Nintendo Announces the SNES Classic

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by mspeter97, Jun 26, 2017.

1. mspeter97

mspeter97 Spirited Member

The console will launch on September 29th and will cost $80.
    Odds are it will be out of stock even faster than the NES Mini due to the inclusion of Star Fox 2.
    Here's hoping Star Fox 2 will be the finished build Dylan Cuthbert had when developing Star Fox Command instead of the one found on the internet.

Here's the full list of games:
    • Contra III: The Alien Wars
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • EarthBound
    • Final Fantasy III
    • F-ZERO
    • Kirby Super Star
    • Kirby’s Dream Course
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man® X
    • Secret of Mana
    • Star Fox
    • Star Fox 2
    • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Punch-Out!!
    • Yoshi’s Island

2. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Rapidly Rising Member

USA version:

[​IMG]

European version:

[​IMG]

3. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

4. Sp33dFr34k

5. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

They only have the first Donkey Kong Country on this thing? Boooooo...

6. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

It'll probably be the completed Star Fox 2. I can't wait till people rip it.

NexTheReal, DSwizzy145 and Domspun like this.
  7. Darkhero

Darkhero Active Member

Even though Nintendo says they'll ship more units than the NES Classic I'm sure it will still sell out right away. Also gotta love how the Capcom games are the only ones with the ® symbol.

There are quite a few underappreciated SNES games and some classics that aren't included, but most of those belong to other 3rd party companies or have some other license attached to them. The lineup seems to cover all the basics though given how many of those already have rereleases I'm not sure how much it justifies the price.

I wonder if that includes the multiplayer.

8. Sp33dFr34k

Speaking of which, Amazon.co.uk just sold out. The link I posted above still has them available for preordering.

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

While it's a matter of opinion, the SNES has a pretty large library with many highly regarded games. Naming 20 "good" games is easy. Perhaps you aren't that familiar with the library, or they aren't to your liking, or you are biased against it for some reason. For myself I can without looking at a list name many good SNES games, but I have trouble doing so for the Genesis. But I wouldn't deny it has a good library of games. I'm just not as familiar with it.

The lineup is smaller than the NES one but the NES Classic had plenty of arcade titles like Pac-Man, Mario Bros, etc. These games are all solid. It was brought up to me that it's somewhat surprising that Super Mario All-stars was left out. Sure there already is plenty of Mario in that lineup but it would have been a good addition. Still this product isn't really aimed at many of those that post at this forum. I think most of us would rather play the real thing or already have their preferred and superior emulation setup.

10. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Interesting thing is it seems to use SNES controllers

A lot of RPGs are missing, could of had the (poo) Final fight on it then bung the rest of them on it as I remember liking 3

Im a Sega kid, all my SNES exp is from Flash carts or what ever games I have

11. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

The controller ports could be on the back.

12. MottZilla

If they were going to put a Final Fight game in the mix the best choice would be Final Fight 3. The worst would be the original Final Fight as it's a crappy port.

DBloke, I had a SNES and that's what I'm generally more familiar with however I did have many friends with Genesis systems (even one with the Sega CD) so I was familiar with some of the Genesis titles. What really helped out was emulation back in the late 90s/early 00s as I played many Genesis games on Genecyst and later Gens. I still prefer the SNES but I ceratinly appreciate the Genesis library. So you might find the same for you with the SNES if you give it a chance.

Edit: I noticed in the Super Famicom version's pictures that the SNES controller ports are actually a cover that opens downward to reveal ports that are likely the same as the controllers used on the NES one. https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/74fe7608-5638-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    DS2 likes this.
  13. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Robust Member

14. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

So the controllers are not the original old ones.

Really... they could sell controllers for "longer" than these limited plug and play sets. But yeah, the executives will think a whole set of controllers available to buy would hurt the new console's sales I guess. "Some consumers will buy a new controller for their old systems and not buy the Swtich whole set"

15. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I decided just to get the real thing. As I learned with the Famicom, Japanese Carts are dirt cheap aside from a few exclusive games.

And the super expensive games, Getting a Everdrive the thing pays for itself once you load the first super pricey rom on it.

16. storm132

storm132 Site Supporter 2016

This is actually pretty neat for someone like me. Personally I wouldn't play it an awful lot, the SNES is just a little before my time but I don't dispute the fact that there are plenty of great games on it.

This is probably going to be my Mom's Christmas present; she loved her SNES :)

17. MottZilla

In my opinion the real hardware is the best way to play the games. As you said an original console + flash cart will cover a lot of ground for you without being terribly expensive. But even still the original hardware route isn't the best for everyone. It's very obvious that many people don't clean their games. This can cause them a lot of problems that they won't have with something like this, or emulation. And also many people don't want to collect a bunch of games or hardware that takes up lots of room.

To sum it up, this and the NES Classic weren't products for either of us or many others here. If we wanted to emulate these games we already could do so.

18. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

Because of the NES Classic fiasco, I'll pass on this one, but thanks for the Star Fox 2 rom!

19. MottZilla

I agree, assuming they are as careless as with the NES Classic and the ROM can be easily extracted.

20. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

Apart from Starfox some really great games, I'd gladly trade it for any other game (hint Secret of Mana 2)