Newbie Supergun / Arcade questions!

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by Trenton_net, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Hi everyone,

When you purchase a Supergun and a motherboard, like an SNK Neo Geo motherboard, I assume the Supergun gets the power, and the motherboard draws power from the JAMMA connector edge from the Supergun? Or is it the other way around? Or for that matter, do you need power to both the Supergun and the arcade motherboard?

Another question I had was with Superguns themselves. Does anyone manufacture a cheap supergun that doesn't require a PC-like power supply or something massive? Or anything that comes in an enclosure?

To be honest I'm really on the fence between a Supergun, or a consolized MVS. The former solution would be better since it works for all arcade hardware, but I'm not sure how 'clean' it would be since I'd have to piece it together. For consolized MVS system, you have options (Iexpensive) like Omega or something more homebrew.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. :)

2. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

it gets it from the jamma connector so it's an all in one solution minus power supply. if you even want to say... try you hands at a legit Contra PCB or something like that and not be limited to just neo, supergun all day. im sure you can make a nice setup for it that looks clean. also better cost than a dedicated consolized MVS.

3. Jackhead

Jackhead Moderator Staff Member

4. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

MAK Strike Superguns do look nice, however I noted that they have a rather serious (?) flaw with them. Since +5 is always connected to the joystick ports (even when powered off), as soon as you power on the system, a large voltage spike comes down the line. Anything connected to the joystick port is effected by this spike. Most notably, if your using a converter/decoder board like the Undamned USB decoder for PS3/360, your more than likely to fry it.

@skyway1985: Any ideas how you could make a clean setup for something like the "Supergun ProGamer RetroelectroniK"? I don't have any ideas. Maybe somehow re purpose a computer case or something?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

When it comes to connecting arcade boards, I tend to just wire things up without any special casing or contained system.

I tend to wire different systems up differently, so generally I have a way I would wire a basic jamma board and different ways I would wire a Sega Model 2, or Naomi or Namco System 2X6 board depending on its own requirements.

I really could say I have no one "super gun" solution for everything. I basically have a regular screw terminal arcade power supply, a jamma harness, a gbs8200 video converter and a audio deamplifier for amplified jamma boards. I wire the harness to an neo geo cd controller. I guess I could put that in a fancy casing at some point.