddnezz likes this.
  11. NetYaroze

NetYaroze Robust Member

So, what's the price? $5000, $10000, $20000 or $100.000? :D

12. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Brian, wow welcome, and your information is highly appreciated! So cool to know which games were being worked on, and that 2 units remain at Sony Japan!

PS: Jerry Jessop corrected Len on Facebook earlier today!

13. pato

pato Resolute Member

About the ports being the same as the PSX, wasn't the SNES CD final hardware the same or close to the PSX hardware?

14. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

@NetYaroze Daniel's not going to sell the prototype anytime soon!

15. retrofixes

retrofixes Site Supporter 2014,2015

All I can say is WOW! I want to see more.

16. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

What makes you think that? You really never know, even if he said he wouldn't.
    Once again, thanks for all the information. Very interesting. I'd love to see that VHS footage.

17. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

Im not an expert but Im pretty sure it wasnt. I believe the processor was different as well as the amount of available ram. Im sure there are plenty of other differences and that the PSX was retooled after Nintendo pulled out.

pato likes this.
  18. NetYaroze

NetYaroze Robust Member

If dad need money or just the family need, I don't see reason to not sell the hardware... my point of view, chose between keep at home piece of plastic that don't give you a shit.... or receive $ *unknown* to have better life? :confused: ...Dan is not a collector.

19. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

I'm no expert either, but I also don't believe so, not at all. Just by going with information officially mentioned.

The SNES CD final hardware was meant to contain a 21 MHz 32-bit chip, but it certainly wasn't anything like the 33 MHz MIPS R3000 based CPU used in the original PlayStation. Nor would final SNES CD hardware have had the PS1's Geometry Transform Engine (GTE) that was on the same chip as the CPU, nor the PS1's separate graphics chip / GPU for drawing, texturing and shading polygons.

All combined, PSX/PS1 hardware was intended for fast 3D polygon graphics, for the time. It was new hardware Ken Kutaragi worked on. The CPU was combined with the GTE, MDEC video decoder and other bits integrated on a single chip with the help of and manufactured by LSI Logic. Not to mention 3.5 MB total RAM PS1 had (2MB system RAM, + 1MB VRAM, +0.5 MB for sound).

Now, there I go, coming off sounding like an expert, I'm not, but I have a decent memory for remembering publicly known hardware specs.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    pato likes this.
  20. Brian

Brian Member

Jerry is whom I gave the dev hardware to. And I was corrected as well that there are three more SNES units in Japan, one of which is quite different in appearance. I'll coordinate a trip to Japan over the coming months and investigate further.

svotib, jrronimo, Bobo Mcloud and 6 others like this.