Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Thanks HI_Ricky!

A very rough translation of the article linked to these pictures seems to indicate that the cartridge with the OS on it is broken/malfunctioning. Although we can see some sort of bios screen above, still good to know that it's working even partially.

sa1 likes this.
  2. LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood SNES and 64DD Savior

My analysis of the insides shows that the SuperDisc is apparently just your regular SNES with a CD drive. It doesn't have any powerful chips.
    The cartridge is more interesting, it has 2 SNES WRAM chips. Considering the SNES only has one, and the amount of WRAM is 128KB, we can say the cartridge has 256KB of WRAM. It also has 8K of static CMOS RAM (the chip at the top) and then your expected SuperDisc BIOS.

Also the copyright is 1991, which suggests it has been worked on quite early on at around the release of the Super Famicom.
    Pretty neat.

sa1 likes this.
  3. NintenFan

NintenFan Member

4. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

It's great that he finally booted it up. I imagine it felt great to play a game of Street Fighter 2 on the system.

5. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

Someone used active flux maybe?

6. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Wow a Bios and everything, I wonder if software can be made for it, if it is just more ore less a mockup. Doesn't really matter, there's only a few of these out there.

7. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Now that we have pics of its insides, all we need is a dump of the cart and the custom chips and someone can start reverse engineering it. Someone could make new Super CD consoles and games for it at that point.

americandad likes this.
  8. cawley1

cawley1 Spirited Member

Reading through that Google translated article, does it really mean that the Father bought some crockery from his old company, and when they turned up this SNES CD was also there in a box???!

>According to Father Terry said, he was originally a company called Advanta Corporation's work until the company went bankrupt in 2009, the company's court auction items.At that time he had spotted a group of the company's cups and saucers, so the Internet to US $ 75 bid for a few boxes of items including cups and saucers batch.After Terry received several boxes of items that was found in addition to the batch of cups and saucers he wanted, but also with some music CD and game cartridge, but this machine just put together with the game cartridge.<

Seriously, that is some crazy luck if it meant that! Best $75 he will ever spend!

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  9. LuigiBlood

10. cawley1

cawley1 Spirited Member

See, that is where I personally feel differently about this. I think it's incredible that this system has shown up and can be seen working, but I do not see any point in reverse engineering it.

To truly appreciate the possibilities and nostalgia the SNES CD would have given, it would have had to have been released at the correct time, and have games made by the likes of Nintendo, Square, Capcom etc. Making games for it now would just not be the same. It's a little like the Konix Multi-System emulator available these days - it's incredible this has ever been achieved, but without the console housing and moving chair all us UK loving gamers saw so often in magazines back then, it's just not the same...

Someone recently got Road Avenger running on a stock SNES using a special cartridge with tech in it that could not have been achieved back in the early 90's. If there is no additional hardware inside this unit, we already have the possibility of making CD style games on the SNES, so it makes the whole reverse engineer a moot point.

BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

We reverse engineer it for preservation, that is why. There is so little hardware out there, and no guarantees what is out there will work for long. Preserve now while we can.

12. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

+1

Keiji Dragon and sabre470 like this.
  13. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

So, after almost everybody gave them the advice to not turn it on before opening it and checking the boards, what did they do? Get an AC adapter somewhere and turn it on.

[​IMG]

Later on the article, they mention the CD drive doesn't work. Yeah... why i'm not surprised? I can't guarantee they broke it, but why do it in the first place? Specially when they were going to meet someone with skills to check if it was working. If they wanted to turn it on so desperately, why not do it months ago? Oh well.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  14. dclover56

dclover56 Rising Member

I think the CD drive doesn't have enough power.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  15. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

They turned it on long ago. How do you think that guy knew it was called the Super CD in that early video?

16. LuigiBlood

By looking at it. http://i.imgur.com/HvBKn1x.jpg
    What's that logo over there in the middle?

Keiji Dragon and sabre470 like this.
  17. crissybwoy

crissybwoy Enthusiastic Member

Logo says Super Disc

18. LuigiBlood

No one really called it Super CD. Or it's a slip up. It happens.

19. rob black

rob black <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Where are all the people calling it fake now? lol

20. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

ok, I didn't know it was on the system.

rob black likes this.