Nintendo SNES PlayStation finally uncovered! [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING!]

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Asianat0r, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Brian

Brian Member

The X generally denoted "Experiment". Even with the original 3D PlayStation, that stuck around long after PlayStation was launched - we just all kept saying "PSX" instead of "PlayStation". I'd surmise that the X in the SFX-100 meant the same thing.

Greg2600 likes this.
  2. Dnldbld

Dnldbld Member

Sorry I haven't been keeping you guys up to date. I've been really busy the past couple days and my phone has been blowing up like crazy. I'm in the midst of talking to some people about the console and getting it verified and everything. I'm not going to sell it right now and I don't plan on doing anything stupid like plugging it in or taking it apart, so everybody just calm down. The majority of the messages I have received made me assume that everyone out there just thinks I'm some dumb ass who got really lucky. Sure, I got lucky with this find, but I assure you I'm not retarded. Anyway, I'll let you guys know what's going on with it once I hear more about some plans. It's really hard for me to decide what to do with it because my mind has just been racing ever since this exploded.

Cheers,
    Dan

3. dclover56

dclover56 Rising Member

Thanks.

4. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Ignore them. They're just angry they didn't score something this cool.

MBMM likes this.
  5. nesboy43

nesboy43 Active Member

Glad to hear from you. Try not to let all these people get to you, honestly any insults they have come from jealousy. No one should be treating you like that though.

Just know that for every mean spirited person there are tons of enthusiasts like myself that are just incredibly excited at this discovery that are really looking forward to further developments.

Glad to hear you are going to take it easy. There's definitely no need to feel pressured to make a decision on this thing now.

Best of luck.

6. FoxZero

FoxZero Rising Member

Thanks for coming back, it's just the Internet, everyone thinks everyone else is retarded so don't worry.

sa1 likes this.
  7. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

That will be the best way i think. Cool down, sit back and dont do any stupid at all.
    Btw thanks for anything so far.

8. Gojiratron

Gojiratron Rising Member

Remarkable find and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about this when things calm down. All this talk about Nintendo/Sony getting involved is really presumptuous. If they have the legal right and they're going to come, then they'll come; no point worrying about that or people getting on your case giving you "advice". Just because they can doesn't mean they will though.

9. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

Dan didn't sign anything and neither did his dad. He said his dad acquired it from an employee, but his dad himself was not one.

Are you seriously this naive? You think that if he contacts Nintendo with a lawyer that they will simply just sign over ownership like that? Not likely at all. Its much much smarter to let sleeping dogs lie. If he contacts Nintendo about it then that forces them do take action. If he leaves it be then they may just simply ignore it.

Yes it would be a shame, and honestly the fastest way for it to happen is if he contacts Nintendo about it. Its not about ignoring the legal side of things, its about taking his time and making decisions that aren't completely foolish.

-doulomb

10. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

This coming to light made me so happy, I've been wanting one to sit next to my Taito WowWow.

Seriously though, very interested to learn what's in that casing, what's on the cart. Hopefully it ends up with someone who wants to share.

11. GameScanner

GameScanner Active Member

Dear Dan,

Thanks for coming back and replying. I don't think anybody here implied (or even thought) that you are a "dumbass". Quite the contrary. But you DID get incredibly lucky, so please understand the people here are worrying about you and your "Pandora's Box". This is history in the making and I'm glad you decided to come forward.

Dan, could you post some more detailed pictures of the unit?

12. NetYaroze

NetYaroze Robust Member

I offer $ 10K, close thread.... :D

jrronimo and llazy77 like this.
  13. Setzer

Setzer Newly Registered

Just wanted to jump in this thread and say thanks to Dan for posting pictures and a video of this incredible find. I remember reading EGM articles talking about this console and the CD attachment Sony had been developing for the SNES. It was something as a teenager I couldn't wait to get my hands on. As someone who was an avid gamer at that time, seeing this prototype brings back memories of those days. Thanks!

14. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I think the only advice you should take right now is to store the device well and wait a few weeks before doing anything. People are understandably eager to learn more, but no action is often better than a precipitated one.

