Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Omar

Omar Robust Member

Just to clarify that article and the tweets were jokes
    http://pxlbbq.com/la-snes-cd-quand-nintendo-x-sony/

"Mais peut être est-ce l’oeuvre mensongère de la talentueuse Vadu Amka X Florent Gorges qui veulent se faire de l’argent sur le dos des collectionneurs acharnés ? #jokeFace
    Stop la déconnade, et regardez cette merveille !"

Translate to:
    "But maybe it is a fake from the talented Vadu Amka X Florent Gorges who wants to make money on hardcore collecttor? #jokeFace
    Joke aside, have a look at this beauty!"

Texasbabymunch likes this.
  2. spacehead854

spacehead854 Newly Registered

3. apdapreturns

apdapreturns Newly Registered

What could the "NEXT" port be? It's not VGA (1987, but not the connector), DVI (1999), HDMI (2002), Mini Display Port, Mini-VGA, Mini-DVI.

4. Punch

Punch RIP AsssemblerGames, never forget.

Serial I/O (as in next device/peripheral), I bet.

5. Texasbabymunch

Texasbabymunch Newly Registered

An Evolution of the EXT port on the original SNES perhaps?

6. kevster

kevster Micro Machines World Champ

7. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

8. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Might be something akin to a parallel port. It's on that pdf posted before

hard to tell... remember the pre-release snes with the RCA out?

9. rob black

rob black <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Here is a video he posted

CodeAsm likes this.
  10. Oldgamingfart

Oldgamingfart Enthusiastic Member

I have a feeling that the SNES side of this thing isn't gonna power up first time. I've had SNES consoles that have been sitting for a number of years that often refuse to power up first time (black screen).

The usual trick is to leave 'em powered up for a few hours to let the capacitors reform, then press Reset or power cycle a few times. Hey presto! I just hope it isn't packed full of those dreaded Sony surface mount capacitors. You know the ones that leak everywhere? They were used extensively in things like MiniDisc players, Camcorders, VCRs, portable radios of that era. Hate 'em! ><

Texasbabymunch likes this.
  11. Pottypotsworth

Pottypotsworth Newly Registered

Could this potentially be an earlier prototype than the promotional images that appeared? Basically all the innards of a SNES (plus the magic Sony CD part), with a SNES controller that Sony went over the top putting their own branding on?

This seems to me to be certainly from the 'Sony side' of the deal, since the SNES-CD add-on that bolted into the bottom of the SNES had the small 'Sony' logo on just the CD Drive door. Do those more knowledgeable than myself know if a SNES-CD bottom bolt on device has ever been discovered? Whilst incredibly impressive, is this just 50% of the ultimate Holy Grail?

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

And now I see it's probably real again. Good to see.
    Would there be any risk in trying the cart in a SNES? I can't imagine they would have changed pinouts/voltages. It might do nothing though if there are hooks for the CD drive.
    Do you know anyone with a SNES cart dumper around you?

13. Gamesquest1

Gamesquest1 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

i would say its probably a standard proto cart, you can see that it has been used previously (at least twice, one sticker removed and the latest label placed over the one with the red borders), so most likely a re-used standard prototype board....that said "holy grail handle with care"....(unless you feel like shaking it around for a youtube video :p)

wish he would/could just get it open to finally put the real/fake debate to rest, faking the internals is way more complicated than the case, a quick shot of the board would give everyone a bit of PCB pr0n to pour over, it would mean people could verify the legitimacy, people could check for any possible faults that could potentially ruin the console (leaky caps or whatever), people could give him a better idea of what power supply to use, and it would be pretty awesome to finally see the guts of the snes CD.....plus it would be pretty safe to do, as long as he doesn't start opening it with a power drill or something

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  14. Oldgamingfart

Interestingly, the cartridge looks very similar to the lighter coloured SF Memory Cassette (flash cart). I'm guessing it has some sort of custom menu on it to control the hardware.

15. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  16. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

Erm - perhaps a sh!t-ton of YouTube Advertising revenue? lol

Seriously though, the regulars on here should know better than to start calling something fake right away, as it scares people off instantly. It's happened too many times on here, and has actually stopped people releasing any more info on extremely rare hardware and / or games.

Let's just all work on the assumption that it's real. It certainly looks real enough to me, and I would like to know more about it.

I know that the "fall out" between Sony and Nintendo from this deal apparently lead to the eventual production of the 64DD, so it's very interesting to me.

I'm wondering how many prototypes they would actually have made though. I'd guess there are only a handful of these machines on the entire planet?

Just as important as the hardware - I'm itching to find out if there's actually a CD in the drive still. That would be awesome to recover the data from.

I'd just like to add that the recommendation of plugging in a "cheap" wall-wart is probably NOT a good idea - it depends if you mean a fairly good regulated switching brick type PSU (like for the PS-One), or one of those crappy market stall old-skool unregulated wall-warts. The older linear type PSUs can often put out way too much voltage, even when under load. :eek:

Also, a few people are saying to just "plug in a SNES PSU", when most SNES consoles use AC, and the unit is clearly labelled as "7.6V DC, centre-positive" on the back panel...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...n_the_wild_unicorn_and_big_foot_expected_next

Personally, I would always give something like this a quick visual check inside before even thinking about powering it up, then do some basic resistance checks on the power rails, regulators, mobo, controller ports, power switch etc., then just hook it up to a TV and try the correct power supply on it and see if it works.

I would expect a 7.5V DC PSU of the correct polarity would also work fine (the full voltage will likely be for powering the CD drive motors and laser sled, so a slightly lower voltage likely wouldn't be a deal-breaker, and shouldn't do any harm.

Of course, as with all rare prototypes, it's still completely up to the owner what they do with them, and we can only give advice / voice our opinions as to what to do next.

Obviously, I'd personally urge them to do everything they can to preserve the machine, including getting somebody more technical to give it the once-over (and NEVER letting it out of your sight, nor selling it to the first high-ish bidder that comes along. :p )

OzOnE

17. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

It's got a 7.6v DC input so it'll have at least one or two SMPS regulators inside for 3.3v logic. Which means dried up caps. Most of the time these being dead isn't a problem, but sometimes it can mean DC spikes blowing up downstream logic.

Would be a good idea to open it up and take stock of the parts inside before going for broke.

Later PSones have 7.5v regulated DC supplies. Probably the best to use.

18. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

Gamespot has picked up the story, too:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendos-playstation-the-holy-grail-of-game-memor/1100-6428627/

19. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

20. Oldgamingfart

Yep that's the one. Even better is the one that came with the PSOne LCD Screen as that one is rated at 3A, but they're harder to get hold of separately. Only problem with this adaptor is that the PSOne's DC connector is a little bit smaller, and I have a feeling it's not going to physically fit. The connector on this thing looks more like the Super Famicom type, which is slightly larger.