New Sonic Xtreme video

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

it would make me seasick while playing...

3. XerdoPwerko

XerdoPwerko Galaxy Angel Fanatic Extreme - Mediocre collector.

Looks interesting, certainly. It would definitely make many people dizzy, but the spherical worlds concept is supercool. The world is too deformed, as Yakumo said. But the idea is good.

4. Warakia

Warakia Beyond Cool

Yeah, nice concept but does not look very playable. There were moments in the video when the "player" made some crazy jumps that I thought couldn't be made. Also with the lens you don't have a lot of warning when jumps or enemies com along - effectively meaning that the only sonic "speed" tm you get is controlled by the game.

If I was playing that game I'm sure I would fly off the screen half the time.

Anyway, nice enough, I'm all for interesting art/concept direction in games.

5. Cheese007

Cheese007 Peppy Member

6. Rabid Peanut-Butter

Rabid Peanut-Butter <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

I don't think it looks that bad considering the time frame it would have been released and that the game was never finished. That being said, Sonic is one of those franchises that needs to stay 2D.

7. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Man, I liked it alot :-D

8. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

It looks like it would be really really hard!

9. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

The music piece playing (Space Queens) is obviously added to the mix for the video, as it's one of the two music pieces floating online left from the game.

The gameplay reminds one of Bug! and Bug!2. Not bad, not bad at all. Considering this was the age of blooming for 3D platformers, it might not be Banjo Kazooie, or Super Mario64, but it sure looks more interesting than games such as Tonic Trouble or (pardon me) Crash Bandicoot.

I know there's been alot of hate surrounding the subject, but I must admit that the Fisheye camera doesn't bother me at all. Remember when we played Wolfenstein 3D? or the first DOOM? now that's what I call dizzy vision!

It's at this point that I d rather play the unfinished game than live with the myth of what could have been. The levels, although incpomplete surely, look quite fun for a quick spin ;)

It actually looks fun for my taste, regardless of it being an unfinished game. Its not pure curiosity now for me, but more like a feeling that I want to play :cool:

10. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Reminds me of MS' dash for games for win95 to get people to start using it as a gaming platform instead of DOS. They were probably pissed at all the potential sales loss. Saturn was still fairly expensive in 96/97 and you could concievably get a used pc and slap in a video card for $500 or so. I think I paid $2500 for a p133 in 1995 but that was bleeding edge.

Tell mom and dad you can get your sonic on your pc AND type up all your homework and school reports and they'd be sold.

11. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

Well said, I don't understand what is up with the Sonic people suddenly acting like it's horrible to finally be able to play Xtreme after all these years, saying it will ruin the dream...wouldn't it complete it?

12. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

13. Saint_Eve

Saint_Eve Rapidly Rising Member

Exactly, I still enjoy the Sega sonics, you cant beat those in quality. The GBA ones are nice too.

14. 2D Sonic Rox, 3D Sonic Sux, it's simple :)

15. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

I like the concept alot. It just needs alot of tuning. Maybe the world should have been bigger in scale and not so small. As well it should have zoomed out more vs doing a fish eye lense when it was further away.

Other then that I though it was kick ass and would love to see someone recreate that again in a game.

16. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast is the only 3D Sonic game I have ever enjoyed. However, all of the media for Sonic X-treme has been superb so far!

I wonder if there would ever be a conversion to a Flash game...

17. cahaz

cahaz Guardian of the Forum

i really love the concept of the fish-eye, i adds lots of action sense, since everything is always moving, and it also add movement, coolness and adrenaline to everyhing (a bit like ssx), its sad that no games ever used it.

Otherwise, i agree with Rabbid peanut-butter, sonic needs to stay 2d.

18. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

The gameplay so far reminds me of Crash Bandicoot, only in fish-eye mode.

19. Kittyhawk

Kittyhawk Robust Member

I loved the spherical nature of the world, but I feel if I could actually play this game, I'd be frustrated with some of the turning.

The Sonic sprite is neat looking, though!

20. Sally

Sally Guest

Anyone else notice the cool realtime shadows?

I'm a bit curious about the level geometry, were the levels actually "roundish" or is that just an effect from the fish eye lense?

Just watching that demo made me a bit motion sick... (i thought we had a puking smiley... guess not)