Nights...Limited Edition?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Moo, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

According to this article Christmas Nights originally booted as Nights: Limited Edition. It didn't change to christmas nights until christmas eve? Is that correct? I can't find info on Nights limited edition online anywhere. Checked Sega Retro and Wikipedia.

2. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Well, it's April 19th and mine says "Short Version". When it's Christmas time (I can't remember the specific dates) it turns to Christmas Nights, complete with Christmas songs, festive looking level, etc. The rest of the year it looks and sounds like a demo of the regular Nights. Although you still unlock presents and stuff, the looks aren't festive.

3. chaoticdaos

chaoticdaos Considering imagining what cannot exist

No Christmas Nights was Christmas themed all the time regardless of console clock. It really was essentially a Christmas Demo of Nights if I remember correctly.

4. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

yep, that's right.

5. speedyink

There's definitely two different themes, there's the regular theme and the Christmas theme. Mine starts up with the regular Nights theme.. I thought I had to change the date to get the Christmas theme, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I played with the Christmas theme, since honestly I prefer the regular Nights theme. I played it a bunch collecting presents to unlock the Sonic Nights a few months ago.

6. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

The internal clock was not used, but rather you set the clock when you boot up the game. You could set any day you want from there

7. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

I tested this for moo last night, felt like a turd, i thought it was always in Christmas mode, realized i was only playing it during december everytime.... LOL

8. speedyink

Excellent, I'm not going crazy then, lol.

skyway1985 likes this.
  9. Energy

Energy Spirited Member

The saturn version had different looks and feels depending on when you played it. Not just the date, but the time too! For a glorified demo it was immense. I never had to enter the date prior to playing, it was just picked up off the saturn clock.

Quotes from the Nights into Dreams Wiki http://nid.wikia.com/wiki/Christmas_Nights_into_Dreams - although they're at least missing one theme, the halloween one. It also fails to mention some of the subtle cosmetic changes in the levels:

Game Modes
    Depending on the time of year the sampler is played, the game may load as something other than Christmas NiGHTS. This only affects the appearance and music of the main game.

• NiGHTS: Limited Edition: When played outside the winter season, the game becomes "NiGHTS: Limited Edition". The game's presentation (title screen, menus and in-game) is similar to that of the full version of NiGHTS into Dreams with no visual alterations.
    • Winter NiGHTS: In November and January, the game changes to "Winter NiGHTS". Spring Valley is now covered in snow, and the entire stage is decorated with Christmas objects replacing various items and objects (ie. Ideya Captures are replaced by Christmas trees). A different soundtrack also plays. During this time, the weather will change based on the time it is played.
    • Christmas NiGHTS: The core of the game, Claris, Elliot and NiGHTS wear Santa-colored outfits, and the background music is replaced by an instrumental rendition of "Jingle Bells". The game's Christmas story is also enabled, as well as a Christmas-themed boss battle with Gillwing. Beating Gillwing with both characters will show the story's ending, with credits featuring the A Cappella version of Dreams, Dreams.
    • New Year's NiGHTS: The game becomes "New Year's Nights" when played on New Year's Day. The game is essentially Winter NiGHTS with a different title screen and song.
    Time Changes
    Certain alterations will also take place depending when the game is played.

• If it is Christmas, Santa Claus will appear.
    • If it is New Year's Day, a message saying: "Happy New Year!" will appear.
    • If it is Valentine's Day, some hearts will appear.
    • If it is April Fool's Day, The player plays as Reala instead of NiGHTS.
    Also, during the holiday season, the snow can change depending on what time you play.

Time Effect
    3:00 AM Lunar eclipse
    6:00 AM Northern Lights
    7:00 AM Bright sun
    9:00 AM Crescent moons
    12:00 PM Rainbows, clouds & confetti
    3:00 PM Candy
    6:00 PM Strange stars
    9:00 PM Bright stars
    12:00 AM Hearts​

skyway1985 likes this.