Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

I wonder if nintendo or sony will say something about this finding. I hope they tell something.

lolzvid likes this.
  2. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Someone should try to contact Mr Olafsson about it and see what his take on it is.

aidotato5 likes this.
  3. Jord9622

Jord9622 Site Supporter 2014 Site Benefactor

AMAZING!!!! :) :) :) :)

4. MMMGP

MMMGP Newly Registered

New member here, joined to see the outcome of this unit.

Would it make sense to open up the unit before attempting to power it up? For all we know there could be years of bug carcasses inside ready to short out the electronics once plugged in.

5. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. Oldgamingfart

Oldgamingfart Enthusiastic Member

I doubt anything dry like bug carcasses would cause any damage. I agree that it could do with a preliminary inspection, though. I would say pretty much all the capacitors need a once-over with an ESR meter, and also the CD drive needs to be checked for things like slack loading belt(s), dried out grease on the CD drawer, laser sled etc.

7. MMMGP

MMMGP Newly Registered

8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Not 500k. And no, the NWC didn't sell for 100k either. Apple has a far bigger following than Sony/Nintendo. I stand by that there will be some museums that offer as low as $5,000 with some sort of contract. On Ebay, the bid may go high, but fees and other risks, namely fake bids, will hurt the bottom line. Even if a legit offer is made, we may never know what it sells for, which will only lead to further speculation that hurts preservation efforts. That's how we end up with a $20,000 orange Halo case that won't sell for that.

9. spacehead854

spacehead854 Newly Registered

There are eject and reset buttons on top of the console. It's safe to assume that the eject button is meant for the cartridge since the disc tray has one of its own.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

If he doesn't let Borman see it, then the store will just most likely take it from him.
    At least if Borman does see it or somehow is able to power it, then you'd bet he'd actually make a video of it.

Now you're making silly theories, unless he personally told you that everyone's theories is what lead him to go to a retro store because of us right here, that's just plain bullshit. There's various discussions on this around the internet right now.

All I hope is for something positive to come out of this, nearly all owners of prototypes just take the highest number someone yelled at them and whack it on eBay. Something that should never, ever be done.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  11. spacehead854

spacehead854 Newly Registered

The amount of pressure that dude has to be under after bringing this thing out into the light must be immense. I'd probably take it to a friend's store too. At least until I figured out what to make of these thousands of people I don't know. Just gotta give things a little time.

12. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

A store isn't going to know any better than myself, and even I would be incredibly nervous handling it despite my experience. I am 2 hours 45 minutes away. To fly across the country with a prototype is a scary proposition, especially since I know the closest person would probably be Frank and he is incredibly busy.

13. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Despite the fact that we were one of the first communities to have him aboard with this specifically in mind, I think his plate is pretty full with others. This item interests so many; I'm sure tons of communities have just as many people as we do extending aid. Although this may be a bit pessimistic, I don't see him coming here to give much time and attention. I'd love to be proved wrong. I feel like we caught him right before the attention-storm made its way. Now we're just being caught in the overzealous shuffle.

14. NintenFan

NintenFan Member

15. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

16. Brian

Brian Member

[caveat - I last posted here under user name Jet-X. Shut email addy down years ago, so reregistered after article today hence new user post. But I've been here before and even sent prototype games to Assembler)

Wanted to chime in on a few things. I worked at Sony Imagesoft in the early SNES days when Olaf was head of the company. I also saved one of the development systems for the SNES from the garbage (this one specifically, covered in a previous thread on Assembler years ago; http://playstationmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SNESCD-Proto1.jpg ). It now resides with a friend of mine who is still at Sony.

I believe this unit is real. Few notes for discussion purposes:

1. Olaf had one sitting in his office, which was in NY (and explains the find on the east coast of the subject of this thread). Now, it wasn't until years after Imagesoft was morphed into Sony Interactive Studios, moved to San Francisco from Los Angeles (and Olaf being pushed out of Sony) as well as New York being shut down that I learned Olaf had a working prototype.

2. There were two internal titles that were developed, but only about half way before canned. Those titles were "Hook" which was eventually released on SNES cartridge, and Sega CD (outside of graphics, was representative of what the SNES CD/Playstation version would have been), and "Forteza". Forteza was a rail-based space shooter with CG pre rendered FMV backgrounds. Forteza was not released on any platform.

3. I've seen people cite yellowing of plastic as suspicious. As a model collector, I have rare models never displayed but stored in their boxes that have yellowed. Yellowing of plastic is not always light or heat driven.

4. Regarding cartridges being exposed for access to the EEPROM chips, at Sony Imagesoft we never assembled them in cartridges unless going out to press or other display. Internally we used the chips on bare cartridge circuit boards (also other platforms too).

5. There are at least two more Playstation units intact, at Sony Japan.

I would love to see this unit working, and willing to connect the owner to an engineer that would get the unit working who is with Sony and has all the proper connections to restore it as necessary to working condition (and no, there is no more tooling for cases laying around). But I'm sure he's inundated with emails and requests - reach out to me if interested.

Now, if I could just get my former boss to dig up the VHS tape of Forteza, we could make this discussion more interesting :)

17. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Thanks for commenting, Brian, very interesting info!

18. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

@Brian, thanks for that information, you've made the thread very interesting again. More information is always good, and lots of us are just waiting for all this to unfold. Love to see footage of it in action though, is that what the VHS had, or was it captured footage of the Forteza?

19. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Excellent post, Brian. We appreciate it. Looking forward to whatever you're able to show us. Very happy you've re-joined the community. I'm sure there's more beyond this topic you're adept with.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  20. supersega

supersega I have 7 and a half PS1s in my room alone.

You are truly awesome, yo.