Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Well if the discs as stated are cd-xa discs it won't be a big issue beside the case part.

Still i wouldn't try anything funny until the piece has been carefully inspected. Better not rushing anything with a basically 1-of-a-kind piece.

2. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

The cartridge-based SNES add-on (as per the mock-up drawing) was by Philips, not Sony.

@Dnldbld - once again, PLEASE refrain from double posting. The thread gets long enough and 5 posts in a row don't help. Multi-quote people - it's easier to read. Use the multi-quote function - simply hit reply on the first post you want to quote. That post will appear in quote tags the quick reply box. Now reply - but don't post it yet. Go up and hit reply on the second post you want to reply to. You'll notice that it appears under your text in the quick reply box. Repeat as much as you like. You can also use the edit button and do the same, if you missed a post ;)

3. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

Holy smokes! Thanks for sharing this! It's just sublime!

4. karsten

i would let both stay until we know more. Cart might have some different pinouts or god knows what.

5. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Anyone think it uses a 7805? If so it looks as if you could power it using a PSone or slim PlayStation 2 power supply.

Gah, I wanna see internals!

6. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Truly amazing! Hopefully you get the little bugger to boot ;*)

7. karsten

Who wants to bet that the 32-bit processor is a superfx1 chip?

8. Lenwë

Lenwë Member

They worked quite similar but it's not a Super FX, it's a NEC V810.
    Check this : http://www.anthrofox.org/starfox/superfx.html

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

It's trending on Facebook now :)

@Dnldbld If you end up power it up, be sure to post it here first :p

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    djemotion and kevster like this.
  10. karsten

We'll see if we get to peek inside the thing ;)

11. Oldgamingfart

Oldgamingfart Enthusiastic Member

Wow, just wow! Thanks for sharing this amazing find, Dnldbld. Hope you can get it running!

The find of the century and y'all at him for double-posting? Tsk tsk! :rolleyes:

12. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

My guess is that it's a caddy loading drive - they were still quite common in the early 90's. That way you could have a plain caddy for regular CDs and a CD cartridge that was the same size and shape, but with contacts for memory, for the pre-recorded games.

13. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Is that even English? :p

He was posting 5 times in a row. The thread is already large enough, it doesn't need to be larger. And the site rules ask people to multi-quote or edit posts. Perfectly reasonable request.

I love how trusting people are. It could be real... it could be a hoax. There are arguments for either side at this stage. Although it's a lot of effort for a hoax ;)

HEX1GON and CodeAsm like this.
  14. karsten

If it is an hoax hats off and i'll add "I'm a stupid falling for it" to my signature for one year. :D

15. shifted

shifted Robust Member

This is incredible!

I wonder if it trends enough would Sony or someone get involved to get it running/provide information on it etc??

Either way I hope you keep it safe!

16. justice99

justice99 Spirited Member

[MODERATOR NOTE - This post has been left to explain the fake-calling by a French person, which has been shown to be a hoax, and the original Tweet was deleted]

J'avoue c'est un fake ;) merci @pxlbbq j'ai été démasquée! http://pxlbbq.com/la-snes-cd-quand-nintendo-x-sony/… cc @JVCom

I admit it's a fake. Thanks pxlbbq, I got uncovered.

He may be lying also, you dont know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    CodeAsm likes this.
  17. deathday

deathday Newly Registered

Oh my God. Are you sure you mean Olaf from Nintendo and not Ólafur Jóhann Ólafsson, who was founder, president and chief executive officer of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Inc.?

18. Omar

Omar Robust Member

Dnldbld, thanks for showing up and posting this. It is amazing.
    Take the time you need. You may be overwhelmed by information and consider that on most internet forums 90% of the messages are uneducated guesses, aka plain wrong and misleading information. Take the time you need to understand who is knowledgeable and reliable (based on the clarity of their explanation and their actual track record).

As pointed out it would be a beautiful and the greatest service to the gaming community if eventually the cartridge and CD data could be dumped for preservation, and perhaps the hardware inside better documented. If you are willing and when you identify knowledgeable people some of them will be able to help you with that. For now as pointed if you can source the right power adapter and try to boot the system it'll be just super amazing. Again all up to you and take your time to do things the way you feel.

You are sitting on something beautiful and perhaps unique. Both the Super Famicom and PlayStation are special systems in the heart of people and this unit you have reflects a particular moment in time where things could have turned very, very differently for the entire game industry. It is charged with emotional and historical power.

Don't accept $$ offers sent to you privately. They are likely to be under what you could get in an auction and after this has settled. If you decide to sell it your best bet would probably be an eBay auction, but take your time to evaluate your possibilities. Selling it to reliable museums like The Museum Of Play ICHEG would perhaps also be a good idea.

Some buyers will be unwilling to release the content of the cartridge and CD data to the public as some collectors (not all) are in for the kick of feeling special owning something that is rare or a mystery to others. Or they don't have the time, much willingness or the technical skills to dump the data. Usually a combination of all that. If that happens they'll just sit on it for another 5 years and maybe sell it back. This is why, if you agree with the ethics here, I believe it would the greatest gift to the community if you put the effort to get the data preserved and safe and some hardware taken before you part it (if you part it). Because the next owner might not do that! Again this just a decision that you can make or omit to make, but I'm laying out the idea. What would be the safe thing to do is to try backuping the data anyway even if you haven't taken the decision whether to release the data or part the unit. The CD in particular might be fragile so you want to be cautious with it.

Because of the nature of the item many people will suspect it is a fake and therefore if you want to sell it will probably be in your interest to provide more details about the system, picture of it running, innards, etc. Even though what you have looks totally legit at first glance, the community had elaborate pranks played on them a few times and if someone has to shell out a many k$ it's normal they'd be cautious.

Thanks again!
    Omar / Bock

No offense but it is not reasonable. The majority of answer here are noise from regular users "wow!". We've got a totally unique occasion here, a guy who bothers creating an account here and may feel uncomfortable and overwhelmed dealing with that discovery, with the forums, with users, with the private messages/e-mails he is no doubt getting from many people. The least you can do is avoid increasing his cognitive load with forum rules. This is like if an Alien spaceship crashed in your house, and you'd be pestering them to remove their shoes when they walk on your carpet. (retro you can PM me if you feel, but please let's avoid hijacking this thread). xx

19. Omar

Omar Robust Member

He/she is using a smiley " ; ) "
    It means HE/SHE IS JOKING. French people in particular tends to use this smiley more than English people I have found.

It's to be read more like ""I admit it's a fake ;) "look at how good I am at making custom console cases" ;)"

20. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

These are very different SNES CD systems. What you're talking about is the Philips-Nintendo (and Sony?) CD expansion-upgrade, the final proposal for an SNES CD system. The cartridge was to contain a 32-Bit, 21 MHz Co-Processor and CD controller chip, The newer format was called Nintendo Disc.

[​IMG]

The OP (fantastic, amazing, incredible find btw) has the all-in one Sony Play Station (space intentional) which was meant to be a 16-Bit system, relying on stock Super Famicom/SNES hardware for processing.

The following may be the add-on only version of it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015