Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

CXD1800 is a CD interface chip - it was also used in some of Sony's old proprietary interface CD-ROM drives. The NEC chip on the sub board on top is one of their 75 series MCUs, presumably mostly for running the LCD. I guess the QFP with the wire patches next to the CD logic is the mechacon CPU for the CD drive, but the number isn't readable.

For comparison, one of the chipsets used in the original PlayStation was CXD2510 (DSP) and CXD1815 (Interface).

And the other two chips are simply the SNES sound subsystem - although this is the first time I've ever seen their Sony part numbers.

2. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

ok, now we take a look what Nintendo did in 1993 SNES CD Project.....
    wtf look they clone Sony idea...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

They're probably in denial or are deep in thought. Anyways, this whole thing just made my day; I knew from the get-go that the Super Disc was real, and not only that, it's working, too!

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  4. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

He didn't actually answer the question. Instead of answering if they got an adapter or not, he only said "we did turn it on". That's it.
    Did you notice how they obviously were in a techshop the whole interview?
    Did you ever wonder why they were in a techshop? And acting like they're at home? Maybe because they met the skilled people in that techshop?
    Obviously they're not telling everything, either. They have an expo ahead of them and they're gonna sell it at some point. And you think they're gonna tell every little detail now, lol.

5. LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood SNES and 64DD Savior

This picture does not correspond the SuperDisc. SuperDisc definitely has no 32-bit RISC CPU. This is most likely the Philips model.

6. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

But the Phillips CD model was supposed to be compatible with the CD-i. How was that gonnna work?

7. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

CD-i use CISC
    in 1993 they use RISC that mean no more Philips
    if some one have MSF-1 for SFBOX II , open it will got what happen between 1991-1993 CD Project

8. mcrib

mcrib Newly Registered

i need a cd player for my windows 3.1 computer. think that would work?

9. LuigiBlood

10. MisterEnthusiast

Would it be possible for Dan to play Audio CDs on the prototype?

11. LuigiBlood

No, engadget mentioned that the audio output isn't working, and the disc drive isn't detected by the BIOS for some reason.

12. MisterEnthusiast

Ah, bummer! The SuperDisc still works after all these years of obscurity, and already, there's a couple of things wrong with it.

13. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Is that just speculation? Because someone else in this thread said they intend to give it to a museum I thought.

If they get the CD drive working and test that CDR they have, as well as dump everything they have like apparently they plan to, then I'll be content. Where it goes after that kinda doesn't matter since either way it will be locked up and not playable for anyone. Unless there's a museum that lets people pay to play an unreleased system's BIOS screen =p

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  14. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Yeah, the guy said so early on. His dad is having financial issues and needs the money. I'm pretty sure they said they're going to dump everything that's dumpable and all that prior to selling it, though.

15. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

That's cool, then. Glad it will help his dad. Makes you wonder who will get it and what will happen with it. Just letting it sit there being able to say "I have it!" seems boring to me, anyway. If they don't get the CD drive working, that would be the best thing the new owner can do.

16. BloodyThunder

BloodyThunder Member

I'm just glad beyond all belief that it turns out that not only was this prototype real, but it's completely functional (for the most part). The fact that his dad was able to get it for only $75 with a bunch of other stuff, having no idea that was going to be in it, would definitely have to be one of the steals of the century.

17. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

Do we know what the Hitachi chip on the cart marked "0.95 SX" (with the actual part number obscured) is?
    The suggestion is that its a ROM chip of some sort but how sure are we of that without seeing the part number underneath the orange sticker? Based on what I see (including what could be connections to the SONY Ram chip immediately above it) I think this part could be some sort of microcontroler with embedded ROM of some sort.

Its a pitty we dont have a photo of the underside of the cartridge since that would help map where the connections go between the various chips.

18. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Update video from him they are going to start desoldering stuff.

19. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

You can tell he's super stoked about what this created for his life. Seeing it boot up is always good news. Fingers crossed.

20. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Hell yeah dude but, I just don't get why Nintendo nor Sony are saying hey Yes that was made by us. I know about how Nintendo backstabbed Sony but look at them now with the PlayStation.