New OG Xbox backwards compat update?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by Voxel Studios, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Voxel Studios

Voxel Studios Scavenging for dev stuff

Hi guys. Some guy over at GBAtemp is claiming that MS recently updated the 360's OG backwards compatibility layer to version 200, which apparently can be at least obtained through buying Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (which is currently available on GWG).
    What's really vexing me though is that, even when challenged, this guy hasn't really provided much solid or reassuring proof that the update's actually legit, claiming that his sources are a "deep dark internal forum"... Plus the fact I haven't seen any other sites touching on this yet, other than over there, so that's further making this hard to believe.
    So I'm initially asking here because I'm pretty sure this place is good at debunking this sort of stuff.

Cheers

Shadha likes this.
  2. Jaffacakes Kid

Jaffacakes Kid Active Member

3. IntelMiner

IntelMiner Member

Apparently the game is backwards compatible on Xbox One. I'm not sure why they'd add it to the 360 though

Guess the easiest way to tell would be someone picking up a copy on eBay or the like and throwing it in their 360

4. Conte Zero

Conte Zero Rapidly Rising Member

I am that guy who wrote on GBAtemp forum. The reference to "deep dark internal forum" was just sarcasm. Since the news was not published in a public forum there is nothing I can link to, unless I start to upload copyrighted software somewhere. It's not a big deal if someone trust me or not, I do not claim to have found some secret bug or to be able to hack a last gen console with a paperclip. The update it's just a small (but IMHO interesting) news: it could means that Microsoft is still interested in original Xbox backward compatibility. If someone wants to check for himself he can connect a retail non modded xbox to live, start one of the supported games and then have a look inside the hard drive to find "xbox back compat title update" with a recent date.

From a practical point of view this news is useless: if you are on a jtag xbox and you install this update you will lose the bigger compatibility of the hacked version; if you are on a retail non modded console the update will quietly download if you have a title that needs it.

Xbox 360 Backwards Compatability Update - 2018.jpg

5. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

the files could be checked against the ''latest no hacked'' version(2011?)
    but I have a feeling, it could only be a small improvement to the star wars game that was released as part of the games with gold program.

6. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

MS is shutting down live for 360 right? How is it going to download the update when I try a OX game now?

7. Jaffacakes Kid

Jaffacakes Kid Active Member

Not for many years, presumably, and by which time they will still allow the update to be downloaded on Xbox One for those playing on that system.

Most likely for the people still playing Xbox 360, I'd imagine once they do eventually shut down the servers that they will have the update (like system and avatars updates) on their website to load and install via USB.

PrOfUnD Darkness likes this.
  8. Conte Zero

Conte Zero Rapidly Rising Member

Developer Mathieulh managed to hack the new version of Backward compatibility (the Xbox emulator is called Fusion). You ca find the last version on his twitter account: https://twitter.com/Mathieulh or download it directly: https://mega.nz/#!Qkd3zQTT!XBCfyhcw_zWJ_ZHw7nQcyESh9oGkaeVKFdnF8LXfd6g

According to the Dev the original unhacked version add support for "Hunter: The Reckoning" and has a special version only for Halo 2.

The hacked version has those features:

* Xbe signature checks removed (lets you run unsigned code)
    * Xbe section hash checks removed (lets u run hacked xbes)
    * Game region checks removed (region free baby!)
    * Game media checks removed (play games from your hard drive)
    * Debug/Devkit xbes supported (run your own xbox1 code)
    * Attempt to play unsupported games (doesn't mean it will work hehe)

New feature since this release:

* NEW * Added in-game HUD support * NEW * (this will let you access the Xbox 360 in-game menu while playing your OG Xbox title!)
    * NEW * Added cross/in game voice chat * NEW * (this should let you use voice chat during OG Xbox gameplay, this is untested as I do not use online features myself, this may not work)

pool7 likes this.