New Zelda game to have day 1 DLC, Hard mode sold separately

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by pstrick1, Feb 14, 2017.

1. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

NexTheReal likes this.
  2. NexTheReal

NexTheReal Just call me Nex

Has Nintendo fallen so low to do this?

CrAzY and rso like this.
  3. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

You act like it was ready to go. The game has been done for a number of months by every report, so theyve been working on this in the meantime. The first content pack isnt until this Summer even, not Day 1. Only some crappy stuff for Day 1 as an incentive.

People are going to have to suck up that $60 isn't going to maintain games and pay more up front, or accept season passes as additional revenue.

M. Bison likes this.
  4. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

I for one am for $80 base price with the return of more "complete" releases.
    (also cheaper post launch content)

NexTheReal likes this.
  5. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

I mean, it does have day 1 DLC. I don't feel like I put too much emotion or judgment in my first post.

CrAzY likes this.
  6. Borman

Its garbage stuff. Anything worthwhile is months away, and the crap early on is to try and hook people to maximize profit and have them invested in the game, which also minimizes resale if you know they already paid for content that is to come. It's a business.

And $20 gets you more than just that anyway:
    Pack 1 - Summer 2017
    • A new Cave of Trials challenge
    • Hard mode
    • "A new feature for the in-game map"
    Pack 2 - Holiday 2017
    • A new dungeon
    • A new "original story"
    • Additional challenges

7. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

I miss the days when everything a game had to offer was released all at once.

storm132, Consulli, CrAzY and 4 others like this.
  8. Borman

Pay $80+ a game and be okay with delays and that might happen :p

finalkillcams likes this.
  9. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

Should I be happy the DLC seems worthless and gives barely any content, or sad that they are charging $20 for essentially nothing?

CrAzY likes this.
  10. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Back in the Super Mario 64 days I would have been more than happy to pay $20 and get 20 more stars to collect. So I don't think DLC is bad, I think it's very good.

I however do not understand day 1 paid dlc. Because in the weeks between the game reaching gold and it being manufactured and shipped to the customers I'd rather have the devs work on a day 1 patch that fixes the bugs a game of this magnitude will most certainly have and not on dlc.

And seeing how small the day 1 part of the dlc is, my guess would be that half of the dlc is already on the cartridge and just locked away. Which has a rather salty taste to me. Ofc this is only speculation and maybe the game doesn't even have any bugs to fix and the dev simply used their available time to expand the game with their best intentions in mind.

So let's just wait and see before we judge Nintendo's new business strategy of squeezing you of every last penny. Would have been a nice touch if the DLC was included in the collectors edition though.

11. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

12. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

The Legend of Zelda is such a great game imo. I hope they start working on a new one now and put all devs on it from all different game titles tbh. It needs more attention imo tbh. This DLC is good too.

Edit : lol wouldnt it be cool if there was two dlcs and then we could like fight over which friend has which dlc and which is cooler! Id just get both tho cuz nintendo. id be more than happy to pay anything cuz im a dumbass. hope their is day 1 link tunic different colours, but I want them to charge per color, cuz that makes it more special tbh imo

p.s. they shuld add grinding aspects to gameplay of zelda then provide dlc to alleviate that. I like when others struggle and i pay money.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  13. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

The Day 1 DLC is a shirt and two other items (or three? can't remember) and we don't know what those are.

Hard Mode and Cave of Trials is coming in the summer. The additional story+dungeon is around holiday time.

I just think all of the people crying about this are ridiculous. I agree with your original point: this is a good thing. If BotW is as good as it's looking to be, a new dungeon will be more than welcome 8-9 months from now. It's absurd that people are acting like Nintendo cut something out to do all of this. They aren't Capcom.

14. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

At least they can use the excuse: "well, the majority of people will not bother playing the hard mode anyway, so we charged for those really interested".
    Yeah

CrAzY likes this.
  15. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I'd pay top dollars for an easy mode... :D

16. rso

rso °

Next logical step: pay-per-level (or -dungeon). Save money by not finishing the game!

CrAzY and NexTheReal like this.
  17. M. Bison

M. Bison I'll see you all at 3:15!

I love how everyone intentionally misses "NEW" in "New Hard Mode" as part of the DLC. This implies that there's a hard mode existent in the game already.

New Hard Mode better make Link a fucking left-handed swordsman again.

The worst thing is how Nintendo timed this announcement. They could NOT have announced this at a much worse time.

jp. likes this.
  18. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

I'm going to call BS on this statement. The game industry, like so many others, refuses to look inward on rising costs and consumer dissatisfaction. People don't want most games to be "maintained"; they want them to work relatively bug-free. "Maintenance" costs to push out bug fixes would be much lower if they just stop releasing games before they are actually done.

CrAzY likes this.
  19. Borman

But the flipside to that, which doesnt apply as much to a company like Nintendo, is what about when there is no money? Even a company like Nintendo has a budget for a project.

Im sure like any industry, there is tons of overhead that could be cut somewhere too. I agree that its more complicated than just saying $60 isn't enough, but honestly, the costs are way up, for good reasons or bad.

finalkillcams and jp. like this.