New Sonic Xtreme video

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. The-Silmarillion

The-Silmarillion Spirited Member

That video was a good watch, the fisheye camera certainly was a bit disorientating to begin with, though I guess you could get used to it after
    sinking your teeth into the game. There doesn't seem to be any way of determining where a platform ends however (at least, when running towards the camera) so I could imagine falling off the level...a lot. :eek:h:

I thought the remnants of Sonic Xtreme were cobbled together to create the Sonic Museum area in Sonic Jam, but having researched 'Xtreme a bit more that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Those scans of the 32x build are taken from the Sonic Xtreme video on Sonic Jam too if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  2. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Since when was a video or any image of Sonix Xtreme on Sonic Jam?

3. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

I think that depends more on the level desing rather than the fisheye camera.

Anyway, is just me or it looks better than Mario64?

Dunno, is like if Xtreme hasnt aged as bad as that other game...

4. The-Silmarillion

The-Silmarillion Spirited Member

Well the video in 'Jam actually refers to a game (which I suppose is what would later become Sonic Xtreme) called "Sonic Ride".

These images were definitely lifted from this video.

5. Nitrosoxide

Nitrosoxide Resolute Member

what was Sonic Ride? Was it actually refered to as a game....

I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with xtreme.

6. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

i'm sketchy ont he details since i havn't played sonic jam since 97 or 98. can anyone provide video or screenshots?

7. hxc

hxc Guest

Sonic Ride was a virtual roller coaster, if I remember correctly.

8. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

there were 3 builds of Sonix Extreme, right? THe crappy fish eye effort, NiGHTS engine and another that looked as if it was based on the BUG! engine. This version actually looked the best.

Yakumo

9. hxc

hxc Guest

Well, to be honest I'm not sure any more.

There was the pre-xtreme builds, which were done by Don Goddard on 32x and some unreleased nvida based console.

Then there was the fisheye version that Ofer Alon and Chris Senn worked on, which was on PC.

This ran at like 2fps when ported to saturn, and was half-ported properly by an external company.

The STI team had the nights engine for 2 weeks, would have been worked on by Chris Coffin and stuff, I am not convinced that any sort of gameplay was ever made on it, I'm trying to get this confirmed through my contacts, hopefully will have a definite answer within a few days!

Coffins "boss" engine which is the one you see in 3D arena shots, and in the emulator taken shots at http://projectsonic.com/1/ was developed by "Project Condor" part of the team that split off to exclusively develop the version after the fisheye was declared unworkable. It was going to be used for the final game and was the last engine ever used for the game until Coffin worked himself into the ground and Mike Wallis realized that they would never make the deadlines. I suspect the build assembler is releasing a video of is indeed a very very early coffin build, although as I said, I want to confirm this either way, to get a final answer... looking back over a post he made on a forum..

"if you look at a game like NiGHTS, what they did was draw their base heightfield terrain layer out alittle father, fogged it and made it hilly and downward sloping before they stopped drawing it so you wouldn't have such an unsightly horizon in your game. This is what xtreme did as well because it looks good, hence all the parallels and speculation that we had NiGHTS source."

Looks to me like they never had nights source...but other things say they had it for a short period of time.. I'm getting confused now.

Cost over $5million in wasted sega cash! I think it was the largest video game budget up until Shenmue....all wasted.

10. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Fiery Member

So let me get this straight... the posted Youtube video is of a fanmade game? Or of a fanmade level for an STI developed engine? Or...

11. hxc

hxc Guest

The videos posted in this thread are all of levels from the game that was developed years ago, these were captured on VHS and Senn ripped them.

12. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Wait, what? there was a bug-like version without the fisheye? I never heard of that...

And as far as I know they couldnt get their hands on the nights engine cuz naka was against the whole project.

13. hxc

hxc Guest

They got the nights engine for 2 or so weeks before Naka went apeshit over it and threatened to quit. NiD was his baby at the time.