New Sonic Xtreme video

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Chris doesnt have the levels.

2. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

I know, is Ofer who made the PC version and levels.

3. wingedwolf

wingedwolf Member

didnt Ofer made the saturn version?

and didnt Chris made this level?
    he also made galaxy fortress and jade gully level.
    if you dont beleve me, go to senntient.com forums! ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  4. Blai

Blai Enthusiastic Member

Nice vid.

It would have been an innovative way to play sonic, since there is no other sonic game with a fish eye camera. I would buy something like that if it was done for a next gen console.

5. Borman

Ive talked to Chris a lot. Even though he made it, he doesnt have the levels, or at least to his knowledge, he doesnt have the levels.

I was the Art Producer on Project S until time constraints kind of ruined that.

6. hxc

hxc Guest

Gah. I know this subject is what got me into trouble last time, but what the hell.

Chris did make all the levels featured in the videos available, and they are ALL running on a PC.

Ofer made the PC version almost single handedly, with an editor and the like, although it was tied to certain hardware (NV1 etc etc). A saturn port of this engine was attempted by a group called PoV, causing contraversy due to the close links with the head of Sega US at the time. PoV claim that they probably have the source code to this still available, after someone else contacted them, but they messed up while talking to them somewhere, and the chances of getting that are very very low now.

Chris Coffin handled the Saturn version, a infamous build of which was sold on here, the NiGHTS engine as previously stated was never used due to Naka's threats.

And I am 99% sure that all source code to the game is still around, just of course, not in either public nor Sega's hands. Same with the levels although from what I gather they are in slightly more hands than the code itself.

Hope I don't cause any problems talking about this this time round ;P

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2007
  7. Nitrosoxide

Nitrosoxide Resolute Member

Borman, this actually really worries me. As I definitely have followed the project and your work is pretty fantastic. Unfortunately I'm getting the feeling that key people leaving ain't a good thing, and leaves me to wonder how the project is still holding up....Was it going smoothly when you left? Do you think your leaving had any negative impact?

The source code to the levels featured in the infamous Compedium levels is still around?

I think I'd have to believe it to see it. But, I damn well hope so, the videos sure do look beautiful.

8. hxc

hxc Guest

I would say with 99% confidence that yes, it is still around.

9. Borman

Na, it was nothing personal. Its just college and everything else didnt allow me to put the time in needed to be a leader on the project, and rather then hamper the game as whole, I would rather step down and let someone with the time to take over.

10. hxc

hxc Guest

Pretty much the same thing happened with me, was producer but kinda stepped down as I really didn't have the time to work on it.

11. Nitrosoxide

hmmm... Well I hope the thing turns out alright. The think about fan games is so few quality ones make it out there. In fact, I don't think I can personally say I've played a really good fan game.

I mean look at Chrono Cross Remake they were doing and the countless attempts at OoT 2D.

My hope is that Chris and Co get it done because of the draw of the project, and working along a original team member of xtreme, will make this game to turn out a quality product.

12. Borman

Chris doesnt (or didnt) participate as much as you would think, he just guides the project along, hes not dictating everything.

13. Nitrosoxide

Is he helping design anything? like characters, or is he just a guide.

14. Borman

Hes has some input, and can take over when he wants really, but most of the ideas are from the team as a whole. Id elaborate more, but I havent kept up to date, nor would I betray the trust.

15. Shadowlayer

Yeah Ofer did the Fish-Eye engine with Senn (althought he says Ofer did most of the coding) but it was Senn who made the levels since he was the artist.

Anyway, the point is that Ofer is the one that came with the idea of the fish-eye camera to fix all the gameplay issues. He did both PC and Saturn versions of that build.

About making a project group to finish this, I'm all for that but the thing is that who knows how SEGA may react to this...

They could try to sue us (in an attempt to scare most members) but considering the growing attention that companies put into what some experts call "customer imput" they may even give us a hand or something.

Who knows, maybe this idea could make those bigwigs at SOA reconsider the creation of a sonic game based on the Xtreme concept.

After all not everyday you get people telling you they want a game made 12 years ago to be released today...

16. hxc

hxc Guest

"Anyway, the point is that Ofer is the one that came with the idea of the fish-eye camera to fix all the gameplay issues. He did both PC and Saturn versions of that build."

No, Ofer did not do the Saturn version, he got rather angry when his PC code was taken to PoV and converted to Saturn without him knowing.

17. Shadowlayer

I know his level editor got stolen by some TD who then claimed to be of his own, but thats all as far as I can tell...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  18. hxc

hxc Guest

Lemme grab a quote from my email, if I can find it. Might be in one of my Yahoo logs though... this is from discussion with Mike Wallis, the producer of the game.

Me: "Very little has come to light recently, the only real intresting thing being the attempt to get POV's Xtreme, who apparently still have the code. (POV being the external port office Robert Morgan "backstabbed" ofer with), its in the main Xtreme topic at Chris's forums. "

Mike: "Yes, I remember the POV thing... I wouldn't say it was backstabbing byany means. Sega is a business and it needed the technology moved to the Saturn. Ofer was completely incapable of doing it himself, so Robert Morgan, being the tech director, took the code and brought it to a port company (that just happened to be his friend, so that was a big underhanded) in order to get it running on Saturn."

I should reaaally release all the interview work I've done with him to the community and internet at large... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  19. Shadowlayer

Dude I'm not saying its not true, I just didnt know about that...

20. hxc

hxc Guest

Ah sorry, took that wrongly, never mind. I should compile all of our emails into a releasable package sometime...