E.g. if it has to be opened for inspection and checking the right current the psu require, it should be done by high-level experts engineer, just like paintings are studied in museums.

Also, listen to no advice. Including but not limited to the two I gave here.

PS: I still can't believe it, HOLY SHIT! Man you made a million people's day, if not year. I'm glad to see that you're willing to share infos/research on the unit and not just interested in selling it as fast as possible for as much a possible. It seems in good hands.

Kudos!

jrronimo and Gamesquest1 like this.
  15. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

I'm amazed on the ammount of desperation. It's the July 4th weekend, of course the guy disappeared. He's probably enjoying his time with his family.

Just be happy the thing exists. I really think Borman is probably the best person that can help him right now, but at the end of the day, it's his choice.

In the meantime:
    [​IMG]

Dnldbld, jrronimo, MSX and 1 other person like this.
  16. HoosierThompkins

HoosierThompkins Newly Registered

I just registered for two reasons.

First to say, that, like everyone else, I am thrilled about the discovery and can't wait to see what it yields. Retro gaming/gaming history is a guilty pleasure of mine, and gives me a feeling of nostalgia that I can't find through any other products of my youth.

Second, I wanted to point out that the above quoted post is filled with nothing but BS lay-person legal conjecture. I'm a lawyer, and while this shouldn't be taken as legal advice, I think the OP and others should know that there isn't any legitimate threat of legal action against them. What the above-quoted poster doesn't realize is that the OP is not in privity of contract to any of those NDAs, destruction agreements, etc., that may have existed. Those are contracts between Sony and Nintendo and their employees. Sony/Nintendo's cause of action would be against Olaf (or the employee who broke the contract by not destroying the prototype), not some lucky dude who benefited from the malfeasance by discovering the prototype in an attic.

Of course, this is all assuming that the statute of limitations hasn't ran on the claim (which I am assuming it has). Then Sony/Nintendo have claims against no one. And, of course, the other giant assumption is that Sony/Nintendo care enough about proprietary information on a 25-year-old product that never made it to market to threaten legal action and start rattling legal sabers. I'm guessing they don't care enough - especially considering they realize their claim against the OP would be frivolous.

Thanks again to the OP.

Dnldbld, jrronimo and Mattetch like this.
  17. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

People are, quite understandably, very curious for more details. Don't let all the messages and attention give you a bad impression. There are many reasonable people on this forum who would genuinely love to see the console be studied, documented, and preserved.

Thanks for everything you've provided so far!

18. lunarworks

lunarworks Newly Registered

You're one lucky guy.

Take the best care of it, and in the end, don't let some bozo collector buy it and hide it away forever. Get some guarantee that it will be publicly visible at times in some capacity.

19. HoosierThompkins

HoosierThompkins Newly Registered

Ehh... I am sure your friend is a nice guy, but I don't agree. This is a basic question of property and abandonment of property. Sony and/or Nintendo abandoned the property acting through their employees/agents. If OP's story is true, Olaf intended that the property be tossed. That is a bar exam-esque fact pattern that shows clear abandonment of property. When you abandon property, you lose your claim of ownership to it. It doesn't matter how tightly you've bound up your claim to ownership with NDAs and other intellectual property protections.

It's moot that Olaf violated a contract in tossing it. Any claims that arise out of this would be against him, not some dude who found the property.

It's good advice to consult an attorney, but my opinion is that the OP takes the prototype free and clear of any claims of ownership.

This is ridiculous. Where did you go to law school?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
    takeshi385 likes this.
  20. Intrepido

Intrepido Newly Registered

I'm also a lawyer, but a brazilian one. Of course there are particularities in every country, but the private law of western countries tend to have the same general rules. That said, HoosierThompkins opinion seems much more accurate than the one captaintripz wrote. There are no legal binding between Dan, or his dad, and Nintendo/Sony.

If brazilian law was to be applied in the case, this would be the line of thought: At the moment Olaf ordered the unit to be tossed away, it became "res nulius", which translates from latin to "nobody's thing". Therefore, as Dan's dad chose to keep it, he became the legal owner and can do whatever he wants with it.

HoosierThompkins can say if what happens in US is something similar, but I guess it is.