Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Paid 75 USD for a box containing it during a liquidation of sorts to prevent it from being canned. This is what I recall from one of the videos.

2. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

IDK man. They were probably distracted with the OJ trial like the rest of us were.

3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Umm, but Acclaim is completely dead, so dead the name was even sold. On the other hand Sony and Nintendo are still around, and could possibly still care about it.
    I'm not law expert but Acclaim seemed more of a grey area than the BIOS of this.

4. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

Do you think that just because Acclaim itself is dead, that this IP is not owned by someone else? That is an incredibly silly argument. Sony/Nintendo aren't going to give a shit about this for the same reason the owners of Acclaims former IP don't care - they aren't going to lose any money on the leaks, so there is no point lawyering up.

I just think it is hilarious that on this website, people are worried about this.

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

No idea, most the time people just act like white knights for companies for some reason or another.

M. Bison and Keiji Dragon like this.
  6. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/articles/interviews/howard_lincoln/

The tl;dr is we have some history wrong. For example:

7. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

Anything else Zoinkity?

8. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I believe it is @LuigiBlood who's made contact with Dan. He should come on here and give everyone an update.

9. LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood SNES and 64DD Savior

Well you wouldn't believe it but nocash has emulated the SuperDisc and made a homebrew for it. I guess we have something to test with once the disc drive works.

EDIT:
    Here's a picture of the Backup RAM Manager:
    [​IMG]
    It can only be accessed by pressing Select and ONLY if the CD-ROM System is detected. So that means you cannot access the data in the cartridge. I guess we need a better dumper for getting this, and since it works with some kind of filenames, it might be interesting to see.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Punch, vinyl, Keiji Dragon and 6 others like this.
  10. Auction_Sniper

Auction_Sniper Rapidly Rising Member

So now that the bios is out in the wild, what sort of possibilities does this open in terms of recreating the hardware?

Could it lead for the creation of some homebrew device that could attach a CD drive to the SNES Expansion port? and would it have any potential advantage over the other would be addon out there (MSU-1).

11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

If a lot of work is put in, I can see a lot of things happening. Assuming a way to make the CD-ROM attachment register work with the BIOS it could open doors to a ton of homebrew content.

12. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

From what I understand, the hardware setup is simple enough that it should be possible to create an implementation from scratch. Of course, any CD addon would be burdened by slow load times, making it pretty much worse than MSU-1 in every conceivable way.

13. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but annual Midwest Gaming Classic sent out an email to their mailing list last week mentioning that the prototype will be at the show this weekend. They have a presentation on it scheduled for 2PM this Sunday. Just a heads-up for anyone in the region who's interested in that.

(Unfortunately I always go on Saturday, not sure if they'll have it in the hardware museum room or if it's just going to be shown and talked about during the presentation.)

BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  14. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Thanks for the heads up on that. I wish I could go, but trips and other fun things are off the table for me for the foreseeable future. If someone could post photos or impressions about it should they go, I'd greatly appreciate it.

15. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

Hopefully they have it on display on Saturday. I don't ever bother going on Sundays because everything has been picked through at the vender hall.

16. Brandinooo

Brandinooo Member

I'm planning on going!!! I live in the Milwaukee area. The MGC Facebook page said they're gonna turn it on and stuff at the Sunday event. They always have Q&As for these things...does anyone have any requests for questions that I can ask Terry and Dan Diebold in person?! :D

17. Brandinooo

Brandinooo Member

Just got back from the MGC.
    The good news - yep - this thing exists alright! A very interesting piece of technology. I asked about the power cord during the Q&A and Terry replied that whoever they took the console to in Hong Kong got it all hooked up, but I know that question has been better answered in this thread :).
    The bad news - They couldn't get the thing to work. Looks like the thing powered on, but they couldn't get it to boot anything. They ended up playing the BIOS cart on screen with a regular SNES. Uhoh. Apparently the thing is a bit finicky. Best part - doing the good [bad] ol' blowing on the cartridge to get it to work! (Yes, even the BIOS one!). So there's that. I have more pics that I took, but here are a couple... IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1053.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    sa1 and Johnny like this.
  18. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Pretty cool meeting the Diebolds and seeing the Nintendo Playstation up close!

[​IMG]

Sadly, the machine had a little stage frieght and wouldn't boot, but they plugged the dev cart into a SNES and showed it off that way which was fun to see.

[​IMG]

The presentation was a bit rough overall. Technical issues aside, the Diebolds have pretty poor stage presence and there were two mics for three people which made for a bit of an awkward experience. Seemed like very nice people though.

One thing that the presentation made clear is that the Diebolds really don't have any special knowledge about the system or it's software. The Q&A session made it clear their understanding of the system didn't really go much deeper than any of the stuff that's public knowledge so far. It sounds like there is at least one or two developer interviews lined up, and an anecdote kept coming up about a dev that remembers playing some Mario title on the machine back in the day. Other than this, it was clear the presenters were at a loss for the majority of questions they were asked.

Nevertheless, it was great seeing the machine up close, and it was very fun hearing the history of its discovery from the owners themselves.

[​IMG]

19. Brandinooo

Brandinooo Member

Oh man! I was hiding in the back in the corner of the restaurant area.

20. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Thanks for sharing the pics.