New Sonic Xtreme video

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

It's just an effect. If you notice the player circles the world several times over but never runs into the same area. I'm quite sure that the level itself is that of a side scroler but the 'fish-eye' lense actualy distorts the immediate area into a sphearicle shape.

2. Saint_Eve

Saint_Eve Rapidly Rising Member

Its a nice effect but does make one rather dizzy.

I was wondering, would anyone mind uploading that Space Queens tune? I rather like it.

3. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

4. KaL_YoshiKa

KaL_YoshiKa Commandent Lurker

The video made me a little dizzy too but I'd suspect you wouldn't feel as dizzy if you were able to control and prepare for what was going on.

Sadly it doesn't look like a Killer App just a rather good one, still love to play it though. The only 2.5D sonic isn't it?

5. Saint_Eve

Its a great song, though it seem the link isnt working... >_<

6. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

? Hmmm, I just tried it and it worked....

7. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

It was down earlier today ;) They had some site issues

8. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

kinda reminds me of the Thornado track by Factor5. That was a nice piece of music for a game, that will probably never see the light of day

9. Saint_Eve

Oh sweet, it works, thanks dude!

Im actually growing more attached to the game, I really didnt care about it before, but as I see more vids and such I grow more attached to it...

10. Barc0de

isn't attachment a way to the Dark Side? I foresee you ll be betraying ASSEMbler soon Saint_Eve, shame man :p

11. Saint_Eve

Oh lol, never! I dont have the game anyway, Im just saying that Im actually wanting it even more as I see more videos.

Ive read about all the previous times someone has sold a copy. I just wish this would happend with RE 1.5, Im a Resident Evil collector first and foremost, but I have a great love for betas in general, they are the forbidden fruit. ^_^

12. TheRedEye

TheRedEye Robust Member

What does this post mean? I don't get it.

13. Barc0de

I was just kidding :)

Obviously I am as interested as you in playing the video-showcased version of the game presented in that link. Of course I wouldn't mind a later version either.
    Having the ability to play an early version wouldn't be bad, but that would be just out of curiosity since no gameplay had been implemented.

RE 1.5 .. Unless the big C goes into liquidation or something of that sort and some brave folks actually know where the files are stored.. then I'd count more on seeing a version of X-treme than that:p

14. Saint_Eve

I would love to play Sonic Extreme. Ive been looking into it more and more... the next time another donation thread rolls around Im gonna make sure to donate. This game is looking cooler and cooler with every passing day. ^_^

Yeah, the big C (thats funny, Im gonna use that if you dont mind) is very anal when it comes to this one measly 9 year old game. I understand that the code is open, but they can just recompile it and sell it, with a huge warning.... GAME NOT FINISHED.... sigh, I shouldnt even get into this...

BTW, you guys remember the common RE2 beta? The one where the debug menu is only partially open? I was wondering, anyone know the story behind that, how it got leaked and all? Sorry for steering this thread in a different direction, Im very passionate when it comes to RE betas in general. Alos, read my sig ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  15. Barc0de

How far along was RE 1.5 completed?

16. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

When I now hear the word Sonic Extreme, I can feel a berzerker rage boiling inside me , that I need to stop through positive thoughts. Because of what has happened because of the name Sonic Extreme.

So I am VERY biased/ambivalent (to those who use that word instead of the English word) about all what has something to do with Sonic Extreme.

17. Saint_Eve

@Barc0de. Miakami himself ina an interview stated that it was 60% complete, though its beleived to be anywhere from 60% to %85. It was a fine game too, though I must say that the product we recieved was just as fine.

@WolverineDK. Forgive me, Im guessing you dont want me to call it Sonic X? OK then Ill change it to Sonic Extreme, Sonic X is that cartoon right? Was that toon any good BTW?

18. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

Nope. It was strictly for little kids, and wasn't really on par with the older Sonic Underground and Sonic SatAM cartoons.

19. Saint_Eve

I see, I was thinking that. Heres a question... Why was Sonic Extreme canned? Sorry if I sound like a first grade nub, RE1.5 was canned since Miakami didnt like where it was going, what about Sonic? It seems to me like Sonic Extreme and RE1.5 are the 2 most sought after betas, lucky Sonic Extrme has actually surfaced and is in a few collectors hands as I understand it.

20. Barc0de

Sonic X-treme was not developed by Sonic Team.

The team behind the project was consisted by some fairly ambitious folks, that weren't really at grips with the Saturn hardware by the time they saw the dead-line. That led to alot of trial and error , and the use of the Nights engine at some point.

The use of the Nights polygonal engine created some bad relations between the American and Japanese branch, that led to the hard scrutiny of the US based team, which eventually led to labeling the unfinished product as "crap" and thrown in a bin.

That said, the original plans for sonic x-treme were for multiple sega platforms, including the MegaDrive (32x or not, cant recall) as well as a PowerPC based , cart-ridge loading alternative to the Sega Saturn (a SOA design).

The crappy saturn development tools, in addition to the use of quads and the known Sh2/memory related issues etc, and lack of libraries, led to a slow development pace.