Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Mattetch

Mattetch rebuilding collection one cartridge at a time

amazing, but my question is why did it take this long for the pre-production prototype to emerge? and i believe there would of been more than 5 if it came that that far into the design process, moldings are in appearance of finalization phase and not like they were still tinkering around with aesthetics.

what i'm curious is what else was in the box that the system was found in? and if any documentation about the system details what the design of the build were and or was supposed to be...

2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Thanks for coming back, man. I assume your life has been pretty hectic since all this started. We appreciate you keeping us in your thoughts. I personally didn't think you'd be back given the crapstorm of attention that has now fallen upon you. Everybody is just a bit overzealous to help. They all want to be a part of something so monumental.
    +1 Completely agree.
    Short and sweet.

3. HoosierThompkins

HoosierThompkins Newly Registered

This sounds fairly similar to our legal rules, except (as far as I know) we don't have any cool Latin term to describe abandoned property. Which is surprising given our common law's love to appropriate the Latin language to make something sound more complicated than it is :).

Fair enough, but I don't see why that article would lead you to believe, or infer, that his father was contracted on the project. It just sounds like his dad was a janitor at the facility who had a nose for holding onto important things that were tossed out. There's a difference between keeping something that your employer tosses in the dumpster, and misappropriating a prototype that was on your boss' desk. Your original response was written like it was the latter scenario that was at issue.

Truthfully, I was wading through these threads and Reddit, waiting for someone to scare him with bunk legal advice or threats.

If he wants to talk to an attorney, by all means, but I wouldn't do anything beyond an initial (likely free) consultation. I am wading into deeper legal waters than I am familiar with, but it's my guess that any attempts to sell this prototype will be protected by the first-sale doctrine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

captaintripz and Intrepido like this.
  4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

HoosierThompkins is again on point with conversations I've had.

5. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

Alright, fair enough. Anyways, seeing as Secret of Mana was originally planned for this system, I could imagine it having more content than the SNES version.

llazy77 likes this.
  6. giru85

giru85 Newly Registered

All that lawyer thing it's pretty ok..
    But let's not forget the real deal, please OP DON'T plug that thing without some expert by your side; or quickly dump the rom & copy the cd (if there's any in the trey)
    Anyway congrats on your awesome find

7. gamefan508

gamefan508 Newly Registered

Wonder why would Olaf leave it at work anyway ? Maybe he was showing it to someone and never botherd to take it afterwards ?

8. Gamesquest1

Gamesquest1 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

well the company he was working for had just gone bankrupt, its probable that he just cleared up his office and threw away his "old junk", he was afterall told to toss it by sony, i guess it didnt hold much significance to him at the time

9. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

After some extreme budgeting and number crunching, if this goes to sale I am willing to pick it up for around $75,000 to about $85,000. If I were to get it I would likely dump the cart, copy the CD, and then find a museum for it to reside in. (After having someone with a lot of hardware expertise check it for leaky parts, etc)

Bobo Mcloud and Gamesquest1 like this.
  10. NetYaroze

NetYaroze Robust Member

Ok I offer $ 50K ...stop posting shits guys, I am the future owner... :D
    If Dan do not want to sell, well, I save some money... lol

11. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Majority of the messages you'll receive are trolls and time wasters. If anybody, @Borman is the man to contact if you ever decide to go further with it. I hope we do hear from you again soon. Just avoid the press, anybody trying to price the thing for you. They'll only pressure you.

jrronimo likes this.
  12. phoenixdownita

phoenixdownita Spirited Member

Let's assume this is the Sony unit that supposedly played both SNES + enhanced CDs.

What can we expect out of the enhanced CD part?
    Something like the recent MSU-1 enabled games that we can all enjoy via higan or SD2SNES (google them if you want to know more)?

The cart in the picture is dated 1992 (the sticker), so I doubt that by that time Sony had finalized much of the rich 3D experience of what would become PS1, alas we are not sure the unit and the cart are related.
    If the unit itself is a late 93 then maybe some of the PS1 tech was already being played at at Sony and maybe it contains some enhancement chip for 3D-ish support.

Not sure but already if enhanced CD support was limited to MSU-1 like specs and we assume the unit was targeted at late 92, early 93 likely the unit would have proven popular (assuming a reasonable price).
    As it is MSU-1 games have better video streaming capabilities due to higher color count of the SNES. Stremiang audio also makes many games tunes much better. So even a simple AV streaming processor would have been seen as a welcome enhancement.

13. captaintripz

captaintripz Newly Registered

I wonder if they had implemented disc copying security on that yet, or if it was too early.

I'm thinking the CD-based games it was capable of playing were very different than the one the PSX played, as it was not until after the Nintendo/Sony contract fell through that they decided to make PSX geared towards 3D poly based games. Probably started off like from what we saw on the Cd-I, 3do and Sega CD before it progressed to what PSX was doing in comparison.

There was likely (2) internal versions from Nintendo and Sony, just based on the variance of a few different model types from images out there. Sony was likely building their own, as was Nintendo. Not sure if that's been mentioned already or not... but seems to be the case.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  14. pato

pato Resolute Member

Interesting, there is a bit of controversy over partners here.

Back in the 90s, Gradiente (the official partner of nintendo to sell products here) and TecToy (partner for Sega) appearently made a lobby to convince government to tax anyone who tries to sell consoles without being them, even if it was the offical caompany.

Well, those two are almost gone today, Nintendo doesn't exist here anymore, and even with another partners after Gradiente they didnt care either, Sega went out of console business, so Tectoy didn't publish anything outside of it

Today, Sony and Microsoft manufacture and sells their consoles here.

15. Dnldbld

Dnldbld Member

I got your message. The person at the retro game store I was referring to is a good friend of mine and very knowledgeable with these kinds of things. I will see what he has to say, but I can tell you now, it probably won't be much. He probably has seen all of this online and doesn't even know it's me because I don't believe he knows my last name. He'll probably just be speechless and not have anything good to say at all lol.

Muramasa and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  16. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

You should record his reaction.

PS: Borman is probably the next best person to handle this, after an old school Sony engineer. Not to put pressure on you or anything, but I'd put it in a big padded box with handle with care stickers all over.

17. Dnldbld

Dnldbld Member

haha that's a great idea. I just might do it. I have something in the works right now and I hope it goes through, (not a sale) but if that doesn't go through I just might talk to Borman.

18. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Also record Borman's reaction if you end up speaking to him.

hateWinVista likes this.
  19. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

@Dnldbld I hope you didn't get too much trouble from any unsavory chaps being jealous that you have that cool prototype and they don't

20. Dnldbld

Dnldbld Member

nothing bad has happened yet. keeping my fingers crossed

Getta Robo and hateWinVista like this.