New Sonic Xtreme video

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Saint_Eve

Saint_Eve Rapidly Rising Member

Wow, that is a shitty way to go....*holds hat off to Sonic Extreme*

You say Team Sonic didnt make it? Why not, isnt that like the teams baby?

2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Considering that video is from the Sonic PC, i think your missing some parts of the story barcode. Go look it up on lostlevels for the best story on it

3. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Well I was more in touch with the Saturn version (news-wise) rather than the PC version of the game.

But it is safe to assume that the PC title wouldn't differ for obvious reasons greatly from the Saturn title, since Saturn was after all SEGA's target system and this was aimed to be a killer-app for the holidays.

4. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

According to producers Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya, the PlayStation version was 75-80% complete when development was restarted, and it has even been claimed that the only things left to do were implement the FMV clips and the ending for Elza's scenario (this has been sort of confirmed by a member of the company responsible for creating the game's pre-rendered sequences). Of course, there would also have been some last minute bug checking along with any necessary optimisation.

As for the Saturn edition, this wasn't a port of the PS code but a totally different story based during the same time frame with different characters. In fact, during a Famitsu interview a few years back Kamiya even suggested that this spin-off would have featured the same photographer - later resurrected for the Outbreak series - as its lead character. Capcom wanted to make the PS release their priority (as it would have been nearly a year late already), and by the time they got around to finishing the Saturn's parallel adventure it was decided the Sega console was no longer financially viable. I've heard a figure of 15% being used in connection with this version, so I doubt it reached a stage where it would be worth tracking down.

On the other hand, we're all desperate to get our hands on the last PS prototype or even the playable build shown at the Tokyo Game Show... or was it (even this is being disputed)? This game's still a mystery to so many of us, yet there's rumours of some people having it in their collections and too afraid to share because of Capcom's intent on prosecuting whoever finally starts of the leaking process. I've heard that members of Capcom's own message boards around the world are even been paid to report any signs of activity, because even they know such an important and well-publicised game can't stay underground forever!

Anyway, isn't this a thread for Sonic X-Treme? Shouldn't we really be discussing the many versions of that game instead? I'll start the ball rolling - does anybody know for definite if screenshots from the "Project Condor" stage of its development exist? I'd love to finally be able to determine the builds each of the many screenshots we've all seen came from!

5. TapamN

TapamN Active Member

6. NES-a-holic

NES-a-holic Rising Member

It's a shame i didn't make the shelves, the game would blow me away.It looks all good to me.

7. Nitrosoxide

Nitrosoxide Resolute Member

I dunno what the situation is, but there's a ton of material on the game including videos here

http://www.senntient.com/projects/xtreme/sxc/index.html

also, Project-S the remade/inspirational fan-game based off x-treme

has begun development, but its all very hush hush, and not much has been said. It will be on PC though.

Personally I'm more excited for that then an unfinished beta that on has barely one level of play. Of course it would be interesting.

I dunno hopefully, they'll do a dreamcast port.

Lol you can come join me in begging for one over at the senntinet fourms.

http://www.senntient.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000172.html

8. Borman

Every thing is hush for a reason :)

9. Nitrosoxide

Hmm.... maybe sega has taken interest and now its a next gen title or an offical dreamcast title.

Perhaps its a big surprise. Kinda strange for a fan game to be so secret.

10. Borman

Hah I wish

11. Nitrosoxide

A dreamcast port is a good possibility I think...

as the homebrew scene has grown pretty big.

If enough people show support for a DC version

12. Borman

Thats a long, long way aways, to the point where it wont even be considered for a long time ;)

13. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

After losing their battle to use the NiGHTS engine, does anybody else find it just a little ironic that STI then took a step backwards by reworking the BUG! mechanics? In fact, what did they do apart from add that awful lens flare effect that would almost have certainly reduced a Saturn port (bearing in mind virtually everything we've seen of Sonic Xtreme so far was still running on PC development hardware) to a frame rate close to being unplayable - never mind worth actually releasing!

Once the project was split into the "Condor" team and those still loyal to Ofer Alon's "Bug-like" work on the PC, it was clear that Peter Morawiec had the upper hand with his own Sphere Renderer technology, which I believe he later created some prototype bonus levels for when Sega needed something a bit more... well, 32-bit to replace the old special stages in the Saturn version of Sonic 3D that was intended to compensate fans for the loss of Xtreme.

14. Nitrosoxide

Also guys anyone really interested, there are amazing scans of magazine articles for the game over at Sonic Cult

http://sonic-cult.org/dispgame.php?catid=6&gameid=10

Plus, they have the E3 trailler which is really cool

http://www.sonic-cult.org/download.php?site=1&filename=xtremefootage.rar

Whats really interesting that I just found is a scan of a magazine with pics of the 32x version in early development. Check it.

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/xtreme/Sonic32X.jpg

Also an interesting tidbit is that apprantly sonic x-treme's sprites were used in sonic's schoolhouse, some random education game.

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/xtreme/media.html

15. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Nitrosoxide: mentioning sonic cult here is like putting a bomb in motion, because of many bad things happened between sonic cult, and ASSEMbler, heck the very old "war" between some neogeo forum, and ASSEMbler was a boarding school compared to what happened with Sonic cult and ASSEMbler, in a very bad way.

That is why I don´t say anything about Sonic Extreme out in the open here now adays.

16. Wolfrider

Wolfrider Spirited Member

That actually doesn't look half-bad. Which is to say that's its only 51% good, but I'd still like to actually play it.

You know what would be cool? If the Wii's VC and Xbox Live (and whatever Sony's equiv is called) released these unfinished products for download. Maybe charge a few dollars (most of it going to charity -good PR) and raise the profile of their services. I'd pay 5 bucks for this over Urban Champion any day.

17. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Talk about being late for the news, anyways...

After seeing most of the new Xtreme videos I've to say that while the overall gameplay isnt as fast as the E3 demo made us believe it was (like friggin fast, even more than the SA games) its still way better than what we finally got that year, which was that crappy ass 3Dblast port.

I wonder if SEGA could make Xtreme into the DS...

18. Dr_Slump

Dr_Slump Intrepid Member

The project was tossed, thus the rarity of footage material. So there is no chance to see this title for the NDS or any other system.

19. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Dude seeing the differences in hardware between the Saturn and DS I wouldnt say they could make a light port using the original code.

More like they would've to code everything from scratch.

But look at the bright side: the sprites are still in the net, so they could use those:lol:

Too bad that kind of prerendered graphics look outdated compared to today's standards...

20. Nitrosoxide

I think the crystal frost video looks incredible fun actually. Just my two cents.
    Wish the guy would release these levels he made but whateve.

And as for the look of them game, I'm all for new gameplay ideas and the game still looks colourful and fun to me even with todays standards