Nintendo DS Modding?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Cooleo, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Cooleo

Cooleo Dauntless Member

So my DS arrived today (Original) which i'm going to to use for modding purposes. I just would like to know the following, What parts are required to be connected to the main board for it to turn on? Do the touchscreen and top screen have to be connected for it to turn on?

Thanks

2. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

I think it will turn on fine without the screens attached.

A friend had a broken DS which he got for free, just the bottom half and he played GBA on it.

3. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

On the original firmware, checks are performed to determine if the screens are connected and the firmware will shut down the power if one of them is disconnected or damaged.

To Alphagamer:

Maybe the one you saw (or heard of) had "flashme" or other custom firmware installed.

To the OP:

With flashme you can bypass that using the recovery hook, but you won't get the DS "dashboard" to boot.

If you're using another replacement firmware, it would probably work fully with only the lower screen.

Due to the way the power supply is designed it won't operate correctly without the battery pack being connected.

It will work without the touchscreen, mic and wireless antenna. though.

Also just to mention, the firmware is stored in a SPI flash ROM on the Wi-Fi module.

4. Cooleo

Cooleo Dauntless Member

So the screens have to be connected, Does that include the touch screen overlay? I couldn't even get it to show the LED as green without them attached.

5. l_oliveira

It will turn the led on, for half a second (just enough time for the DS detect that there's something wrong) and then shut down.

And the touch screen won't make a difference.

READ what I wrote earlier and you will notice that I mentioned it won't even power on without the BATTERY.

6. Cooleo

Cooleo Dauntless Member

I had the battery in place, It's just failing to turn on. I thought this may be why

7. l_oliveira

It was broken already ? It might be missing an inductor on the circuit board.

Considering that the DS is a child's toy, it's quite often dropped.

I fixed countless units with larger passive parts detached from the motherboard. Usually one of the large SMD inductors come loose after a drop.

8. Cooleo

Cooleo Dauntless Member

Hmm, I had it running before I took it to pieces.

9. l_oliveira

then the screen flat cable is just not connected correctly.

10. Cooleo

Cooleo Dauntless Member

Hmm, it seems to be connected correctly, but it still doesn't want to turn on

11. ChiefPFF

ChiefPFF I Fix Stuff

..or the cable's got a break in it. Doesn't need to be ripped - a heavy crease could do it.